Post your Halloween tin toys!

Started by Hepcat, October 26, 2020, 01:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Noisemakers and other novelty items made from tin were a big part of Halloween up until about 1960. Kirchhof Life of the Party Products, J. Chein, U.S. Metal Toy Mfg. Co. and T. Cohn were among the most noteworthy manufacturers of Halloween noisemakers and sundry tin toys.

Here are some from the collection of Ghost:

Quote from: Ghost on November 10, 2013, 07:25:50 PM

All are made from the 1920s-1950s. Most are from German or U.S. manufacturers. Most of mine are from the 1940s. I inherited them from my grandma.

The wind up witch with cat that makes a yowling cat noise as you crank it is made by T Cohn Inc. it is rare I have never seen another although I have seen other noisemakers with the same witch picture but with a pumpkin instead of cat on the ratcheting clicker handle types and the squeeze clickers.

The hammer shaped rattle with the sexy witch and the hag on the other side is made by Kirchof "Life of the Party" Products and is fairly common.

The hammer shaped rattle with the flying witch on broom, black cats, pumkins, owl, bats, and witch peeking over the fence with a cauldron is made by U.S. Metal Toy MFG Co. and is less common.

If a Halloween item is made from tin and was produced in the United States or Europe, it's guaranteed to be vintage and belongs in this thread. So post yours here!

tynhrt
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Here are some from the collection of the CGC forum's Robot Man:

hmjfym

Hepcat

Here's one measuring four inches in diameter that I inspired T. Cohn to produce back in the 1940's:

It was also produced with a green background on top:

tynhrt

Hepcat

Here's another noisemaker that was made by the U.S. Metal Toy Manufacturing Company:

cl:)

Hepcat

And a noisemaker made by Kirchhof Life of the Party Products:

tynhrt

Hepcat

And another made by the U.S. Metal Toy Manufacturing Company:

8)

horrorhunter

Here's my current Halloween Tin Noisemaker collection:

I've had the tambourine for years, and I bought the rest of them last month in a Halloween orgy of indulgence. I've been wanting these things forever, seeing them in antique malls and on the internet, so I finally took the plunge (or broom flight to the Witches Sabbat in this case  >:D). My favorite is the big Devil clicker leaning up in the back. All of them are from the '60s or before except for the four lighter orange clickers in the center which are actually new and purchased from Oriental Trading Company.

I may add a few more as the Halloweens roll by, but for now my itch is scratched.

tynhrt
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Wow! A lot of those are in really great shape. Did you buy them individually off Ebay or did you get a bulk purchase at a flea market or antique mall somewhere?

???

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on November 13, 2020, 09:32:33 PM
Wow! A lot of those are in really great shape.
The reflected light makes some of them appear scratched. They're pretty nice except for the frog clicker on the far left which has some moderate scratches and is flattened out a bit. That one came with the round ratchet (under the tambourine) and the lot was less than $20 with shipping so I just consider the damaged one as a throw-in. There were a lot of beaters on eBay though, but I avoided them. Who wants badly damaged ones when there are such great deals on the nicer ones?

Quote from: Hepcat on November 13, 2020, 09:32:33 PM
Did you buy them individually off Ebay or did you get a bulk purchase at a flea market or antique mall somewhere?
They were eBay purchases. I bought most of them in lots, some with masks and other Halloween items. They averaged out to be pretty inexpensive, cheaper than antique mall prices for sure. There are still plenty of ridiculously high prices on eBay but if you shop around you can scare up some bargains. The state of the economy seems to be bringing out some good deals from sellers who really need the money.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 14, 2020, 01:50:26 AMThere are still plenty of ridiculously high prices on eBay but if you shop around you can scare up some bargains. The state of the economy seems to be bringing out some good deals from sellers who really need the money.

It could also be the case that since the heyday of these noisemakers was pre-1960, the collectors who treasure these noisemakers because of the fond memories they have of these from their childhood years are now well into their estate planning, i.e. selling, years.

:-\