Frankenstein binder on ebay

Started by hugohernandez, March 22, 2017, 08:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPM

Quote from: Monster Bob on March 31, 2017, 04:46:06 AM
-Six paint by numbers sets(F D W C M P)
-Three paint/pencil set (F D W)
-Horror House Art box (culmination of other 9 sets)

The p/p sets (X3) /F D W- Same box art,  but boxes are 2/3 size of the huge PBN sets/ tall and thin instead, and partially die cut
Here is the only image of the pencil and paint set I could find on the web
RPM

Mike Scott

Quote from: RPM on March 31, 2017, 08:21:10 PM

Oh, that's the die-cut part! Little windows that show the contents. Thanks for that pic!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 30, 2017, 01:45:26 PMI'm sure there are some pics in the galleries.

Actually there aren't any.

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on April 01, 2017, 11:33:58 AM
Actually there aren't any.

There will be one in the WM section, now!  :)
CREATURE FAN

Monolith

I remember seeing a 60's dealers catalog a while back that had black and white images of the paint and pencil sets.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: RPM on March 31, 2017, 08:21:10 PM

The P-B-N set says they provide "Canvas Panels" (canvas boards).  The Pencil & Paint set does not state what you do your coloring on.

The Pencil & Paint set says they are "Paint Tablets".

Looks like the Paint -By-Number paints are the usual oil - and the  Pencil & Paint set uses Water Colors.

(The P-B-N set lists a Paint Brush in the contents.  The Pencil & Paint does not list a Paint Brush?)

ADAM

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: RPM on March 30, 2017, 02:50:56 PMThere are monster pencil by number sets as well. They are listed in one of the Hasbro catalogs, I believe 1964.

They were introduced in 1963 and *I think* phased out for 1964.

Quote from: Monster Bob on March 31, 2017, 04:46:06 AM-Six paint by numbers sets(F D W C M P)
-Three paint/pencil set (F D W)
-Horror House Art box (culmination of other 9 sets)

The Horror House set was released by Sears for Christmas 1963 and Christmas 1964 and does not contain the Mummy, Creature, nor Phantom. It comes with two racks of oil paint and two packs of pencils and paint, as opposed to the three racks of oil paint and three packs of pencils and paint you would have if you bought the six sets it is comprised of separately.

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 01, 2017, 11:25:17 PM
The P-B-N set says they provide "Canvas Panels" (canvas boards).  The Pencil & Paint set does not state what you do your coloring on.

The Pencil & Paint sets images are printed on 8x10 sheets of paper.

QuoteThe Pencil & Paint set says they are "Paint Tablets".

Which are the blocks of color under the sharpener.

QuoteLooks like the Paint -By-Number paints are the usual oil - and the  Pencil & Paint set uses Water Colors.

This is true.

Quote(The P-B-N set lists a Paint Brush in the contents.  The Pencil & Paint does not list a Paint Brush?)

The Pencil & Paint sets do include a brush. They're packed in the middle of the pencil array. In the photo you can see the brush handle touching the pencil sharpener. You get only two watercolor brushes, as opposed to the three you would have if you acquired the six sets the Horror House gift box is comprised of separately.

*updated to include the fact that the gift set was sold in both the 1963 and 1964 Sears Christmas catalogs per member RPM's info as well as the number of brushes included according to the catalogue solicitation.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 04, 2017, 12:12:23 AM

The Pencil & Paint sets images are printed on 8x10 sheets of paper.

I thought this set had the same "canvas" from the paint-by-numbers set, for painting, and the 8x10 papers for the colored pencils?
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 04, 2017, 01:06:55 AM
I thought this set had the same "canvas" from the paint-by-numbers set, for painting, and the 8x10 papers for the colored pencils?

Water colors and pencils would work better with a smoother surface.

I only wondered if the set contained light weight paper or a thicker poster board.

Thanks,

Monster Bob

ADAM

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 04, 2017, 01:06:55 AM

The 12 pre-sketched [sic] pictures to color included in each "numbered pencil and paint set" (watercolor paints) are printed on 8x10 inch sheets of paper and are designed to be colored either with pencils or watercolors, both of which are included in each set. These sheets of paper are not of sufficient weight to hold up to being painted with oils.

The single presketched and prenumbered images in the each "oil painting by numbers" sets are printed on a 12 x 16 canvas panel, alternately referred to by Sears as cotton canvases, and are designed to be colored with oil paint. A rack of character specific color oil paints are included in each individual set. These canvas covered cardboard panels are not very thick, but can generally withstand being covered in oil paint, though I have seen quite a few that have bowed or curled a bit.

The "Horror House Paint and Pencil by Number Assortment", which is the printed on the box name of the 1963 Sears gift set, includes all 36 sheets from all three different "numbered pencil and paint sets" (including a number of triplicates) as well as the three presketched and prenumbered cotton canvases from the Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and Wolf Man "oil painting by numbers" sets. To my knowledge, these are the exact same printed contents as the individual sets.

Just to complete this, the differences between what you'd receive between buying the six separate sets (one each of the Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and Wolf Man "numbered pencil and paint sets" and one each of the Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and Wolf Man "oil painting by numbers" sets) besides the packaging (which is not included in the gift box) are:

The gifts set omits one rack of oil paint and the two racks that are included differ in packing from the racks included in the individual sets.

The gift set omits one package of "pencil and paints" (that's watercolor paint), so it includes two pencil and paint packages (still watercolor paint) but, to my knowledge, they are identical to the package included in the individual sets. The pencil sharpener may have been produced in multiple colors, but I've not seen that nor am I aware of one color being specific to any version if there in fact are multiple colors. There are also two small instruction sheets, one for oil paints, one for pencils (and watercolor paints) which are also, tmk, identical to the sheets packaged with the respective individual sets.

How about the great buy on that binder? Congrats to Adam!

*edited to correct the information about the number of brushes included.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Hepcat

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 04, 2017, 12:12:23 AMThe Horror House set was released by Sears for Christmas 1963 and does not contain the Mummy, Creature, nor Phantom.

So you believe the Horror House sets were a Sears exclusive?

Did you have a Horror House set as a kid? Do you have one now? How about any of the individual sets?

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 04, 2017, 12:12:23 AMYou get only one brush for the oils and two for water color, as opposed to the three for oil and three for water color you would have if you acquired the six sets the Horror House gift box is comprised of separately.

So you're saying that each Horror House set included one oil paint brush and two water colour brushes?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

RPM

Quote from: Hepcat on April 04, 2017, 09:15:28 AM

So you believe the Horror House sets were a Sears exclusive?

???
The HH set was sold exclusively through Sears. it is listed in the 1963 and 1964 Sears Christmas catalogs.
RPM

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 04, 2017, 01:53:34 AM
The "Horror House Paint and Pencil by Number Assortment", which is the printed on the box name of the 1963 Sears gift set, includes all 36 sheets from all three different "numbered pencil and paint sets" (including a number of triplicates) as well as the three presketched and prenumbered cotton canvases from the Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and Wolf Man "oil painting by numbers" sets.

OK, that's where I got the idea for that, then.
CREATURE FAN

Mike Scott

Quote from: RPM on April 04, 2017, 09:49:09 AM
The HH set was sold exclusively through Sears. it is listed in the 1963 and 1964 Sears Christmas catalogs.

Great catalog photo! Nothing like empirical evidence!
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 04, 2017, 11:04:27 AM
Great catalog photo! Nothing like empirical evidence!

Anyone wanting to research old toys:

Here is a collection of over 25,000 scans of catalog pages.  Not just Sears Wishbooks, but other major catalogs.  Takes a little patience to look through so many Christmas toy sections, but it is kinda fun and very nostalgic.  Most of these are mail-order catalogs, so prices are probably a little bit higher than visiting a local store.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

A great resource!

ADAM