60s Wolfman Bobblehead

Started by thatwasmyfoot, May 21, 2008, 06:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatwasmyfoot

Hey gang. Not new to collecting but new to my focus on collecting monster goodies, I came across this piece and was curious:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-1960s-Universal-Studios-WOLFMAN-Composition-NODDER_W0QQitemZ220235679620QQihZ012QQcategoryZ19196QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Always hesitant to buy into the "RARE" moniker, I was surprised to see the current price in light of all the wear and tear, specifically the large chunk out of the head in the back. I'm curious to know the true rarity of this piece and I know this is the place to ask!

Toy Ranch

In this case, the term rare is more than appropriate.  These turn up once every few years.

thatwasmyfoot

Yowza. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

hhwolfman

Quote from: thatwasmyfoot on May 21, 2008, 06:36:17 PM
Hey gang. Not new to collecting but new to my focus on collecting monster goodies, I came across this piece and was curious:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-1960s-Universal-Studios-WOLFMAN-Composition-NODDER_W0QQitemZ220235679620QQihZ012QQcategoryZ19196QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Always hesitant to buy into the "RARE" moniker, I was surprised to see the current price in light of all the wear and tear, specifically the large chunk out of the head in the back. I'm curious to know the true rarity of this piece and I know this is the place to ask!

Ahh yesss. This is in my Top Ten Want items. Unfortantly It is a bit out of my price range, right now. At The $1400 it is now It is at a fair price.A mint one is between 2 and 3k  Who know's what will happen if Japan Gets involved. This is Not just a rare monster item. YOu have Nodder Collectors after this to. My Bud Randy has the Phantom from that series. He won't let go of it, Yet.  ;D HHW

fmofmpls

Quote from: hhwolfman on May 22, 2008, 02:38:23 PM
My Bud Randy has the Phantom from that series. He won't let go of it, Yet.  ;D HHW

I also own the Phantom from this series of nodders. You'd have to buy me a whole lot of beers to even get me close to selling it though. And you know how thirsty I can get HH.  ;D 
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

poseablemonster

Shall we start with a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon?  ;D After that, anything's possible...

hhwolfman

Wow $3400 even with a Chunk out. I think This is a record. I don't remember a nice one going for that much. HHW

raycastile

I would have expected it to finish around $1,500.  I guess condition doesn't matter so much on a truly rare piece that has achieved notoriety among collectors.  Monster collectors in particular don't seem to subscribe to the "AFA-graded" mentality.  Sure, they want stuff as minty as possible, but they don't blow off a rare piece just because it has some wear and tear.
Raymond Castile

fmofmpls

Quote from: raycastile on May 27, 2008, 05:47:08 PM
Monster collectors in particular don't seem to subscribe to the "AFA-graded" mentality.  Sure, they want stuff as minty as possible, but they don't blow off a rare piece just because it has some wear and tear.

That's my thinking anyways. If it's something that's truly scarce, I'll take it anyway I can get it. I'm talking rare stuff mind you. Then just maybe down the road another opportunity may present itself for an upgrade. But in the case of this really rare stuff, opportunity may only come knockin' one time. I say get it while the gettin's good.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

poseablemonster

I am OK with a little wear and tear, and sometimes I even think that it gives a toy more character.

Toy Ranch

Seems like the nice ones have gone for around that price in the past, so I'm not entirely surprised that this one brought that with the damage being mainly in the back.  Those nodders are sooo cool... 

Toy Ranch

Quote from: poseablemonster on May 28, 2008, 02:08:46 AM
I am OK with a little wear and tear, and sometimes I even think that it gives a toy more character.

Yup, sometimes it sure does. 

Monster Bob

At that price, I'm betting a nodder guy bought it, and will have it repaired.