In Love With Toys

Started by raycastile, December 25, 2007, 09:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poseablemonster

I look back on the production of that film with very fond memories.  It was pre-eBay, internet and all that stuff for me.  Collecting meant that you had to develop more personal connections with other people; something that I do miss.  Communities like this one take the place of that in some ways, but I digress...the film production was a lot of fun.  It was a labor of love that made me feel like I was taking part in something bigger and more important than just collecting toys. 

hhwolfman

I love this. Very nice Christmas Present. Do you know  what ever happend to Bob?? Man I got some good stuff from him.  ;)

poseablemonster

Yeah, Bob is still around.  He did have some really great stuff.  He was one of the first comic/toy dealers in the St. Louis area.  I can remember going over to his place in the early 90's and just being overwhelmed by piles of great stuff.  Factory cases of Mego Mad Monsters, boxed Captain Action sets, second series Colorforms Aliens, Creature Plaque, etc...

Gary D Macabre

Great stuff Ray thank you for posting that.  Sadly it kind of reminds me of how I wearied on the avid collector thing, and why I now just pick up the odd thing from time to time.  Having a great time enjoying collectibles vicariously on everyone else's pocket book.  Love the monster scene and as long as you guys keep positing pics,  I'll be happy with my occasional addition.
Gary D. Macabre
Phantom of the UMA lounge

raycastile

Thank you for all the comments.  It's especially nice to hear how many people saw this "back in the day."  It makes me feel that my efforts were not in vain.  Like Andy said, I wanted to feel like I was doing something more than "just collecting."  I still feel that way.
Raymond Castile

Toy Ranch

I'd never seen that before, but really enjoyed it.  Thanks Raymond!

hhwolfman

Quote from: poseablemonster on December 26, 2007, 07:12:29 PM
Yeah, Bob is still around.  He did have some really great stuff.  He was one of the first comic/toy dealers in the St. Louis area.  I can remember going over to his place in the early 90's and just being overwhelmed by piles of great stuff.  Factory cases of Mego Mad Monsters, boxed Captain Action sets, second series Colorforms Aliens, Creature Plaque, etc...

Bob used to do The Dallas Fantasy fairs and the Big D Toy Show. The Big D Toy show,Used to be one of the Best shows in the US. No Items were allowed, over the year of of 1980. This is where I got a couple of my Boxed Monster Scenes I didn't have. Also bought a lot of my Monster  paper Before before it went to Expensive. I remember getting Revenge of The Creature Lobbies with the Monster for $50 each. Also A One sheet I was a Teenage Werewolf for $75. This is where I also met Duane Dimock and Randy Jones, California Toy dealers and collectors.    I still visit them,  a couple of times a year.   I didn't have much money then. I was living in a single wide trailer and   making $1100 a month. As I look back it seems like collecting was more Innocent back then and the times were a lot less complex. Ahhh I long for the good ole days.

Dr.Terror

This was very fun to watch. Fantastic stuff Ray.

It's scary to hear people call them Ah-Hees.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Roback

Like I told you privately Ray, that was unbelievable. I can't believe that you guys went through all that trouble, reproducing those boxes under the tree and again replicating how the cards would look hanging off the pegs all bunched up like that. I noticed Andy's name in there too. Was he in the documentary at some point that I missed or did he help with the production?
Robert Acquarulo

hhwolfman

Quote from: Dr.Terror on December 27, 2007, 11:42:17 PM
This was very fun to watch. Fantastic stuff Ray.

That is what I always called em and always will.  ;D

Quote from: raycastile on December 27, 2007, 05:54:29 AM
Thank you for all the comments.  It's especially nice to hear how many people saw this "back in the day."  It makes me feel that my efforts were not in vain.  Like Andy said, I wanted to feel like I was doing something more than "just collecting."  I still feel that way.

I remember that the video always drew a crowd in the store, it really was ahead of it's time.

ramsey37

Quote from: Dr.Terror on December 27, 2007, 11:42:17 PM

I noticed that too. I've always pronounced the name as individual letters: "A-H-I". I've never heard anyone refer to them any other way before.
George
Where apathy is master, all men are slaves.

Jim Bertges

Raymond, this is a wonderful and impressive piece of work. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Don't you think it's about time for an update? Or maybe just a documentary on the phenomenon of collecting Monster Toys. I bet that with the help of the UMA it might be easier and less expensive to produce something like this today than it was back then. It would make a great addition to the UMA Monster Toy display.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

raycastile

I say Ay-High.

Quote from: ramsey37 on December 28, 2007, 02:39:22 AM
I noticed that too. I've always pronounced the name as individual letters: "A-H-I". I've never heard anyone refer to them any other way before.
George
Raymond Castile

raycastile

After my experience in Brazil, the filmmaking bug is definitely biting me like a pit bull.  But if I do anything, it will be narrative fiction entertainment.

That's not to say we couldn't do something simple for the toy display.  We've actually talked about it before.  We could have some collector interviews running on the TV screen.  But the toy tour crew barely has time to breathe as it is.  I don't know how we could squeeze a production schedule into our already frazzled lives.  But...we have talked about it...so who knows...

Quote from: Jim Bertges on December 28, 2007, 06:54:49 AM
Raymond, this is a wonderful and impressive piece of work. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Don't you think it's about time for an update? Or maybe just a documentary on the phenomenon of collecting Monster Toys. I bet that with the help of the UMA it might be easier and less expensive to produce something like this today than it was back then. It would make a great addition to the UMA Monster Toy display.
Raymond Castile