Somebody got a great deal....and I find myself sick to my stomach....

Started by Anton Phibes, November 23, 2008, 12:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

Been looking for one of these for ages, but always too pricey.  Then i saw this.  Good for somebody, bad for me. :'( :'(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370106226853

Wich2

Toy Ranch

That is a great deal, but I'm happy for them.  I've wanted a box for a long time too, and I would have loved to have grabbed that one.  Don't understand why you would feel bad about it...

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

I would've gladly given the dude at least a $200.  The guy that bought it isn't even keeping it.  He's re-selling it.  New link.  It seems the people who get the great ebay deals are dealers and not average schmoes.  I would be delighted if it were someone here who added it to their collection.  Or as the above poster pointed out...if I had got it.  But it has fallen into the hands of a flipper.  So, yeah...pretty sick about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300273991848

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN

Toy Ranch

Anton Phibes

Well, unfortunately we all have different brains Toy Ranch.  I suppose I am disappointed in myself for not paying closer attention. Thus the "sick to my stomach" expression. Compounded by the fact that the fellow who got it didn't want it...he just saw a way to score some quick cash.

I guess you've never had a moment like that, so maybe that's why you don't understand what I am talking about.  Or perhaps you are independently wealthy, and money is no object  ;D ;D ;)lol!  I, however, always seem to wind up paying through the nose if I want something.  Which is probably what I am going to have to do here.  Best way I can try to explain it to you.  If you still don't get what i am trying to say, then just skip it.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Toy Ranch on November 23, 2008, 01:20:50 AM
Again, I see absolutely nothing to be sick about.

I feel the same way about posting "hidden" auctions. C'est la vie!
CREATURE FAN

Toy Ranch

I think there is sometimes a belief that people who sell things on eBay are getting rich.  Rarely, if ever, is that the case.  Although people sometimes stumble into a great deal, there are lots of people out there looking for deals all the time, and there are not that many to be had.  Usually the people who get them have spent a great deal of time looking for them.  I know the real bargain deals I've had on eBay have come mostly through hours of searching. 

I found these the other day.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160297142113

Listed in Silver Age Comics and Famous Monsters was nowhere in the title.  If you search for Famous Monsters, you are finding what everyone else finds.  The deals are either found sitting on categories hitting refresh, looking for new BIN's to pop up, or searching through "wrong" categories for badly titled and described stuff.  If you have the time and you are willing to invest it, learning all the tricks of the search engine, coming up with search term combinations that work in other categories without getting you a flood of items you aren't looking for, etc. then the deals are out there.  The guy that got that may have spent 6 or 8 or 10 hours waiting for a deal to come his way.  A lot of people who sell on eBay are disabled, or are caring for a family member and can't get work away from home.  It's not a glamorous or lucrative life.  It used to be somewhat more lucrative than it is today.  I have a lot of friends who have been selling on eBay for 8 or 10 years, and the ones who are still doing it full time are barely scraping by.  A deal like that one comes along once a month and saves the house from foreclosure or keeps the power on.  I'm not exaggerating here at all.  But deals are on eBay, and around the web, if you look for them.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Toy Ranch on November 23, 2008, 02:08:33 AM
Usually the people who get them have spent a great deal of time looking for them.

I'm guessing not this time.

"1964 Aurora Gigantic Frankenstein Model Kit Box" in "Models & Kits > Monster"
CREATURE FAN

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 23, 2008, 02:29:25 AM
I'm guessing not this time.

"1964 Aurora Gigantic Frankenstein Model Kit Box" in "Models & Kits > Monster"

I'm guessing it was this time.  How many people looking in that category would pay $15 for an empty Big Frankie Box in nice shape? 

Wait, let's try that again....  how many people looking in that category would NOT buy it?

I'd say that anybody who has even a rudimentary interest or knowledge about monster model kits would pay $15 for a Big Frankie box, in a freaking heartbeat.

