Wizard World Chicago: Hulk Smashes my admiration for his work: Lou Ferrigno

Started by Anton Phibes, August 20, 2016, 11:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

So, a friend of mine went with my brother to this convention.

http://wizardworld.com/comiccon/chicago

Lou Ferrigno in attendance.

He charges $40 for his autograph at these shows.

I asked my friend to get an item signed..... from my collection.

What I sent was an autographed photo from the Hulk show.

One that Bill Bixby had signed years ago.

He immediately removes the photo from its plastic protector.

He puts thumbing in it, not handling the item with any care at all. IE he damages the photo.

Before he signs it.... he notices Bixby has signed it.

He then declares that because Bill had signed it (25-30 years ago), he was going to charge $80 for his signature.

What. The. Heck????

My brother called me from Chicago with all this delightful news.

I obviously declined.

Lesson learned: Lou Ferrigno is a greedy jerk.

God only knows what his motivation was for attempting this.

So tomorrow, I will get my photo back.... damaged.... with no Lou Ferrigno signature. Not that I even want it signed now.

I have no intention of pursuing his autograph on anything. Ever.

Insane Experience. >:(

I don't believe I will be able to watch the Hulk show moving forward without thinking: "What a colossal douche bag". ::)


Howler

"That ain't tactics honey. That's just the beast in me."

Wolfman

He's a has been that should be charging no more than $10. Now that you know what a big jerk he is, I'd be happy NOT having his signature on anything.

JP

Haunted hearse

Lou Ferigno was such a jerk, that they began using the Hulk Character as little as possible in the show which bore his name, building up other characters as well.  The fact that Ferigno was angry over seeing Bixby's name on the photo, shows he still has serious butthurt, after all those years. 
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Haunted hearse on August 21, 2016, 12:52:08 AM
Lou Ferigno was such a jerk, that they began using the Hulk Character as little as possible in the show which bore his name, building up other characters as well.  The fact that Ferigno was angry over seeing Bixby's name on the photo, shows he still has serious butthurt, after all those years.

Do you think  he was angry over it? I have trouble understanding his motivation for acting this way....so perhaps it was anger. Crazy. Bill Bixby's been dead since 1993. ???

michblk

Sorry Anton, I've heard horror stories about how he sometimes treats fans.

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

Haunted hearse

Quote from: Anton Phibes on August 21, 2016, 01:13:35 AM
Do you think  he was angry over it? I have trouble understanding his motivation for acting this way....so perhaps it was anger. Crazy. Bill Bixby's been dead since 1993. ???
I would suspect that's why he demanded $80 dollars.  I can't imagine why else he would remove the photo form it's protective sleeve, treat somebody's collectable so badly, and then demand double his price for signing it,
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Haunted hearse on August 21, 2016, 01:24:22 AM
I would suspect that's why he demanded $80 dollars.  I can't imagine why else he would remove the photo form it's protective sleeve, treat somebody's collectable so badly, and then demand double his price for signing it,

I have heard stories of Adam West wigging out on people if its a multiple signed item and he is the last one to sign..... or if the item is already valuable, and perceived as "worth more" if a celebrity signed it. Maybe Lou thought I was going to re-sell it so he used that as a deterrent, thinking a "real fan" would gleefully just pay out the nose to get him to sign. $80 is too much money. Back in the day, Vincent Price signed anything you sent him. For free. As long as you included an SASE. Or he could be angry and bitter as you say. You're probably right. I have heard he talks constantly about his past rivalries with Arnold Schwarzenegger. So maybe he had something like that going with Bixby. Wouldn't surprise me. Sadly, i don't care if I get Big Lou to sign anything now. Oh well, money saved for purchasing other collectibles,lol.

mjaycox

This is a sad, all too common story.

But I want to restore everyone's faith in humanity, including celebrity humanity.

Two weekends ago, I was at the Flashback convention in Chicago, and had the good fortune to meet the great Malcolm McDowell for the first time ever. I spent a delightful 5-10 minutes with him discussing one of my favorite films of his: "O' Lucky Man!" and how I first saw it when I was 17 and considered it a life-changing film for me. He smiled so widely at me, it made my day. He then directed me to YouTube where I could see a one-man stage show he did on his filmic collaborations with Lindsay Anderson.

The item I brought with me for him to sign was my boxed CRM Toys (think predecessor to Hot Toys) figure of Alex DeLarge, called "Crime Cure Boy." It is one of my prized possessions. Far from demanding to charge more, given that he was going to sign it and likely increase it's worth, instead, he was like "Oh'Ho! Can I see it out of the package?"

I replied "Sure!" He took it out and scrutinized it for a bit.

