COLLECTION CORNER!!

Started by jupiter2, September 30, 2019, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Masksalot

Having never been an avid reader of Creepy or Eerie comics, I mainly recognized the two horror hosts
as really cool Don Post masks. They haven't been catalogued together since the 1970s >

All my favorite shops carried them back then, displayed singly and as a team. Can you make out that price tag? Only $14.95!

They were produced with the same quality as DP's high-end masks but retailed for less than half as much.
By summer of 1975, I'd adopted my first pair >

Additional copies of each character moved in later on. For years to come, we were just one big happy family.

Sir Masksalot

Last Sunday I scored a few masks from the estate sale of our late friend Gory Glenn.
One was his ToTS Beast of Blood which I now consider one of the top three scariest masks in my collection!

Back in the 1990s Paper Magic Group offered a line of masks depicting Universal's classic monsters >

Glenn had the good taste to acquire a few of them including The Mummy, my favorite of the series.
His copy now resides in my collection. That thing on top that looks like a visor is actually its attached header card
showing the Universal Monsters logo, care and safety info, and the retail price: only $14.99 >

There was one more mask score from the weekend, related to the above character, which I think was
one of Glenn's prized pieces. I can't reveal it just yet because it's getting sent off for a custom finish.
Once completed, I'll check back in to scare you with it!

jupiter2

Sorry to hear of his passing, I was not aware of that.

Sir Masksalot

Out of production since the 1970s, this nearly forgotten mask was catalogued
for only three years by Post Studios >

Its design was based on a hunchback makeup created by Dick Smith for a '60s era tele-series >

Readers of Famous Monsters magazine could order a copy through their "Captain Company"
ad pages but the character seemed rather hard to locate otherwise >

I scored mine from a fellow collector in December 1996 and have kept it in original condition ever since,
except for adding that eye insert >

DPS also catalogued economy versions of the character, equally rare as the high-end one although
they do turn up for auction from time to time >

With diligent digging, you might just find a casting of Dick Smith's actual makeup! I haven't seen one in decades
but there are a few out there, somewhere between here and Notre Dame ...

Dr.Terror

Regret selling my Quasi.   The Phantom was only around for one season.   Don't think Ive ever seen a 150 Quasi.

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

zotzcoin

Fun stuff, Sir M.!  The Quasimodo was sculpted by Bill Malone.  Bill also blocked out the sculpt on the 800 Line version, and it was finished by Bob Short.  Bob did the sculpt on the little 150 Line Phantom.  I can't remember if Bob also did the small Quasi, or if it was ever produced?  I don't think it was, but that was a loooonnng time ago!

jupiter2

Great pics! I've never owned a Quasimodo, but I would love to.

Sir Masksalot

This dinky little DEVIL has always been my favorite character from Don Post's 300 line of
thinly cast full-overhead masks. I don't know if production dates back as far as the 1960s
but I scored my first copy in February 1973, likely because it reminded me of that tumescent
Pazuzu statue seen in "The Exorcist".

Versions of it remained in production all through the 1970s and '80s. Back then, they were easy
to spot in novelty shops everywhere >

The year after Post Studios shut down, their assets were liquidated at auction. I bid on and won
a defective foam master, carefully restored it, and had it custom painted in production colors >

I scored a master on DIABLO that same year, the 2002 character being an upscale version
of DP's old 300 line mask >

My most recent DP DEVIL joined the collection via our late friend Gory Glenn, a 200 line version
first catalogued in 1985 >

As decades pass, it can only get more uncommon to see these marvelous but perishable little masks in
private collections. I urge everybody who owns one to take whatever steps necessary to preserve them.

Doh!

Nice! I totally see Pazuzu there.

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Sir Masksalot

The most spectacular Devil mask I ever owned came to me as an unpainted foam master,
scored at auction in September 2013 >

It was only catalogued for one year as a commercial product. We can only imagine the
sculptor's distress with how it was officially presented >

Looking past this bungled "first impression", I was able to see the awesome classical
Devil mask lurking beneath >

Others got the chance as well when my Devil mask went on public display at a
couple of local conventions >

Doh!

Awesome devil mask! It would pair nicely with the Ben Cooper costume I had as a kid:

https://www.zomboscloset.com/zombos_closet_of_horror_b/2016/10/ben-cooper-devil.html

jupiter2

Great Devil's!
I did have a DP 300 Devil at one time. We put if on one of our neighbor's kids for fun (he was about 4). He got so scared at everyone's reaction to him that he grabbed it by the eyeholes and tore it into two pieces getting it off!  :)

jupiter2

Doh!

Glad you're back doing reviews, jupiter!

Fun mask, but I wish they would've gone all-out in the likeness department. Also, what an odd choice to make the face tiny and have you see out the hairline. Still, nice review.