Horrifyingly Mad

Started by Illoman, December 30, 2011, 12:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illoman

Can anyone tell me anything about this book? I know it was a Barnes and Noble exclusive, but I can't find much info on it. I saw it posted on Facebook a while back, and just found a copy at a Half Price Books tonight. Pretty nice collection of Mad-style artwork and stories. Was just curious how rare it is, if at all. It's odd not being able to find out much about it....

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/horrifyingly-mad-john-ficarra/1100060765

Gasport

Sure thing, Mike...there's an ad for it in the current issue of MAD magazine. Looks like reprints of their past Horror spoofs.

Cinemacabre

I bought one at a brick and morter B&N last week for $9.99. A terrific book!
D'Entre les Morts,

Cinemacabre

ChrisW

Illoman or Gasport - who did the cover?

BTW, did either of you pick up the new Jack Davis hardcover? I received it for Christmas, had some very nice reproduction. My only complaint - you had to go back to an index to read information about the illustrations, rather than having it on the same page as the reproduction...

Illoman

Quote from: ChrisW on January 06, 2012, 06:17:48 PM
Illoman or Gasport - who did the cover?

BTW, did either of you pick up the new Jack Davis hardcover? I received it for Christmas, had some very nice reproduction. My only complaint - you had to go back to an index to read information about the illustrations, rather than having it on the same page as the reproduction...

This will fill you in:

http://www.madtrash.com/maddb/books/show.php?id=030001299

ChrisW

LOL - I see why you didn'yt just answer the question - talk about art by committee!!!

Illoman

Quote from: ChrisW on January 08, 2012, 07:25:05 PM
LOL - I see why you didn'yt just answer the question - talk about art by committee!!!

Exactly. There really wasn't a short answer!   ::)

zombiehorror

Just found this one a little while ago while looking for Too Much Horror Business!  Looks  great and for $9.98 it's a real bargain!

marsattacks666

Quote from: zombiehorror on October 05, 2012, 11:16:41 PM
Just found this one a little while ago while looking for Too Much Horror Business!  Looks  great and for $9.98 it's a real bargain!

I saw the book too. Definitely a great bargain.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

RICKH

I picked this up at Barnes and Noble this weekend.  It is a great book at a great price. 
I have a funny story about something connected to Mad and EC comics.  First, I live in rural western Kentucky where rarely does anything related to horror or comics occur.  So anyway, I teach art in an elementary school and I share my  art room with an afterschool program.  One afternoon the lady who runs the program came  in after my classes had ended for the day.  We talked as we often do and in the course of the conversation she told me that she had attended a family reunion during the summer.  She mentioned that her great uncle Angelo had come down from NY or NJ and that he worked as an artist.  Just out of curosity I asked what his last name was and she said Torres!  Honestly, I was dumbfounded.  I said, "Angelo Torres!  He's was an EC comics artist!  He's a legend!"  She didn't know about his work for EC, Warren or Mad.  She told me that she would get his autograph at the next reunion and talk to him about his work.  I showed her some of his work for Warren and EC and she was very impressed.  It is a small world.
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

Scatter

Did you get Uncle Angelo's autograph on some original art?
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

RICKH

You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)