NON-MONSTER FORUMS TO BE CLOSED AND REMOVED ON APRIL 27TH

Started by Toy Ranch, April 21, 2014, 04:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Lester

horrorhunter

Quote from: Street Worm on April 22, 2014, 05:42:16 PM
So are Finks, Weird-Ohs &  Flypoggers monsters?  :o
I'm not a mod, but they sure are to me. Weird-Ohs and Nutty Mads rank pretty high on the Monsterkid scale.  8)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Wicked Lester on April 22, 2014, 07:44:04 PM
THE UMA a couple months from now. Well close. BAD decision Mods. >:(

Cricket Sound

With the onset of Hong Kong's plastic fruit exportation, I think we can ward off the "cricket-grasshopper-locusts" a bit longer than that. 

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Anton Phibes on April 22, 2014, 08:22:37 PM
Now that I know some monstery things like Star Wars, trek, Lost in Space, etc. aren't taboo topics....the only thread I will be truly sad to see evaporate is the Beast Corps: Pets of The UMA thread. Because Kitties are cool.  8)
Bella agrees!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

poseablemonster

Quote from: Flower on April 22, 2014, 06:51:21 PM
If you post it (start a thread) they will come.  I've found that it's the people who complain about a forum not having threads that interest them or that a forum is slow are not the ones who are starting threads.  If you don't see a topic that interests you, start threads that do interest you.  It's as simple as that, don't wait for the next guy to start interesting threads, be proactive. Don't blame others for your lack of interest.
I'm not blaming others for anything, I am merely stating that I have had very little to say or contribute to most of the off-topic discussion.  But thanks for the pep talk.

horrorhunter

Threads will still wander off topic, and I'm sure the mods are aware of that. It's not like they're going to be some kind of UMA Gestapo. They just want the forum to focus on monster related topics. We can still BS and blabber on in good fun. I'm not leaving. I like it here.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Count_Zirock

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

RAGMAN

Quote from: Wich2 on April 22, 2014, 06:55:27 PM
>No one came here for the General Discussion area and if your heart now lies in areas like that, you should move on.<

"Blue," with respect:

- The first part of that statement, you have no way of knowing (though the gist of this thread seems to be that once one was here, that area became a treasure to many.)

- The second part of that statement is pretty non-democratic; one person doesn't make the decision for when another should move on.

Best,
-Craig

No worries, Craig. I in no shape, form, or fashion am deciding anything for anyone or trying to come off that way. Again, to each their own. Coming from a member who doesn't have allies or foes here, like many seem to do, this thread seems to house a few guys who admittedly don't have much interest any longer in contributing to MONSTER related threads. They're bored or burnt out or both. Common sense, to me at least, dictates to take a break and find something more suitable to their current needs. Saying the doors will close and people won't post anymore because a few sections are getting the boot seems a little over the top to me.
"Do you think we're robot clean...Does this face look almost mean...Is it time to be an android, not a man..."

Hepcat

Quote from: RAGMAN on April 22, 2014, 09:15:05 PMComing from a member who doesn't have allies or foes here, like many seem to do....

Not so. It's only this thread that makes it seem that way.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Flower

Quote from: aura of foreboding on April 22, 2014, 07:31:51 PM

With a lack of moderator power, this latest change is the only option.  The moderators are hardcore Monster fans with lives outside of the UMA.  As a regular member who also fits that bill, I totally empathize with wanting to focus exclusively on the heart of the forum. 

I don't see how the moderators lack power and would think that we all have lives outside this forum.  If it's a time issue for the mods, I would surmise that the answer would be to co-op another moderator or two.  Then again, I don't believe that we've been fully told about the reasons, or I've missed something and apologize.

As for changing the focus of this forum, it's sort of like 'you can lead a horse to water ... '  as forums tend to take on lives of their own. The future is unknown.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Scatter

Wow........I believe that this will be the only forum which I've ever encountered that didn't have a "General Discussion" section, or that felt that such a concession to well-rounded humanity detracted from the forum in toto.

To me, the greatest value of anything I collect resides not in the plastic, captured images, or monetary worth........but in the ability of that object to draw people into my life. Otherwise that's all it is....... A piece of plastic. A captured image. A potential dollar sign.

It takes 10 minutes of Googling to reveal everything known about whatever blow-molded treasure may excite us. What makes that beautiful bit of blow-molded goodness REALLY valuable lies in how it affects each individual. The memories it evokes. The story of how it became your passion. That's the only reason any of this stuff even matters. That's what forms those ties of friendship and that familial bond we've come to enjoy at the UMA. I hope we don't find in short order that we've lost touch with what is most valuable about being a MonsterKid......and that ain't the plastic.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Mike Scott

Quote from: horrorhunter on April 22, 2014, 09:03:15 PM
They just want the forum to focus on monster related topics. We can still BS and blabber on in good fun.

The UMA has always been like that.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

Quote from: Scatter on April 22, 2014, 10:16:31 PM
I believe that this will be the only forum which I've ever encountered that didn't have a "General Discussion" section

Which is great for those occasional things that just don't fit in anywhere else, but when half the posts seem to end up there . . .?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Flower on April 22, 2014, 10:12:54 PM
I don't see how the moderators lack power and would think that we all have lives outside this forum.  If it's a time issue for the mods, I would surmise that the answer would be to co-op another moderator or two.  Then again, I don't believe that we've been fully told about the reasons, or I've missed something and apologize.

From my point of view, the time issue is exactly the problem. That being said, I have no way of knowing if that is the case in this situation and do not claim to know anything.  ("I know nothing!" 

I'm sure that The Powers That Be have tossed around the idea of an additional moderator.  They have probably been unable to come up with a perfect fit, however.  (Good moderators are hard to come by and few people actually have the temperament necessary for the role.) Or else they have done a cost-benefits analysis and determined that adding a new moderator is not in-line with the future direction of the forum, and eliminating the "off-topic" categories would be the more beneficial option. 

I really don't think this decision was taken lightly nor do I feel this was easy for anyone.  I applaud the moderators for allowing this open discussion and for giving everyone advance notice.  That is what good moderators do. 

Dr. Madd

Madd The Impaler-
Undeadlegend

Dr. Madd- The Original- accept no subsitutes.