Does your better half like Horror/Monsters?

Started by Gory Glenn, March 01, 2016, 01:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludi

Thank you!   :)

As employees, we never got to keep anything.  As self-employed, we only got to keep one thing because the prop master let us have it after filming.  Of all the dozens of things we've made, we only have  the little dead antelope we made for the Anthony Hopkins movie INSTINCT.  So we have something that Sir Anthony touched, but I wish it had been for a better movie.  Sadly, one doesn't get to choose the quality of the movie before it is made....

Dead as a doornail duiker:

marsattacks666

Quote from: Jethro on March 03, 2016, 04:22:36 PM
My wife does not share my love for classic horror.  If it is in black and white it must be "stupid".  Like most women she also hates the Three Stooges.
She can't understand how I can watch "Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein" over and over.
I explained it to her by asking her if she listens to her favorite song more than once, or several times.. She doesn't get it.
She does however have no problem getting me the models and the like for Christmas/Birthdays ect.
And to my surprise she will tell her friends about my collection and "brag" about my painting abilities regarding my monster models.

.....and I also have no love for the Three Stooges.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

geezer butler

Good topic guys. My wife is not a monster kid, but she respects the fact that it makes me happy. She even buys me monster stuff as gifts. She'll try to watch some of the movies with me but falls asleep in minutes if it's a black and white classic. And it's funny because she doesn't really like horror, so she'll actually get scared when we watch Vincent Price or Hammer films. I enjoy that because I imagine back in the 50s and 60s, some audience members found those films scary.  But because she doesn't like scary films too much, there's no way she'd watch The Exorcist or Halloween, let alone some of the more visceral contemporary stuff.

Overall I'm very lucky. I know some dudes  who once they had kids, that's it---the wives put the kibosh on the husband having any personal hobbies or interests. That must suck.   

horrorhunter

Quote from: geezer butler on March 03, 2016, 07:54:41 PM
I know some dudes  who once they had kids, that's it---the wives put the kibosh on the husband having any personal hobbies or interests. That must suck.
If, at that point, I discovered I was married to such a self-involved dictator, then I would put the kibosh on the marriage.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

marsattacks666

Quote from: horrorhunter on March 03, 2016, 09:42:36 PM
If, at that point, I discovered I was married to such a self-involved dictator, then I would put the kibosh on the marriage.

Ditto!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

Marriage is generally a bad idea all the way around.

Dr. Jitters

Quote from: Mord on March 04, 2016, 01:08:28 PM
Marriage is generally a bad idea all the way around.

Ha, ha.  Good one.  I got pretty lucky, but two reasons that I knew my then-girlfriend would make a good wife -- she liked watching The Three Stooges and Benny Hill with me.  A rare breed.  She's not a super monster fan, but will watch some things with me, at least partly.  She'll start watching Svengoolie with me, but goes to bed after the first break.

Ludi

I know some dudes  who once they had kids, that's it---the wives put the kibosh on the husband having any personal hobbies or interests. That must suck.

What the heck?!?  How are the kids supposed to learn to have hobbies and interests if the parents aren't allowed to have hobbies or interests?  I credit my artistic career to a mom who was always trying new things.  Or is it only the dads who aren't allowed to have hobbies?  My dad never had any hobbies because he loved his career  (dentistry) so much, but now at age 85 he's finally getting interested in starting a hobby (jewelry making).

Mike...In 3-D!

Overall I'm very lucky. I know some dudes  who once they had kids, that's it---the wives put the kibosh on the husband having any personal hobbies or interests. That must suck.

Being an employee of a comic shop/collectible store I see that a lot. It's either the wife/girlfriend puts an end to it or the kids take up too much time and money and they stop because of that. I don't want it to sound like I'm picking on females, but most of our customers are dudes so I've only ever known it to be a wife or girlfriend...or the little germ factories.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

ChrisW

I like to say I turned my wife to the dark side. She had some traumatic episodes when she was young and couldn't abhor death, monsters or things of that ilk. My attitude is to have fun with it. She was reluctant at first, but gradually came around to where she is a very active participant in my monster-ful world. She now has a blast planning and preparing for our annual Halloween Party, plying me with monster-themed books and movies, and indulging in things like our trip last Autumn to Sleepy Hollow.

Oh, and we just finished watching "Hey Moe! Hey Dad!", a great documentary on the Three Stooges..we are both members of the Three Stooges Fan Club!

ChrisW

Quote from: ChrisW on March 04, 2016, 07:48:31 PM
I like to say I turned my wife to the dark side. She had some traumatic episodes when she was young and couldn't abhor death, monsters or things of that ilk. My attitude is to have fun with it. I am not into the gory aspects of horrordom. She was reluctant at first, but gradually came around to where she is a very active participant in my monster-ful world. She now has a blast planning and preparing for our annual Halloween Party, plying me with monster-themed books and movies, and indulging in things like our trip last Autumn to Sleepy Hollow.

Oh, and we just finished watching "Hey Moe! Hey Dad!", a great documentary on the Three Stooges..we are both members of the Three Stooges Fan Club!

gracebuster

Let me tell you guys. The last one tolerated the Monster collection and any of you who knew her knew she was always a great hostess when it came time to entertaining the brood. But she never embraced it.

The new Mrs Roebuck, well, there is no one like here.

Her very first personally chosen Halloween costume was the Ben Copper Creature.

This was last year.

Our Cake Topper.

God knows where she found it.

There were fireworks and Mickey Mouse on our wedding night.

And Disney friends and dinosaurs on our honeymoon!

She loves the monsters and I was am so happy to have a women like her at my side at  Maskfest- Horror hound  and Don Con and any other monster event that comes our way.

Lastly, she made this!

Tim Goodwin took the photos and Maskahuna modeled the clothes but Tammy Made the DON POST 2016 Calendar!

Which, by the way, is inconceivably still available here.

http://blacksparrowinc.com/shop/

SO, I found  the perfect partner in SLIME!

I mean CRIME, but really, the only CRIME is that it took me til 50 years old to meet my soul mate.

marsattacks666

Mike Scott

Quote from: gracebuster on March 27, 2016, 01:19:55 PM

SO, I found the perfect partner in SLIME!

Congratulations! You look perfect together!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Kidagain

Congrat's Dan, was that your private yacht you were on in the first photos?