Are You One of Lady Gaga's Little Monsters?

Started by judd, September 07, 2010, 11:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerfan

Quote from: Toy Ranch on September 08, 2010, 06:32:15 PM
I don't think of her as Brittney Spears, but I absolutely think of her in the same terms as Madonna.  She's a pop singer, better than some, not as good as others.  She sells herself and her music and has made herself a star because she does that very well.  She also correctly saw that serious stars who end up as tabloid fodder are no longer taken seriously, ala Amy Winehouse.  There was a time when musicians tried to do shocking things to draw attention to themselves, and certainly she does that enough, but when the shocking things aren't planned, but accidental (in reality or in appearance), you get lumped in with no-talent "celebrities" like Paris Hilton.  Brittney Spears is no longer considered musically relevant.  Lindsay Lohan, who was once thought by many to be a very good actress on her way to a possibly great career, is mostly viewed as a train wreck.  Honestly, her music does nothing for me at all, but like Madonna in that regard, I grew to admire the way she handled her career and remained on top for a long time.  Lady Gaga seems to have those same qualities, and I'm becoming more interested in her for that.  Her music...  nails on a chalkboard to me.
She is a good business woman to be sure and markets herslef very well as madonna always has. I dotn hate all modern pop music. I like Alicia keys and a few others. but for the most part i prefer the oldies. Like AC/DC.  LOL
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

Sean

Quote from: raycastile on September 07, 2010, 04:15:57 PM
Yes, I am totally one of her little monsters.

She is a major fan of monsters, horror, science fiction.  She especially loves German silent horror and 50s sci-fi.  You can see these visual influences in her wardrobe, videos and photo shoots.  For instance, the wig on her "Fame Monster" album cover is inspired by the Golem.  She peppers her lyrics with references to monsters, vampires, werewolves and the macabre. 

Her lyrics do not include specific movie references to the extent you find in Rob Zombie songs, but she has referenced Hitchcock and Kubrick.  In "Bad Romance," she sings, "I want your Psycho, your Vertigo schtick, want you in my Rear Window, baby it's sick." (These are official lyrics from the album notes. You will find inaccurate lyrics on some websites.)

Her videos for "Paparazzi," "Bad Romance," "Telephone," and "Alejandro" are steeped in horror and science fiction imagery and scenarios.  They are very dark and macabre.  Lots of visual movie references.

In interviews, she talks a lot about what monsters mean to her, her pop culture influences, what she draws from different periods in art and cinema.

She thinks of herself as a "monster," saying she grew up as an outcast, being made fun of, never having friends until she was older.  So she identifies with monsters.  Her clawed hand gesture is the "monster sign."  It's like Lugosi's tarantula fingers, frozen in one position.  She'll make that hand sign on stage and her fans make it back at her.

Her concert tour is called the Monster Ball.  I saw it when it came through St. Louis this summer.  Her stage show is like Rocky Horror meets Alice Cooper meets Resident Evil meets MJ's Thriller.  Very theatrical.  Lots of blood, zombies, post-apocalyptic sets, combined with Ziggy Stardust glitter and glam.  At one point, a huge 20-foot tall Lovecraftian tentacled monster comes out on stage and battles Lady Gaga, who defends herself with a glowing sceptre.  If I remember correctly, the monster eats her.  At another point, zombies pin her down and eat her, George Romero-style.

Throughout the stadium concession areas, her "helpers" were running around dressed in vampire outfits, with black capes and white faces.

She's worked with Marilyn Manson, and apparently is doing something with KISS.  She's totally into the goth/horror/monster scene all the way.

I had no idea, Ray.  Thanks for the info.

Debs

absolutely! i flew over to london (from rome where i live) to see the "monster ball" tour, although at 40 something, i too fall outside of the "little" demographic category...
Debs

Dr.Teufel Geist

I'd rather stab icepicks into my ears, toss acid into my eyes and gurgle a mouth full of  broken glass....  8j68j68ju

;D  definately NOT  a fan of (Loosely put) Lady GagGag...

raycastile

Quote from: Debs on September 15, 2010, 06:26:37 AM
absolutely! i flew over to london (from rome where i live) to see the "monster ball" tour, although at 40 something, i too fall outside of the "little" demographic category...

Ha, by that measure, I'm not so "little" myself.
Raymond Castile

RedKing

I actually have become a fan of GaGa. At first I thought she was just another teen pop singer, but when I listened to her lyrics and saw her videos I liked the music and her persona. I definitely picked up on the horror vibe and figured she must be a monster fan.
Crazy am I? We'll see if I'm crazy or not!

Drew Bludd

Her music is so far out from what anybody else in her field is doing.

Anyone who sings about Hitchcock and covers herself in blood is okay with me.

Nicole

Lady Gaga is overhyped. All that stuff about being an outcast and not fitting in, being "different" and "controversial," blah blah... Sorry, but Marilyn Manson has said and done that all before. I wasn't impressed when he did it, and I'm not impressed by this one either.
"If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly." -Ashleigh Brilliant

I am the Female Dracula

I've heard quite a few of her songs, and although she thinks she's Jesus, I adore her!! Monster, Poker Face and Telephone are probably my faves. And I really like the whole horror thing she's got going on
"Supernatural? Perhaps. Baloney? Perhaps not. There are many things under the sun...."

MrZero

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but as I'm new around here, these threads are all 'new' to me.  ;) I just found this thread today.  I posted a bit about Lady Gaga in marsattacks666's "Bored with local music scene" thread and thought there wasn't a chance that anyone here was very familiar with Lady Gaga, much less that they had any kind of respect for her at all.  I had no idea about her penchant for classic films and monsters.  I will say that I am forced to listen to a lot of current rap, pop and dance music and Lady Gaga is better than most of that stuff.  I'm still not a fan of her music, but the more I hear about her, the more I think I'm becoming a fan of her as a person (regardless of the music).

Scatter

Mr Zero, reviving dead threads is a GOOD thing. Revive to your heart's content. You may re-ignite something.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Fester

Mr Zero

You are carrying on an old tradition running from the first cup of Tanna Leaf tea to Dr Frankenstein running up his power bill.

Revive Away!

But when you do, don't forget to shout: "ITS ALIVE!!!"

judd

I'm resurrecting this old thread for an update.  She has transitioned her career.  She's going to play Harley Quinn in the upcoming Joker movie.  She only preforms a few concerts a year now.  I have a ticket to see her jazz and piano concert this summer.

My mother was a fan of her and I'm going to the concert in her memory.  There's a display of her fashion and props in a location near the concert at the MGM Grand.  It's usually only open on the weekend but I hope it's open on the concert day, which is on a Wednesday.

I have a jacket and t shirt to wear.