"Bloody hell, they even got the nose right! Most don't, y'know"

I replied I did know.

He then gave me  a shrewd look, and said, his blue eyes twinkling "Of course you know, it's TOTALLY illegal right?"

I confessed that I DID know it was unlicensed, and said that I hoped he wouldn't hold it against me, since it was made in an era when there was absolutely NO Clockwork Orange merchandise to be found. 

He chuckled a bit, and then signed it boldly on the front in gold marker. He then shook mine and Nancy's hand and thanked me for reminiscing. I thanked hm for all the hours of viewing joy he had given me and walked away. No loitering around. No selfies. No one waiting behind me getting impatient.

It was probably the best celebrity signing interaction I have ever had.

So, it is still possible.

Best,

Matt
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Anton Phibes

Quote from: mjaycox on August 22, 2016, 01:47:10 AM
This is a sad, all too common story.

But I want to restore everyone's faith in humanity, including celebrity humanity.

Two weekends ago, I was at the Flashback convention in Chicago, and had the good fortune to meet the great Malcolm McDowell for the first time ever. I spent a delightful 5-10 minutes with him discussing one of my favorite films of his: "O' Lucky Man!" and how I first saw it when I was 17 and considered it a life-changing film for me. He smiled so widely at me, it made my day. He then directed me to YouTube where I could see a one-man stage show he did on his filmic collaborations with Lindsay Anderson.

The item I brought with me for him to sign was my boxed CRM Toys (think predecessor to Hot Toys) figure of Alex DeLarge, called "Crime Cure Boy." It is one of my prized possessions. Far from demanding to charge more, given that he was going to sign it and likely increase it's worth, instead, he was like "Oh'Ho! Can I see it out of the package?"

I replied "Sure!" He took it out and scrutinized it for a bit.

"Bloody hell, they even got the nose right! Most don't, y'know"

I replied I did know.

He then gave me  a shrewd look, and said, his blue eyes twinkling "Of course you know, it's TOTALLY illegal right?"

I confessed that I DID know it was unlicensed, and said that I hoped he wouldn't hold it against me, since it was made in an era when there was absolutely NO Clockwork Orange merchandise to be found. 

He chuckled a bit, and then signed it boldly on the front in gold marker. He then shook mine and Nancy's hand and thanked me for reminiscing. I thanked hm for all the hours of viewing joy he had given me and walked away. No loitering around. No selfies. No one waiting behind me getting impatient.

It was probably the best celebrity signing interaction I have ever had.

So, it is still possible.

Best,

Matt

So, Malcolm M.=cool dude. 8) Lou F.= Doo doo head. :-X

Gillfan

Celebs, as humans, have good days and bad days.
I've seen fans act in very disrespectful ways and I've seen celebs be amazing.
Frankly, I don't know how they put up with it.

Being in NY , I have a fair amount of celeb interaction and 9 out of 10 times they are nice. Just like people.
We don't know what went on in their business day or in their personal life.
We also don't know if there was some issue with the item or a misunderstanding.

So sure, perhaps Lou isn't the nicest guy, but I bet for every bad story about him you could find a fan with a positive story as well.


Haunted hearse

I had had a pleasant time at a book signing with the late writer Ray Bradbury, where he signed a couple of books for my wife and myself.  he didn't even charge.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Gillfan on August 22, 2016, 02:28:42 AM

We also don't know if there was some issue with the item or a misunderstanding.

So sure, perhaps Lou isn't the nicest guy, but I bet for every bad story about him you could find a fan with a positive story as well.

There weren't an issues with the item, I have had it and know its integrity/pedigree. There was no misunderstanding. he said flatly he had to charge more because it had Bixby's signature on it. My brother is trustworthy, as is my friend. Ferrigno had some motives (greed, anger, lack of a well balanced fiber enriched diet, perhaps?) but any "issues" were all his. :-X

There are a crap load of stories all over the internet about his attitude towards fans....I didn't believe any of them. I have now had a personal bad experience, and can confirm. He's a doo doo head.  Maybe you can meet him one day and he will be nice to you. He stays in the doo doo head column in my book however. Have a great day. 8)

Gory Glenn

I coughed up the $40 at Wondercon and felt it was excessive but being a fan I succumbed. It was $40 for a sig or pic, I opted for pic. I talked to another attendee and he said Lou is at all these conventions. Good way to supplement your income I guess but to charge extra because someone else's signature is on there seems like gouging to me. Technically he may have been right since a photo with both signatures is worth more but it's not a good way to treat a loyal fan IMHO.



In contrast I got a signed copy of the script for "Dawn of the Dead" by George for $65 which I thought was an amazing bargain! Look how thick that thing is!


mjaycox

"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes