New Universal Monsters Comic Book Series'

Started by Mcfly22, July 14, 2023, 08:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearliath

I reached out to Bill Sienkiewicz Art asking if their exclusive cover had been released or when it is expected to be released. They responded:

"It has not been released yet."

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: fearliath on May 02, 2024, 01:58:43 PMI reached out to Bill Sienkiewicz Art asking if their exclusive cover had been released or when it is expected to be released. They responded:

"It has not been released yet."

I'm glad they responded to you, as I got ignored!  :o  That said, sure would be nice to know when they plan to release it.

I'm meant to ask, fearliath, when you get all of your various variants, will you take a look at the bar codes? They should be in sequence as covers A - H are, and that might help us puzzle out if there are any more #1s waiting in the wings. Thanks!

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on May 02, 2024, 03:27:10 PMI'm meant to ask, fearliath, when you get all of your various variants, will you take a look at the bar codes? They should be in sequence as covers A - H are, and that might help us puzzle out if there are any more #1s waiting in the wings. Thanks!

I have a few already so I will try to get to that tonight (I have a baseball game to coach followed by a soccer game).

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: fearliath on May 02, 2024, 03:40:03 PMI have a few already so I will try to get to that tonight (I have a baseball game to coach followed by a soccer game).

No rush!

darkmonkeygod

The Sienkiewicz cover is currently available.

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on May 02, 2024, 03:27:10 PMI'm meant to ask, fearliath, when you get all of your various variants, will you take a look at the bar codes? They should be in sequence as covers A - H are, and that might help us puzzle out if there are any more #1s waiting in the wings. Thanks!

The UPC numbers on Covers A-H start at 00111, 00121, 00131 and so on up to 00191. It's weird in that it skips 00171. It goes Alex Ross 1:75 with a number of 00161, skips 00171 then the Alex Ross foil cover is 00181 and the blank cover is 00191.

On the exclusive covers I have so far it seems to start this type of numbering scheme over again with the Skottie Young cover being the highest number I have so far at 00181.

Mike Scott

Quote from: fearliath on May 02, 2024, 10:22:56 PMOn the exclusive covers I have so far it seems to start this type of numbering scheme over again with the Skottie Young cover being the highest number I have so far at 00181.

Did they skip the 00171 number again?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on May 03, 2024, 12:10:03 AMDid they skip the 00171 number again?

On covers A through H, yes.

The other covers should have distinct codes. Are the first ten of the UPC the same as on A through H?

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on May 03, 2024, 12:43:50 AMThe other covers should have distinct codes. Are the first ten of the UPC the same as on A through H?

That's what I thought fearliath meant, that they are repeating the same #s again. Maybe I misread it.
CREATURE FAN

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on May 03, 2024, 12:43:50 AMOn covers A through H, yes.

The other covers should have distinct codes. Are the first ten of the UPC the same as on A through H?

The first 10 of the UPC are identical on every cover (A-H and exclusives).

fearliath

Quote from: Mike Scott on May 03, 2024, 12:10:03 AMDid they skip the 00171 number again?

I haven't received all the exclusive covers yet so I don't know all the numbers. I just know the ones I have follow the same numbering scheme. I do know that on A-H there is a 6 between the first UPC code (first 10 digits) and the second UPC code. On MOST, but not all, of the Exclusives there is a 3 in that spot.
I probably need to get all the exclusives to make more sense of it. When I do I'll give the full UPC readout for all the covers.

darkmonkeygod

Well, I finally sat down with the comic, Creature Lives! #1 and... I found it extremely underwhelming. From the tepid story and its tedious pace (and yet such a short comic!) to the inexplicable redesign of the Creature, it certainly shows that the people behind this are much more fans of themselves than of the Gill Man. I could get into more of a critique of the "story" but... why? What a shame Uni waits 70 years to do something like this, only to have it turn out as this.

And, the art... while I understand that you've absolutely got to stylise the Creature for illustration, in the same way that any real thing with such detail has got to be simplified for an illustrated narrative, who was asleep at Universal when it came time to approve adapting the arguably most lauded monster design there is into the goofy big eyed goblin looking scarecrow chosen for this? I know those jobs tend to be a revolving door of people uneducated in the subject matter but it honestly looks like someone trying to knock off the Creature more than it looks like, you know, the title character. Poor choice, in my experience of it. Once again, what a shame no one in this entire endeavour was smart enough to stick with the actual design of the monster for the interior of the comic. Your mileage, of course, may vary, but I'm disappointed in it.

Mike Scott

Oh well. I was probably buying them more for the covers, anyway.  :-\ 
CREATURE FAN

Rex fury

I think the best adaptation of CFTBL came from DarkHorse. While Art Adams art can appear a little cartoonish, the story, look of the monster, and overall package was pretty good.
Back in '62, Dell had a nice new story for the Creature. However other attempts at new material were not so much to my liking. The novel (also from DarkHorse?) from the 90's was okay. This new attempt at an original story has, so far, not been all that original. Maybe it will improve in both story and art as the next couple issues come along...
RF

darkmonkeygod

Thankfully, NOT another cover, but Tonči Zonjić's blog showing his process including a self-rejected design which can all be seen HERE.