1964 MPC POP TOP HORRORS ~ Anybody ever seen this one?

Started by Allhallowsday, August 09, 2013, 12:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allhallowsday

Here is a complete set of eight MPC Pop-Top Horrors, sealed on the blister card. 
Anybody ever seen one of these or have an opinion?  It originally cost a whopping 98 cents.

Please note the Executioner was molded without a head!!  The blister card is sealed, and there are no sprues on the figure.  It came this way!  I have owned this item a long time, pre-ebay. 
If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

horrorhunter

That's the packaging I bought my first Pop-Tops in when I was a wee brat in '64. It is supposed to be a lot more scarce than the 2-packs. I've seen a few of the 2-packs in the last few years (I own all four 2-packs), but I've never seen another 8-pack since my parents bought that first one for me. Of course, my 5 year old self tore into the packaging and tossed it immediately upon purchase, but I still have the original Pop-Tops from that pack. The ones from the 8-packs never have the staples/staple holes in the base like the ones from the 2-packs. It isn't uncommon to see Pop-Tops in the package without a head or sprues. In my sealed Vampire/Skeleton 2-pack the purple Vampire has no head or sprues. This is a great treasure, very scarce and very valuable. It's great to see it again. :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Monster Bob

There was a warehouse find of the bagged Pop Topss in the late 80s...which is why you see them more often.

Allhallowsday

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 09, 2013, 01:01:37 AM
That's the packaging I bought my first Pop-Tops in when I was a wee brat in '64. It is supposed to be a lot more scarce than the 2-packs. I've seen a few of the 2-packs in the last few years (I own all four 2-packs), but I've never seen another 8-pack since my parents bought that first one for me. Of course, my 5 year old self tore into the packaging and tossed it immediately upon purchase, but I still have the original Pop-Tops from that pack. The ones from the 8-packs never have the staples/staple holes in the base like the ones from the 2-packs. It isn't uncommon to see Pop-Tops in the package without a head or sprues. In my sealed Vampire/Skeleton 2-pack the purple Vampire has no head or sprues. This is a great treasure, very scarce and very valuable. It's great to see it again. :)
Cool.  Great Monster Kid memory!!!  I remember, some years later, going to the "five and ten" (probably a McCrory's) and leering at, and buying a few, Aurora Monster Scene kits.  I'm a bit young, but not by much, to have been an original "Monster Kid".    ;D
Yes, I have two of the MPC two-fers left, my favorites (skeleton+ and separate wolfman+)!!  I sold two others, and yeh, they turn up more often.  In fact, I have not seen another example of the MPC carded eight in 30 years of buying and selling crap.   :)  Crap we love. 

Anybody else ever see one of these sets? 

Quote from: Monster Bob on August 09, 2013, 01:06:23 AM
There was a warehouse find of the bagged Pop Topss in the late 80s...which is why you see them more often.
I remember hearing such.  Back in the day.  Since superior packaged examples can be found (there aren't that many) it makes sense. 

Ghost

Pretty cool AllHallowsday. Possibly a one of a kind piece original still in the package.

What relation do these vintage witch cake toppers have to the Multiple Pop Top Horrors or MPC Weird Monsters? I think they were made in the late 1960s by Fibre Craft. They share the same pose at the very least.

Devlin

Wilton (the cake decoration company) sold the larger orange one in their catalog through 1981 or '82, and offered the kettle for a few years after that as an accessory with the new, cartoony witch cake topper that they introduced at that time.

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Devlin on August 09, 2013, 04:59:30 AM
Wilton (the cake decoration company) sold the larger orange one in their catalog through 1981 or '82, and offered the kettle for a few years after that as an accessory with the new, cartoony witch cake topper that they introduced at that time.
Great info, I have one or two of those cake decorations, which I think are a rip-off of the MPC Witch design.  I love rip off crap, eh, ephemera!! 

Hepcat

Quote from: Allhallowsday on August 09, 2013, 01:48:07 AMAnybody else ever see one of these sets?

Only on Ray Castile's Gallery of Monster Toys but I take it that's yours.

Quote from: Allhallowsday on August 09, 2013, 05:22:10 AM...I have one or two of those cake decorations, which I think are a rip-off of the MPC Witch design.

Yes, the cake decoration is a blatant rip-off of MPC's sculpt.

:o

Collecting! It's what I do!

ChrisW

That is a great piece. I love the hanger graphic with all of the monsters swapping heads with each other!

Toy Ranch

I think there are 2 or 3 of those full sets carded.  Never noticed the headless executioner before.  I'll start going through photos looking to see if I have any others of it to compare.  Love that set, really cool to have them all on the card.  Thanks for sharing!

Hepcat

Quote from: Toy Ranch on August 12, 2013, 11:19:09 PMI think there are 2 or 3 of those full sets carded.  Never noticed the headless executioner before.

Are you saying that the carded full sets do not contain the eight different Pop-Tops in random colours but that there were only two or three different selections when it came to colours sold?

???

monsterjoe

I HAVE 2 OF THESE CARDED SETS AND BOTH ARE FULLY COMPLETE. PROBABLY POOR QUALITY CONTROL AT THE FACTORY DURING PACKAGING.

Hepcat

monsterjoe

AS FAR AS COLORS THEY CAME IN YELLOW, ORANGE & PURPLE ONLY....THEY WERE NOT LIKE THE SMALLER VERSIONS THAT CAME IN MORE COLORS...GREEN, BLACK ETC.