Favorite books about monster movies

Started by geezer butler, July 09, 2014, 10:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horrorhunter

Heroes Of The Horrors (1976) (by Calvin Beck of Castle Of Frankenstein fame)

Scream Queens: Heroines Of The Horrors (1978, Calvin Beck)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

The Overlook Film Encyclopedia: Horror (1986, Phil Hardy) (first published in the U.S in 1994)

This is probably the most comprehensive reference for horror films. It is exhaustive.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Paul Naschy: Memoirs Of A Wolfman (2009, Paul Naschy)

If you're a Naschy fan you gotta have this.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

You guys are such bookworms. Nerds.

tv horror

My own personal favourite is Making a monster by Al Taylor covering the great make-up artists of the past  followed by the McFarland books on television horror.
A limerick a day keeps the Baron at bay

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on July 10, 2014, 12:31:27 PM
Nice list, Geez, I think you and I are the only UMAers who are fond of the Mallory book. I know there's nothing new about it, but I like the photos they've chosen and the way it's set up. You should seek out the Denis Gifford book (Pictorial History of Horror) & the David J. Skal book (The Monster Show).

Thanks Mord! Yeah it's not the best, but I still reference it a lot. Plus it's the only "Hammer" book I have. There are at least two others "Hammer Glamour" I think and maybe "The Vault of Hammer" something like that. But they're both a bit pricey.

Oh yeah, I have the Gifford book. I bought that at a used book store when I was in HS. Still in pretty good shape. And the Skal book is excellent. I like that he takes the genre seriously and recognizes the importance of horror film/monster culture.

Mord

Actually, the Mallory book is on Universal not Hammer.

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on July 11, 2014, 01:28:10 AM
Actually, the Mallory book is on Universal not Hammer.

Oh man, you're right. That's what you get when you watch monster movies until 2:00 am and then start posting things on UMA (lol!)

Yes, the Mallory book is amazing. Pretty comprehensive. I highly recommend it.

neonnoodle

Yes tv, "Making a Monster" by Al Taylor and Sue Roy is an awesome, awesome book!

Two other favorites of mine are "A Pictorial History of Horror Movies" by Gifford, and "Movie Monsters" by Alan Ormsby.

There's nothing like monster movie books!
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

neonnoodle

Thanks to horrorhunter for posting that image of the Gifford book dust jacket...can you imagine a better-looking book than that?

And the Ed Naha book, too, yes, "Horrors from Screen to Scream"...a very useful reference and full of funny observations...thumbed through it over and over when I was a kid...
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

Haunted hearse

Quote from: Mike Scott on July 10, 2014, 02:41:06 PM
A couple of other early favorites.

]
This was an introduction to me on classic horror films, and I still have a copy.  The author didn't think much of post war horror films, but it's still a good read.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

LundyAfterMidnight

Great thread, great selections everyone! I overlooked David Annan's & Calvin Beck's books, also long-time favorites.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Mike Scott

Another old favorite was Chris Steinbrunner's Cinema of the Fantastic, which had a more indepth look at 15 classic films, including Metropolis, Freaks, King Kong, The Black Cat, The Bride of Frankenstein, etc.

Second Edition:
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

This Hammer book is pretty darn good, fellas.

The House Of Horror: The Complete Story Of Hammer Films (1973, paperback- 1984, Allen Eyles, Robert Adkinson, and Nicholas Fry. Published by Lorrimer)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Sleaze Creatures: An Illustrated Guide To Obscure Hollywood Horror Movies, 1956-1959 (2002, D. Earl Worth)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...