1964 A.B.G. Mummy pencil sharpener colors?

Started by Eye of Kharis, February 06, 2008, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eye of Kharis

I've seen examples of the other three (Frankenstein, Wolf Man & Etta the Ghoul) 1964 A.B.G. Products Co. pencil sharpeners in all four issue colors ( orange green light grey & maroon ), but the Mummy always seems to turn up in green only:

Anybody ever see him in any of the other colors?
"There's a curse upon it - it means death to whoever breaks that seal..."- heard whenever my kids want to open my shrinkwrapped vintage Auroras

Getter_1

I've seen grey but that's it. 

Anybody see the Frankenstein sharpener for sale?  I can never find that one. :(

Toy Ranch

Yeah, he comes in the other colors, too.  The grey seems to be the least common color, but I've seen him in purple and orange as well as green.  IMO it's really more of a grape/purple than maroon.

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Getter_1 on February 06, 2008, 08:15:08 PM
I've seen grey but that's it. 

Anybody see the Frankenstein sharpener for sale?  I can never find that one. :(

Frankenstein is very hard to find.  The others were found in a large warehouse find 20 years ago or so, but there were no Frankensteins.  The Frankensteins usually sell for upwards of $100 while the others can go for $10 or less.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monster Bob

I gotta question whether the gray ones (for sure) are even "vintage". I don't remember the gray color  being around as a kid in the 60s, and never saw one in this color until the 90s "find".

I only remember Purple/Orange/Green in the 60s. And I got mine at the a tourist trap called The Citrus Tower in Florida, circa late 1960s.

When these popped up in massive quantity, it seemed to be the gray/orange/green. Repopped, maybe?

Getter_1

Aaah, that clears things up (warehouse find).  I got the Mummy sharpeners for cheap (i think 6 for 15 bucks) and I've managed to get the wolfman and Etta the ghoul but have only seen 2 Frankensteins show up.  They ended up going for about 100 bucks.   Ah well.  

If I do get a Frank, I'm just going to re-cast it so I can finish the ABG display.  

Getter_1

Sorry for the back to back posts...

Bob, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case.  The green mummy busts I got looked brand new.  Same with the grey wolfman.  They may be vintage but they looked pristine.  No traces of rust or anything. 

Toy Ranch

Bob, I talked to the guy who had the warehouse find a couple of times and he said the grey ones were there, but not as many of them.  And again, he had no   Frankensteins at all.  Terry has a grey Frankenstein. 

But check out the color difference between the Franks and the others...

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.....

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Getter_1 on February 06, 2008, 08:39:18 PM
Sorry for the back to back posts...

Bob, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case.  The green mummy busts I got looked brand new.  Same with the grey wolfman.  They may be vintage but they looked pristine.  No traces of rust or anything. 

Well, there was a HUGE warehouse find of unused/unsold ones, so most of what's out there is unplayed with...

Getter_1

Curious!  But would it really be worthwhile to repro these (blow molded) and sell them for 5-15 bucks each?  And if they did repro these, wouldn't they also repro Frankenstein?

Monster Bob

Ah, yes...we have seen the repopped being called 'warehouse find' before.

The Munsters dog toys come to mind.

Then the repop Addams Family charms (and there are old ones, but they are very rare).

The Palmer flat flats

The Monster 'eraser heads' that never existed

Monster Bob

Quote from: Getter_1 on February 06, 2008, 08:49:40 PM
Curious!  But would it really be worthwhile to repro these (blow molded) and sell them for 5-15 bucks each?  And if they did repro these, wouldn't they also repro Frankenstein?

When they cost .000000001 to produce? This is assuming the molds exist; making the mold would be the expensive part. Popping them out of an existing mold is cheap. When these first reappeared in the 90s, I was buying them off a guy for .50 each, and he was making money on them at that! As many of the other characters that I wanted, but no Frankensteins. They may not have had access to the Frankenstein mold, or it was damaged, or ?

I always have one eyebrow raised at "massive/neverending" warehouse finds, thirty years after the fact.

------------

Toy Ranch

I saved these off an eBay auction a while back.  I think it's safe to say this one is vintage and authentic.

Getter_1

Nice.  I really like those.  I don't know why. lol

I really doubt that the warehouse finds are repops.  I just don't think it would be worth it.  Either way, I'm happy with my $5.00 - $15.00 sharpeners.

Now if only I could find a Frankenstein (to go with my "vintage" ABG store display. ;)