Somebody got a great deal....and I find myself sick to my stomach....

Started by Anton Phibes, November 23, 2008, 12:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Quote from: Toy Ranch on November 23, 2008, 03:19:50 AM
These are only a few of the methods you can use to snag deals on eBay. 

The method I use it to check a couple of saved searches 2-3 times a week. If it don't turn up in those, oh well!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

ChattyLMS

HMM-
My post didn't go through.  I'm sorry Dr. Phibes.  I hope the next one doesn't get away.
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 23, 2008, 03:43:18 AM
The method I use it to check a couple of saved searches 2-3 times a week. If it don't turn up in those, oh well!

Lots of people do that, and that's perfectly fine, but you aren't likely to get any bargain BIN listings or find any "hidden" listings that way. 

There are even 3rd party tools to help you search eBay better, or alert you faster when things you are interested in are listed, that some people employ. 

Getting back to the guy who bought and is selling that box.

He has 415 feedback as a buyer.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=timothy3664&ftab=FeedbackAsBuyer

And 158 as a seller.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=timothy3664&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Sounds like a collector who came across the box at a cheap price, 5 minutes after it was listed, and figured he could make a few dollars, maybe to buy something else for his collection.

He's an Aurora Collector.
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=timothy3664&completed=1&all=1&rows=25&sort=3

When he paid $40 for a coat button for Big Frankie, that wasn't such a stellar deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110304645559

But he probably needed it for his built up.

ChattyLMS

Toy Ranch

Quote from: ChattyLMS on November 23, 2008, 04:11:52 AM
What is a "hidden" listing?  I've never heard of it.

It's like if someone lists, say a Chatty Cathy doll in the girls clothes section as "Girl Doll With Clothes".  Most collectors looking for Chatty Cathy won't see it there, and it's likely that the collector who does is going to get it at a much lower price than if it were listed in the proper category with the right words in the title.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Toy Ranch on November 23, 2008, 04:07:34 AM
Lots of people do that, and that's perfectly fine, but you aren't likely to get any bargain BIN listings or find any "hidden" listings that way. 

Oh well! There are plenty of DVDs out there waiting to be bought. It's not like I'm gonna have a hard time finding something to spend the money on.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 23, 2008, 04:18:34 AM
Oh well! There are plenty of DVDs out there waiting to be bought. It's not like I'm gonna have a hard time finding something to spend the money on.

That's how I look at it too.  If I win, great.  If I win cheap, wonderful.  If I lose, there's plenty more to be bought.

ChattyLMS

Thank you!  I didn't know that.   Good example!! 
  :D

raycastile

Vince Lombardi said, "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

I agree with that. 
Raymond Castile

Roback

In my opinion, speculators and flippers are a cancer to our hobby and their wake is felt in other collectible markets as well. Not only do they artificially create demand but they take the toys out of the hands of the people who truly love them just to make a buck. This kind of thing happens frequently in the Mego market and yea, it sickens me. Lots of ways to make a buck in this world, Real Estate, Stocks, precious metals, and yes, even a part time job but to me, I collect solely for enjoyment. I don't ever want to look at collecting as a money making vehicle. It would taint it, at least for me. I would much rather have had one of you guys win that Aurora box, who would have cherished and appreciated it for years to come, rather than some speculator who couldn't care less what it is as long as he makes a quick 20 bucks. And that my friends is how I feel about the subject. I am now stepping off my soapbox.
Robert Acquarulo

ChattyLMS

Roback,
I agree with you.  Coming from the doll world it's exactly the same thing.  I'm the same way as you.  I'd rather see a really nice thing go to a true collector than a person trying to make money off of the piece.  They drive the prices up artifically high. 

Roback

Not only do they artificially inflate secondary market values but they leave the hobby severely destabilized and in some cases, a shell of what it once was. Just like a predator picks the bones of a carcass, the speculator takes what he can and then it's off to the next moneymaker whether it be comics, sports cards, wax packs, Star Wars, etc. Anyone collecting in the late 80's and through the 90's can undoubtedly testify to this.
Robert Acquarulo

Toy Ranch

Robak, how do you feel about a collector who sees an item priced very low, who buys it at the low price and then offers it at auction where it achieves a higher price and he makes a few dollars to use on his collection?

raycastile

Speculators have ravaged Mego, Star Wars and other toy hobbies, but I don't know if they have hit monsters full force yet.  Our little collecting corner might be too obscure for them.  There have been some things that have gone way up, but I think it's due to a handful of rich collectors trying to amass as much as they can as fast as they can.  No need to wait two years for a good deal to come along when you can just place a ridiculously high bid and snag it the first time.  It only takes a few people like that bidding against each other to drive prices through the roof, shutting out all of us mortals.  

For instance, I think this has happened with stretch toys.  If you have three people bidding $10,000+ on a $250 toy, suddenly that $250 toy is "worth" $10,000.  I don't own any vintage stretch toys and I'm not even going to bother trying until the current clique of stretch collectors gets tired and moves on to other pursuits.  I think some of those currently "unattainable" stretch toys will become curiously attainable over the next few years, provided they don't all spring a leak in the meantime.
Raymond Castile

Roback

Quote from: Toy Ranch on November 24, 2008, 01:33:38 AM
Robak, how do you feel about a collector who sees an item priced very low, who buys it at the low price and then offers it at auction where it achieves a higher price and he makes a few dollars to use on his collection?

Bobby, obviously there are varying degrees but when I see the line crossed I know it. Obviously, upgrading or trying to make a few bucks to support your hobby is a different story. Again, I'm just talking about my own views on the subject. The best thing that I can say is what I already stated. I don't ever want to look at collecting as a money making vehicle. If I ever do that'll be a clear cut signal that it's time to stop, for me of course.
Robert Acquarulo