Bring Back MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

Started by Count_Zirock, November 10, 2015, 08:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count_Zirock

Hello, People of Earth. Welcome! 
I'm Joel Hodgson.

Once upon a time, a television series called MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 was born. We debuted on Minneapolis' KTMA, local television, on Thanksgiving Day 1988, as the world was in the final throes of Teddy Ruxpin-mania. That was almost thirty years ago, but for some reason, people still seem to like the show – it's a mitzvah!

Our show has had a long, strange run. Across a UHF channel, a cable network, cancellation, a feature film, then another cable network, the show lasted for 12 years, two generations of hosts and puppeteers, 2 Emmy nominations and a total of 197 episodes before we got canceled again "for good" in 1999. Sadly, it was just as Prince predicted.

But maybe that's not where it all ends.

Starting today, we finally get a chance to bring back MST3K.

With your help, we can create a new season of MST3K, prove there's still an audience, and maybe even convince a network to bring us back for more.

Bring Back MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

Sent from my HUAWEI Y336-A1 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Count_Zirock

Count_Zirock

$1.5 million in TWO DAYS! Just $500,000 away from having enough for three episodes.

Scatter

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Count_Zirock

Mystery Science Theater 3000 has successfully met its Kickstarter campaign goal after six days of funding. More than 19,000 fans of the cult comedy series have contributed toward the $2 million project, and as a reward, original host and creator Joel Hodgson announced the project's first big piece of news: the name of its new host.
'Mystery Science Theater 3000' revival introduces a new host

Count_Zirock

Count_Zirock

BACKERS WIN THE SUPERBOWL! BACKERS WIN THE SUPERBOWL! Coming in at a staggering $6.364 million, Joel just announced a 14th episode! We've #BroughtBackMST3K!
MST3K Becomes the Biggest Crowd-Funded Video Project in Internet History

Count_Zirock

'Mystery Science Theater 3000' revival sets new Kickstarter record
The Kickstarter campaign, launched by show creator and original star Joel Hodgson, raised $5,764,229 in a month. That money, plus another $425,000 raised outside of Kickstarter, is enough to shoot 14 new episodes.

mjaycox

I'm ambivalent. On the one end, it's incredibly awesome this many fans came together and cared enough to bring this back... MST3K is my favorite show of all time, bar none.

But part of me doesn't like this..  The show is over. It had a glorious run. Even in the transition to Mike as host. It's done. It needs no more. I am very happy with the post MST3K projects of the firmer hosts, including Rifftrax and others. I love the live events.

This just feels unnecessary. I didn't care to see Michael Jordan on the Washington Wizards. I had no interest in Picasso's output in the 60s and 70s. I don't watch Hitchcock's Topaz or Family Plot... And I don't want to see MST3K in the 2010s... Clearly I'm in the minority, as evidenced by the outpouring of support. But there it is
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Count_Zirock

Well, with a new host (Josh) and new mad scientists, it will feel different. Even Crow and Servo have new voice performers. New writing team, too. Only the original premise remains the same. So, I'm excited to see the differences.

Count_Zirock

horrorhunter

Since Joel is behind this I believe it will retain the spirit of the classic episodes. I'm optimistic about the new MST3K, and as the Count stated, I'm looking forward to seeing the things they do differently.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...