Starting time:   Nov-01-08 15:53:16 PDT
Ended:   Nov-01-08 15:58:52 PDT

It was on eBay for exactly 5 minutes and 36 seconds.  Normally, eBay takes longer than that to get a listing into the category and showing up, but sometimes they are fast like that.  The guy who bought it is probably the first person who saw it.  He saw it, his heartrate went up, he hoped he could hit the BUY button before someone else did.  The buyer was probably sitting in the category hitting refresh, hoping something would come up...  or going through several categories one at a time looking at the newest listings, hoping for a score.  I've done it before, lots of times.  Most of the time you come up empty, but when there's a deal like that around, that's how you get in on it.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Toy Ranch on November 23, 2008, 02:38:53 AM
The guy who bought it is probably the first person who saw it.

Obviously. Somebody had to be first. Doesn't mean he wasn't searching for Aurora Frankenstein in model kits, though. It was gonna be found and bought within a few minutes, no matter what.
CREATURE FAN

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 23, 2008, 02:50:46 AM
Obviously. Somebody had to be first. Doesn't mean he wasn't searching for Aurora Frankenstein in model kits, though. It was gonna be found and bought within a few minutes, no matter what.

Well, it might.  eBay usually has a lag of a few minutes before items listed show up in category listings (and I've seen that take an hour or more), but it sometimes takes many hours before they are indexed into search.  It's possible, but unlikely he would have been able to find that in search 5 minutes after it was listed.

I checked and right now, eBay is search indexing and listing promptly.  Here are hundreds of reports of slow search indexing on eBay.
http://www.google.com/search?q=search+index+delay+ebay&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS272US272

You cannot depend on eBay's search to index promptly, and if you are shopping for a cheap BIN listing, the best way is to sit on the categories with newly listed selected as your search sort.  Due to delays in items appearing in categories, I've even scored stuff before it appeared in the categories, because the first place it shows up is on the seller's list, and if someone starts showing up with items that seem interesting to you and appear to be actively listing, you can get the jump on a category appearance sometimes by refreshing their sales list.

These are only a few of the methods you can use to snag deals on eBay. 

Richard

Anton Phibes, I hear what you're saying.
I totally agree with Bobby that it's tough trying to make a living on eBay! Factor in the time, knowledge, expenses (fees!) ~EVERYTHING~ and very few are getting rich on it.
Now, me, I almost ALWAYS buy high & sell low  ;)
But I don't spend the time to learn the proper bid/search techniques and don't have the time to 'park' on eBay.  So I buy foolishly too much...that's why I'm going broke  ::)
But that's my story and no one's fault but my own.

BTW, I am very happy when a UMA member gets a good deal!

But Phibes, I do feel your pain. And I understand what you are saying. The real hurt is that the guy flipped the box and it feels like salt in your wounds. But it happens, it's fair, and there's no law against it.

Maybe this is a very poor example but...
Many years ago, I was selling car parts at a car meet in St.Peter, Minnesota. My first time and I didn't know what I was doing. I had a pair of Foxcraft skirts for a '57 Chev. I received them in a lot of parts so wasn't sure how to price them (just like the original guy with the Big Frankenstein box). So I just guessed (should've done some research first). I marked 'em $20 and put 'em on my table. A guy came up to my table soon after I opened and surveyed my stuff. He pointed to the skirts and said that he'd be interested if I'd come down to $10 (scratched paint, rust, etc). I thought that they were sort-of rough looking so took his offer. An hour or so later, I took a break and walked around. I spotted the SAME guy who had a dealer table too. There, on his table, were the '57 skirts, priced at $135. I was sick. And to rub salt in the wounds, I saw the '57 fenderskirts go by a bit later in the hands of someone else. My buyer flipped 'em! Damn, he wasn't even going to use 'em (like this Big Frank box, eh?).  I was sick to my stomach about this! But IT WAS all fair and legal. And the final buyer was probably going to use them & enjoy them so happy ending, right?

I understand what you are feeling, Phibes.

BTW, I sold a pair of '57 header pipes that same day. Thank God, the buyer didn't want the box they were in and left it with me to take care of (throw away). Horrors, I later found ~ inside the bottom of THAT box under lots of packing peanuts~ that my Hasbro paint-by-number Wolf Man was in it! I had forgotten that I had stored it in there!  :o :o :o Finding it safe and sound MORE than made up for the '57 skirt issue!

Phibes, the "flip" on this item hurts (on top of a $15 BIN) but great deals will come your way in the future, I'm sure.
Best,
Richard