What kind music of are you REALLY into that people would not have guessed?

Started by Wicked Lester, October 02, 2010, 07:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDG

About five years ago, I realized there's nothing cooler than this:

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Shotgun Boogie

Can that guy sell a song or what? (not to mention Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant in the band)
MDG

packy120353

QuoteLove that Parliament!

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come aboard the mother ship!

Scary Terry

MDG: How could I forget to list "hillbilly boogie woogie" as one of my preferred genres?  No kiddin' -- I've tons of "hillbilly bop" and the like on CD -- love it all. I've actually pulled that tune out of my back pocket at the karaoke bar a few times -- gotta spread the love, y'know.
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

Street Worm

My two all time favorite composers have been Frank Zappa & Joe Zawinul (Weather Report)
since sometime in the early '70s-
But I like bits of (most) all types of music from '60s Bubblegum, 'Classic' Rock, Stax, Motown &
Atlantic Soul & R&B, Jazz (esp. Miles & Coltrane), Blues, Percussion (Airto & Mickey Hart), Funk,
even some mid '80s Country.....
Love Waits, Marc Cohn, Brian Eno, Captain Beefheart & Johnny Winter

Never cared for Disco, Rap (unless it's Gil Scott Heron) or Hip Hop....
&  haven't paid much attention to 'Rock' post 1980 or so-

That said, these guys blow my mind~

Union Station - Choctaw Hayride

BlackLagoon

I'm actually a big Beastie Boys fan too...but not that fight for your right BS...

For anyone who cares...the trilogy is Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and then the best of the best...Ill Communication.

If you like funk, jazz, punk rock, a ton of 70's vibed instrumentals...keyboards, bongos and bass guitar....they're all there.

The rhymes just flow and flow...the punk rock is heavy like Bad Brains heavy...and the instrumental stuff is just completely off the hook.

So many people only know or care about the Liscened To Ill album...which I could care less about, there is some incredible stuff both before and after that.

I got real lucky and got tickets to a sold out show in the Garden a few years back....only song they played off Liscened was Brass Monkey.......one of the best shows I ever went to...ton of old school NY rappers made guest appearances and freestyled and the instrumentals were insane....Bongos, chello...a dj and the Beastie's battling old school against Doug E. Fresh....GREAT memory!
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

Monsternutt

Buck Owens, not to many people know I listen to him or any old school country. I normally listen to Metal, PANTERA,PANTERA, PANTERA! I'm sorry for yelling but it's hard for a Metal head to contain them self. >:D
MONSTERNUTT.

BaronLatos35

I hear you BlackLagoon. I wore out Ill Communication when it came out. The song with Q-Tip and the short song Flute Loop just kill it. The whole album jams, in fact all three do.

"a little wine with my dinner, so I'm the Grape Ape, I feel like a winner when I make a mix tape"

Straight chill party music...
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

marsattacks666

Quote from: MDG on October 03, 2010, 09:52:44 AM
About five years ago, I realized there's nothing cooler than this:

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Shotgun Boogie

Can that guy sell a song or what? (not to mention Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant in the band)

Hell yeah!!!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

I'm a big,big fan of country music. Especially the Grand ole Opry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMSWAUAKJn0
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Opera Ghost

Most people already know I have an ecclectic taste in music, but Sunday mornings, while working around the house, driving or reading the paper, I love music from the 20s, 30s and 40s Swing and Big Band, Bing Crosby, Dean, Frank...

I love classic Rock, 50s 60s and 70s, Beatles, Stones, The Who, Van Halen, Kiss, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, as well as some Pop from Tom Jones, Michael Crawford, and any and all Halloween and Christmas.

I like early rap, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice (yeah, I know), 80s music and some glam

As far as country, Gene Autry, Shania and Faith, and Johnny Cash are about it.

I do like some of the 90s and new Millienia talent, some Brittany as well as Christina
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

charp13

Wow, OG! I would have thought that you would have mentioned one of my favorite bands- The Chipmunks!!!  I assumed that you and LM listened to some of the classics like- Alvin for President, Japanese Banana, or I've been working on the Railroad!  I can't help it, they bring me back to my happy place   :)     I really love Social Distortion too!!  But I mostly listen to orchestral works, which people would guess.....I heart Schumann and Mendelssohn, and my precious Mahler!  The only old timey stuff I listen to that drives everyone crazy is ska!  I love me some horn sections!

Opera Ghost

Quote from: charp13 on October 07, 2010, 01:54:01 PM
Wow, OG! I would have thought that you would have mentioned one of my favorite bands- The Chipmunks!!!  I assumed that you and LM listened to some of the classics like- Alvin for President, Japanese Banana, or I've been working on the Railroad!  I can't help it, they bring me back to my happy place   :)     I really love Social Distortion too!!  But I mostly listen to orchestral works, which people would guess.....I heart Schumann and Mendelssohn, and my precious Mahler!  The only old timey stuff I listen to that drives everyone crazy is ska!  I love me some horn sections!

We've a Chipmunks Christmas album, and that is pretty much it.

I was remiss in mentioning classical, as I love it as well. I've always been into movie soundtracks as well. Hermann, Waxman, Williams, Elfman, to name a few.
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

marsattacks666

I'm going to go with Anton LaVey's organ music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEV2F55g6A

charp13

Pretty cool instrument!  I've never seen this musician before   :)

marsattacks666

Quote from: charp13 on October 08, 2010, 08:46:04 PM
Pretty cool instrument!  I've never seen this musician before   :)

Isn't though?!?  I have never seen one until I watched the DOC about LaVay,
several years ago.