Ghosts of Christmas Past....monster and genre related vintage toys

Started by Anton Phibes, December 15, 2017, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

Got any pics of Christmases past where you scored oodles of genre toys? Toys that made you the collector you are today? If so share them here. I have always been a little nerd. Curiosuly though....6 Million Dollar Man didn't carry with me to adult hood. Everything else did though,lol. I will start. :angel:

the_horror_man

Wow! Look at all those amazing toys and many in the packages. I have thought that if I had a time machine. One thing I would do would be to go back to the late 70's/early 80's and walk up and down the aisles of the big toys stores of the time. However, don't know if I could take any of them back with me without causing a time paradox. ;D

thm

Palifan

You had amazing gifts growing up Anton, I can't believe you were even given the Kenner Alien figure at that age. Very impressive pictures and everything there is still very collectable. I did get a UK edition cardboard Palitoy Death Star though for Christmas one year as well as the Bionic Man so I had some choice gifts also from time to time.

Ian

skully

Anton, superb pictures!!  I have a photo of me and my late brother with me holding up a Kona comic with a T-Rex on the cover, dated 1962 with our then Christmas tree in the background.  I have a few other photo's too with some robots that I received.  If I could possibly find these, I'll try to post.  A lot of the toys are on old home movies.

mjaycox

Quote from: the_horror_man on December 16, 2017, 05:29:41 AM
Wow! Look at all those amazing toys and many in the packages. I have thought that if I had a time machine. One thing I would do would be to go back to the late 70's/early 80's and walk up and down the aisles of the big toys stores of the time. However, don't know if I could take any of them back with me without causing a time paradox. ;D

thm

No! Don't do that-- remember what Abe Simpsons said:

https://youtu.be/43Lk_qxUxVw
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Doh!

Wonderful photos, Anton!

Alas, my folks weren't big on picture taking, but as a kid I did have the Tin Man Walking Robot.

http://www.theoldrobots.com/TinMan.html

Wolfman

Great photos! I wish I had pics of me opening presents at Christmas time. I do remember getting a Great Garloo one year. Early-mid 60's I'm guessing. Cute little devil you were back then. I'm not seeing the Psycho look in your eyes just yet. I guess that came later, right?lol

JP

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Wolfman on December 21, 2017, 12:28:19 PM
Great photos! I wish I had pics of me opening presents at Christmas time. I do remember getting a Great Garloo one year. Early-mid 60's I'm guessing. Cute little devil you were back then. I'm not seeing the Psycho look in your eyes just yet. I guess that came later, right?lol

JP

These were all taken between 1974-1979. Believe it or not, toys actually used to linger back then. Stock was stock. If it didn't sell right away, it was put up for awhile and pulled back out.  Those AHI figures were purchased in 1979. Same year as Alien toy and Star Trek board game were released. Ther were just sitting on a cheap toy spin rack at a mom and pop drug store.

Psycho was a film that I wasn't permitted to see at all. When I was in high school, and I watched it on cable while waiting for the bus for school.  Scared the crap out of me.

Wolfman

Quote from: Anton Phibes on December 21, 2017, 04:29:58 PM
These were all taken between 1974-1979. Believe it or not, toys actually used to linger back then. Stock was stock. If it didn't sell right away, it was put up for awhile and pulled back out.  Those AHI figures were purchased in 1979. Same year as Alien toy and Star Trek board game were released. Ther were just sitting on a cheap toy spin rack at a mom and pop drug store.

Psycho was a film that I wasn't permitted to see at all. When I was in high school, and I watched it on cable while waiting for the bus for school.  Scared the crap out of me.
Nothing like Christmas morning as a kid. Those were the days. Since Santa no longer brings me any toys, I get myself a Christmas present every year. Wrap it, and put it under the tree just like it came from the big fella. I think you know what I'm getting this year. Picking it up from the frame shop tomorrow.

JP

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Wolfman on December 21, 2017, 04:57:37 PM
Nothing like Christmas morning as a kid. Those were the days. Since Santa no longer brings me any toys, I get myself a Christmas present every year. Wrap it, and put it under the tree just like it came from the big fella. I think you know what I'm getting this year. Picking it up from the frame shop tomorrow.

JP

Glad I could help out in that arena. Merry Christmas,lol! 8)

Wolfman

Quote from: Anton Phibes on December 21, 2017, 05:07:41 PM
Glad I could help out in that arena. Merry Christmas,lol! 8)
Merry Christmas to you too! Thanks again Santa...um...I mean Richard.lol

JP

Joseph_Baeza

Quote from: Anton Phibes on December 15, 2017, 09:12:09 PM
Got any pics of Christmases past where you scored oodles of genre toys? Toys that made you the collector you are today? If so share them here. I have always been a little nerd. Curiosuly though....6 Million Dollar Man didn't carry with me to adult hood. Everything else did though,lol. I will start. :angel:

Wow, Richard! Those are nearly the exact identical toys I received in the 70's, with the exception of Star Trek game.  I think I got a Close Encounters of the Third Kind board game in '78 or '79.  We apparently had some damn cool parents and a Santa who knew how to please a Monster Kid/Sci-fi boy.  Your pics make me long for those days.

StyreneDude

Holy CRAP Anton...what a haul! All those MOC monsters! The Alien!

You were one lucky kid!

Dr Wolfenstein

Great haul Richard. Interesting how Stretch Armstrong is still made today. I seem to have gotten a lot of socks and shorts as presents when I was a kid. :(

Gab