1974 Mego Toy Fair Prototypes to Hit eBay This Week!

Started by ramsey37, January 15, 2008, 06:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramsey37

There was an interesting thread posted today on the Mego Museum:
http://megomuseum.com/community/showthread.php?t=7500
Someone involved in the 1974 Toy Fair saved a number of original display pieces, including an original Mad Monsters display box including four mint figures:

It has been speculated for some time that the scarce Flat-Top Frankenstein and Smooth-Haired Dracula were the original release versions of the Mad Monster figures. Apparently, someone at Mego decided that these were a little too close in appearance to the classic Universal monsters, so the hair color was quickly changed to blue and red respectively to cover this up. Both heads were soon after resculpted to the more common versions we see today. The current owner of these items is planning to list them along with the rest of the Mego items on eBay this month. It will be interesting to see how much they go for.
George
Where apathy is master, all men are slaves.

raycastile

It would be awfully nice to have that display box and those early head variations.  I suspect everything in this auction is going to break Earth's gravity and keep going until it crashes into Mars.  We can all sit back and watch it fly away.

Now where is the AHI Toy Fair find?
Raymond Castile

Toy Ranch

That right there is pretty darned cool.

Thanks George!

ramsey37

Here's a link to detailed pics of all the items in this collection:
http://www.megomuseum.com/megolibrary/1974Showroom/zalkin/
The Monster pics begin on page 9 and continue through page 10.
George

poseablemonster

It will be an interesting batch of auctions for sure. :o

The Toyroom

I wonder how many boxes the display box held? It looks longer than a regular WGSH Display Box...
Think outside the box!

*DROOL*

I kinna afford any of it but perchance to dream....

ProfGriffin

WOW!

Yeah these will be serious.
Oh man....those are nice.

Thanks for sharing this, if only to give me lottery dreams.

Rest in Peace,

Prof. Griffin
Horror Historian

gracebuster

Wich2

Neat stuff, Geo (saw it over at the Mego Yahoo list.)

Get a Mego FRANK ready to customize, and you see that it's still REALLY dicey, Uni-wise:

Take off the goofy Groucho eyebrows & Moe hairline, and a sculpt squarely based on Jack Pierce's design is revealed!
(With the disguise gesture of moving the scars & bolts.)

Best,
-Craig W.

ramsey37

An update was posted this morning at the Mego Museum. All of these items will hit eBay on January 28th. The seller is littlemarz. Gentlemen, you have thirteen days to plot your strategies and start saving your loose change. Personally, I have a 4 o'clock appointment with the Prince of Darkness to see about borrowing against my immortal soul ;)
George

darkmonkeygod

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Quote from: ramsey37 on January 15, 2008, 05:39:43 PM
An update was posted this morning at the Mego Museum. All of these items will hit eBay on January 28th. The seller is littlemarz. Gentlemen, you have thirteen days to plot your strategies and start saving your loose change. Personally, I have a 4 o'clock appointment with the Prince of Darkness to see about borrowing against my immortal soul ;)
George

Scratch 'n Wins, here I come!

Roback

Just when you thought the well was running dry these fabulous items surface. After a while you don't think there's much else that'll make your heart skip a beat but this is definitely one of those times. There's a two page article in Lee's that depicts some of the other items that were found. It's worth the cover price to hear the story behind it. On top of them being listed on the 28th, Bruce mentioned to me this morning that he will be starting each auction at $9.99 with no reserve. No reserve fellas! Time to crack open them piggy banks. 
Robert Acquarulo

CreepyJeff

Okay - SUPER dumb question of the week...are the Mego monsters officially licensed Universal Studios?  Obviously I don't own any of them and couldn't see a Universal license on any of the pics.   Thanks and forgive me ignorance.

Creepy Jeff
"Work...Finish.  Then sleep!"