Elvis Presley Thread

Started by general gruesome, February 14, 2011, 08:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monster Bob

Elvis made it in the fifties because he had the voice, the moves, the age, and the looks. The just right combination for the time.

Chuck had talent, but was 'old' to a teenager, and looked like he should have been parking cars. Richard had the talent, but looked and acted like a Hollywood hairdresser.

Even when you look at the other white performers singing rock 'n roll at the time (and shortly thereafter), nobody else had a better mix than Presley.

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Monster Bob on February 24, 2011, 09:39:51 PM
Actually, it was WELL before Chuck and Richard.

UMM,no. Little Richard quit R&R before Elvis even peaked. They were all within a year of each other as far as popularity.
As far as music goes I think C.B had more talent and moves than Elvis. It,IMO was the white middle class that helped make Elvis what he was.

Monster Bob

Ummm  you don't get what I'm saying. 'Rock 'n Roll' music was around long before Richard and Chuck. It was called race music, n***** music, colored music, whatever you wanted to call it. If you know your music history, the sound and style predates even that; the roots of rock can even be heard in turn of the century jug band music. Don't muddle opinion and fact. It wasn't called 'Rock 'n' Roll' music until Alan Freed named it, and it took the mass appeal of a Presley to sell it (Bill Haley was white and predated Elvis by years, but frankly was too old, too plain, and not gritty enough to cause the explosion EP did).

Penniman 'quit' in late '57, while Presley was already an established national phenomenon, and Presley was drafted in December of that year. Penniman's decision to suddenly find religion and quit r'n'r was likely a combination of sour grapes towards the industry and repention for the lifestyle he had been leading. Not that religion fixed that for him.

Presley was the correct recipe at the time, irregardless of your personal opinion of him. Water always finds it's level, and time and history have proven that. And as far as 1950's R'n'R (and culture), you will not find many people that love it more than I do, and yes, my love even includes Richard and Chuck.

Monster Bob

Quote from: THEBEAVERINTHEMANHAT on February 23, 2011, 09:09:18 PM
I love Elvis's 70's output; The "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" box set introduced me to that era; I was basically a "Fifties only" up until then; one day I saw it on eBay back in 1999 for $19.99 "Buy It Now" and scooped it; a blessing. His voice just got better & better; the songs are just soooo "personal?" I always think, "That's the Way It Is" box set is a must (if I have the title correct?)

I totally agree; EP's THAT'S THE WAY IT IS is really great, the released and the outtake sessions too.

Beaver, if you enjoyed that album/film, I would suggest you get your hands on THE JUNGLE ROOM SESSIONS on the incredible FOLLOW THAT DREAM label. Just amazing, it consists of the pure, raw recordings of the LIVE FROM ELVIS PRESLEY BLVD. and MOODY BLUE albums, recorded at Graceland. It is also highly critically acclaimed.

I recommend the FTD label in general- many many alternate takes, unreleased songs, etc. and absolutely wonderful 'raw' studio material from all eras. The stuff is not cheap, buy caters to the Elvis fan, offering clean and rare versions that were only available before via bootleggers, often in a substandard state. Elvis Presley Enterprises decided it was better if they controlled and released the recordings themselves, and have done a bang up job of doing it. I just wish I could afford more of it!

Scatter

Quote from: Monster Bob on February 25, 2011, 11:13:39 AM
I totally agree; EP's THAT'S THE WAY IT IS is really great, the released and the outtake sessions too.

Beaver, if you enjoyed that album/film, I would suggest you get your hands on THE JUNGLE ROOM SESSIONS on the incredible FOLLOW THAT DREAM label. Just amazing, it consists of the pure, raw recordings of the LIVE FROM ELVIS PRESLEY BLVD. and MOODY BLUE albums, recorded at Graceland. It is also highly critically acclaimed.

I recommend the FTD label in general- many many alternate takes, unreleased songs, etc. and absolutely wonderful 'raw' studio material from all eras. The stuff is not cheap, buy caters to the Elvis fan, offering clean and rare versions that were only available before via bootleggers, often in a substandard state. Elvis Presley Enterprises decided it was better if they controlled and released the recordings themselves, and have done a bang up job of doing it. I just wish I could afford more of it!

Have to echo Bob here.............."The Jungle Room Sessions" is SUPERB (Hey Bob, "Shoot the yellow dog!").
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Wicked Lester

Bob
You certainly are an R&R expert. I know the basics of where it came from and that the term "Rock n Roll" is black slang for F >:D.
You are spot on,right guy at the right place and time. He has sold 100's of millions of records over the years. Hell, maybe even like McDonalds and hit the Billion mark. For those that dig the guy 8). I just never have and never will see what the big deal is. Or with many of the so called huge stars. Guess I just march to the beat of a different drummer (who sometimes goes blast beats and has a lightening speed double kick bass) 8)

missdead13

I had been wanting to go to Graceland like my whole life..
finally got to go 2 yrs ago. . when I arrived in Memphis, it was
too late to actually go " in" , so I stood outside the gates, just
elated to even be there !!!
so I went to some awesome bbq place and pigged out and then went to both sun studios &graceland the nxt day.
It was awesome.
Alot of stuff from Lisa Maries room reminded me sooooo much of stuff I had myselfl as a kid. it was so cool.
her toybox is like identical to the one i had .. so nostalgic...
It was neat-o   ;D   I totally want to go again !!!
" Your future is in an oblong box "

Scatter

We were there 2 years ago too!! It was awesome!! I wanna go back!

marsattacks666

I've always wanted to visit Graceland. I had a chance, but, it fell through. :(
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Scatter

marsattacks666

Quote from: Scatter on February 05, 2012, 10:42:16 AM
I SMELL A ROAD TRIP!!!!

You know, that would be fun. I definitely need to go visit. But, it would be more
FUN with others.  Whoop!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

missdead13

missdead13

Quote from: Scatter on February 05, 2012, 02:07:52 AM
We were there 2 years ago too!! It was awesome!! I wanna go back!

did you see those pink limos everywhere?  they belong to one of the big BBQ places right there on Elvis Presley Blvd.. so they pick ppl up from the hotels , take em back n forth to the restaurant? I stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel. It was so fun  ;D I got some Elvis pez dispensers for my collection,, and another thing I thought was rad is that they had cool Heartbreak Hotel stationary inside the desk , in my hotel room. freakin sweet..

Scatter

Heartbreak Hotel was BOOKED SOLID when we planned to go. We stayed at the Homesuite Inn. Fantastic place, unbelievable breakfast. The Trophy Room and the Jungle Room were my faves. Walking down to the Trophy Room surrounded on both sides by all those incredible jumpsuits..........I never wanted to leave.