Enlistee's art gallery!

Started by mzlaveau, December 03, 2007, 03:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareee

That's working fine! And I like the "eskimo" look...

dlhenderson

Thanks, Gareee. I don't know what the heck was wrong with that file.
BTW, that piece was chosen for Spectrum 14. They actually gave it a full-page.
The judges musta been drinkin' somethin'...

Gasport

Really exceptional and interesting work, DL ! Totally original spin you've got going on and not just on this piece, but EVERY one. This most recent piece makes me want to check my eyeglass prescription! I keep trying to focus and re-focus, yet the image is crystal clear. Really screws with your head. VERY enjoyable and inspiring...keep 'em coming!

dlhenderson

Thanks, Gasport. Most people who've seen that piece don't like looking at it (for the reasons you described). My eyes are askew anyway (strabismus amblyopia), so to me she just looks like a rather attractive girl!
Below is one of the more difficult pieces. Getting the subtle gradients juxtaposed with the graphic facial features was a daunting task. Thanks for enjoying...

Illoman

Man, each piece you post just gets better and better!! Have you ever done one of the classic monsters in this style? The results could be stunning!

Thanks for posting these, and keep 'em coming!!

Mike

ChrisW

Holy smokes, DL. Jaw-droppers!
Did you submit anything to Spectrum this year? And did your inclusion in previous years create any leads for you?

Gareee

You did a creature, DL... have you done a Wolfman, Mummy or Frank? I'd love to see a Godzilla or Kong as well!

dlhenderson

I've drawn a million Frankenstein doodles over the decades, but I haven't quite gotten to the point of having a satisfactory idea.
I think I love the character so much that I find it difficult to put my own spin on it. For some reason the Gill Man was easier to mess with. I'll have to hunker down and give it some concerted effort. I did post a mummy of sorts, earlier on this thread.

dlhenderson

Scatter

Quote from: dlhenderson on March 09, 2009, 10:46:03 AM
Thanks, Gasport. Most people who've seen that piece don't like looking at it (for the reasons you described). My eyes are askew anyway (strabismus amblyopia), so to me she just looks like a rather attractive girl!
Below is one of the more difficult pieces. Getting the subtle gradients juxtaposed with the graphic facial features was a daunting task. Thanks for enjoying...

This one I love!! The girl with 2 mouths makes me nervous. Never get a word in.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Gareee

That's close to a wolfman! ;) Man, you are prolific!

dlhenderson

Quote from: ChrisW on March 09, 2009, 11:48:42 AM
Holy smokes, DL. Jaw-droppers!
Did you submit anything to Spectrum this year? And did your inclusion in previous years create any leads for you?

Chris, sorry for the delay in a response. This year I did submit a couple of pieces. I've been in four of the last five volumes. It's a very nice book. In answer to the second question: NO. I actually was a bit surprised that nothing, nada, zippo came of it. Oh, I did get a call from a guy trying to sell me a page in another annual! There have been a couple of periods when I made an effort to get some real illustration gigs. I got some nice "thanks but no thanks" letters. When Kim Mohan was editing Amazing (in its last manifestation) he was receptive to my work but was never able to use me. That was when I was working primarily in colored pencil. I did a piece for Nancy Collins; the 10th anniversary edition of Sunglasses After Dark. She hired ten artists, one for each chapter (when Bernie Wrightson had a conflict, she plugged me into the chapter he was going to do). I did a couple of LP covers years ago. Basically I've always been an outsider with this stuff. Ironically, I know a couple of illustrators who have had DOZENS of sci-fi book covers published, but have never been able to get into Spectrum. Go figure. I guess my stuff is weird enough to be noticed, but too weird to be used!

dlhenderson

Illoman

Please tell me you had that one sitting around and didn't just "whip" it up? That is awesome! I love the wetness of the teeth!

Mike