Remembering Thanksgiving TV in the New Jersey New York area 1970's

Started by jollygorilla, November 23, 2017, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jollygorilla

My fondest thanksgiving memories waking up and watching Mad Monster Party followed by King Kong, Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young on channel 11.  it seemed like it was every year, year after year but that could be because I was a little kid.

Scatter

It WAS on every year!! WPIX Thanksgiving Kong Marathon! Never missed it!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Kidagain

O man ,the good old days.I remember the Million Dollar Movie,I believe it was on at 4 in the afternoon on the east coast.

Flower

I remember the Million Dollar Movie showing the same movie at least three times a day at times.  Also, if I remember correctly, channel 5, WNEW would show "The Miracle on 34th Street" every Thanksgiving.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

skully

Living in the Reading, Philly area, I remember late night, early morning Filmdoms Finest, which came on after Double Chiller Theatre on Saturday night playing "Phantom from Space" quite often.

silbemi

Those Kong films and Mighty Joe Young were on WOR Channel 9 in the  NY metro area as was Million Dollar Movie

silbemi

Actually it was WPIX Channel 11 that showed Miracle on 34th Street in NY Metro area

Sean

We still get March of the Wooden Soldiers, but sadly no King Kong, Son of Kong, Mighty Joe Young.  Sad.

Lunkenstein

Quote from: skully on November 24, 2017, 08:02:12 AM
Living in the Reading, Philly area, I remember late night, early morning Filmdoms Finest, which came on after Double Chiller Theatre on Saturday night playing "Phantom from Space" quite often.

Oh, it's so great to hear someone else remembering Double Chiller Theatre from Philly! I have great memories of watching it as a kid in the '60s. It introduced me to so many great horror classics.
Paul

skully

Hey Lunkenstein!!  Yes, yes, nothing was better!!  It started off first as Chiller , but then went to "Double Chiller Theater".  Reading my issues of Famous Monsters, maybe building a kit, and at the same time, watching these movies, I was usually up till the wee hours of the morning, always at my grandmothers house on the South side of Reading, and, it was REALLY cool, in the summer time, if a late night storm would develop!!

YoungestMonsterKid

Yeah, I remember seeing something about this online some years ago. I remember the article for the particular one said there was both a King Kong and Godzilla marathon. But I never actually alive to see it on TV.

Lunkenstein

Quote from: skully on November 25, 2017, 06:15:14 AM
Hey Lunkenstein!!  Yes, yes, nothing was better!!  It started off first as Chiller , but then went to "Double Chiller Theater".  Reading my issues of Famous Monsters, maybe building a kit, and at the same time, watching these movies, I was usually up till the wee hours of the morning, always at my grandmothers house on the South side of Reading, and, it was REALLY cool, in the summer time, if a late night storm would develop!!
That's so great to hear! I remember I couldn't wait to find out what the next week's double feature would be. Sometimes they would announce it at the end I recall. Then other times I couldn't wait to get the TV section from the Sunday paper to see. I do remember it also starting just as CHILLER and then going to DOUBLE CHILLER. I too would often stay up for the third movie afterwards. I remember THE KILLER SHREWS coming on at at 2am after Double Chiller and I stayed up as I'd only seen it once before that. I also had Famous Monsters and other horror mags, models and figures as a kid. It was such a fun time growing up with all that and made me fan for life. It's hard to find anyone else who remembers Double Chiller Theatre from WFIL Channel 6 from Philly, so your post made my day.
Paul

skully

That's great to hear!!  I'm glad.  Seems like , for the most part, a lot of us "older" monster kids of the 60's  share these same great memories, to us, they were absolutely the best of times.  Glad to find someone else who really does remember something from our local area.

skully

Also, Lunkenstein, all those great local kid shows, such as "Wee Willie Webber", Pipertown, Pixanne, Sally Star, Gene London, the puppet show with "Sir guidey guy", Lorenzo, Pete's gang, and old standbys such as Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo, The magical land of Alacazam", and I'm sure a bunch that I missed.

Lunkenstein

Yep, I remember those well Skully. I got to meet Pixanne (Jane Norman, who recently passed away) and Sally Starr in later years. Both were very nice ladies who loved meeting their 'kids' now grown up.
Paul