Dr Defective mad scientist laboratory "model"

Started by scarey1scd, January 10, 2022, 12:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarey1scd

Just wanted to start by saying I really enjoy the Monster Kits page. I love watching the customizing and kit bashing, especially the step by step process you guys share. I can imagine the time spent staring at different figures, picturing what would look good where, how to make pieces fit together and look right, and especially all the little"extras" that make the piece stand out. I admire and appreciate the time that goes into each piece.
   I figured this might be a good place to share my labor of love, a mad scientist laboratory nestled in a 14'x16' corner of my basement. I will share its humble beginnings...

I found this old radio at a yard sale and got the inspiration to build a little "Mad Scientist" prop out of the piece. I thought hey, this will be a fun project that will kill a couple months of weekends!

That was a little over 10 years ago. Since then it took on a life of its own. So I figured I would fill up a corner of the room with the project...

Which was all fine and dandy, but then the seed was planted. Id spend my time at auctions, yard sales, online, and what not. The ideas germinated in the back of my poor little brain. When I found another radio, that was the beginning of the end. I gutted the rest of the room and dedicated it as THE LAB.
  Here are a couple pics to give a quick over view without going into to much of the nuts n bolts:

As I said, its been about 10 years since I started this. Its sat idle at times, what with life and "writers block" getting in the way at times, but I can picture this being a life long project.
So with the quick overview being done, and watching you fine gentleman show your process, I figured I would give that a try with the newest corner of the lab Ive been working on. I will share the
"process" of the pieces parts to bring a whole corner together.  I shall return!
Do you know where you are, Bartolome? I'll tell you where you are. You are about to enter Hell, Bartolome, HELL!...

Anton Phibes

It's like a lifesize Aurora Monster Scenes kit! Cool!

Mike Scott

Cool mad lab!

Quote from: scarey1scd on January 10, 2022, 12:54:30 PM
. . nestled in a 14'x16' corner of my basement.

"Corner"? Sounds like a whole basement!  ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

skully

Wow!!  Is there anything that can actually be turned on or lit up with this project?  Too cool!

Hepcat

Quote from: scarey1scd on January 10, 2022, 12:54:30 PMI found this old radio at a yard sale and got the inspiration to build a little "Mad Scientist" prop out of the piece. I thought hey, this will be a fun project that will kill a couple months of weekends!

As I said, its been about 10 years since I started this. Its sat idle at times, what with life and "writers block" getting in the way at times, but I can picture this being a life long project.

Wow! Incredible, simple incredible!

Quote from: scarey1scd on January 10, 2022, 12:54:30 PMI shall return!

And we'll all be waiting in anxious anticipation!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

scarey1scd

Quote from: Anton Phibes on January 10, 2022, 02:10:24 PM
It's like a lifesize Aurora Monster Scenes kit! Cool!

One of the best compliments a man can get right there! THANKS!!
Do you know where you are, Bartolome? I'll tell you where you are. You are about to enter Hell, Bartolome, HELL!...

scarey1scd

Quote from: skully on January 10, 2022, 11:42:18 PM
Wow!!  Is there anything that can actually be turned on or lit up with this project?  Too cool!

Yes, there are moving parts and lights, electricity balls and jacobs ladders. I need to get some videos made and try to post them. Really gives you the full effect.

scarey1scd

Thanks Hep! I do appreciate the kind words! I am open to any and all comments, suggestions, criticisms and questions!

scarey1scd

Alrighty, this is the corner Im working on right now. It will have the laboratory glassware, fluids, chemicals, body parts necessary for life!

I set a couple pieces up to get an idea where I want to set things up, how much room I have, and so on...
The first thing I need to tackle is the electrical set up. Where I want lights, what I need to power, switches, and what color lights Id like.

I love using old radio chassis for panels (plus you get cool switches, tubes, and other bonuses. Im going to use 2 seperate panels for this corner.
I took a couple pics of the secondary panel. I will try to show more work in upcoming pics. I started with this chassis...

I gutted it, and put a sheet metal skin over it to give me a blank canvas to start with. I had most of the design in my head when I started. I also keep a notebook
that has different drawings as things progress and change.
The next pic shows the switches in place, and other parts that will add to the atmosphere of the corner.
Here it is laid out, with a coat of copper paint on the base. All the holes are drilled out for wiring, and its time to antique it a bit to give it the look I want.

Antiquing done, I changed the rotary switch knob to a different one. Screwed and glued everything in place, and shes about ready to go!

This piece will control a couple of shelf lights, and the aquarium pump Im using to bubble in the large glass jars containing body parts.

Hepcat

Quote from: scarey1scd on January 11, 2022, 02:37:34 PMAlrighty, this is the corner Im working on right now. It will have the laboratory glassware, fluids, chemicals, body parts necessary for life!

This piece will control a couple of shelf lights, and the aquarium pump Im using to bubble in the large glass jars containing body parts.

Is there a cemetery within an easy drive of your house?

???

skully

This is just totally unreal!!  You just can't stop now without posting the progress with this!!  This has just got to be one of the neatest "monster" projects I've seen.  This could also rival the many haunted house walk-throughs around Halloween,  I know a lot of work goes into them,  just imagine having something like this included into one of them, or, as a stand-alone exhibit. 

scarey1scd

Quote from: Hepcat on January 11, 2022, 07:03:25 PM
Is there a cemetery within an easy drive of your house?

???

As a matter of fact...within a couple blocks of me  :)

scarey1scd

Quote from: skully on January 12, 2022, 12:31:07 AM
This is just totally unreal!!  You just can't stop now without posting the progress with this!!  This has just got to be one of the neatest "monster" projects I've seen.  This could also rival the many haunted house walk-throughs around Halloween,  I know a lot of work goes into them,  just imagine having something like this included into one of them, or, as a stand-alone exhibit.

Thank you so much for that my man! Heck of a compliment right there! This room has a door that leads directly outside. A few years back I did open it up Halloween night for the kiddos, not thinking about all the exposed moving parts, the possibility of electrocution and maybe even a missing person (or body part  >:D). I also forgot that the little ones are touchy feely lol. I decided then to keep the project away from the general public.
  And yeah I can imagine the hours and labor that goes into those set ups. Some projects take me what seems like forever to complete. Every piece has to be in the right place, every screw and fitting has to have a certain "look" to it, and sometimes I get an idea and have to look around and wait for juuuuust the right part that I have stuck in my head. A lot of trial and error have gone into
this lab, but theres no better feeling than watching everything come together (and actually work! lol).

Hepcat

Quote from: scarey1scd on January 10, 2022, 12:54:30 PMI found this old radio at a yard sale and got the inspiration to build a little "Mad Scientist" prop out of the piece.

That old radio is fabulous! Can you tell us anything about it, i.e. manufacturer, year?

???

I'm thinking now that an old icebox from the first part of the 20th century would have just the right look to fit in with what you're assembling. And best of all dusting will never be an issue/chore.

cl:)

scarey1scd

Thats a good looking question Hep! Im sure I knew what it was when I bought it. I will have to move it out of the corner and find out for you.
And your right, dust is a beautiful addition to the atmosphere. On top of that, the spiders have been friendly to me and built lots of cool stringy
webs to blend it all together.