Terry Prince ad mask display

Started by typhooforme, February 29, 2008, 06:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typhooforme

I don't keep up as I should, and am not sure if this has been shown here before--if it has, please let me know and I'll remove it or move it or something.  I bought this "kit" from Terry Prince some years ago--he has since, far too young, passed away.  It consisted of the wooden framework, xeroxed copies of the ad text, and a set of resin busts replicating the masks.  Very clever idea, I thought, creating  a 3-D version of the old magazine ad.  It's about 8 1/2 x ll, I guess--same size as the magazines, anyhow.  I was in a hurry to get it on the shelf when I did it, and I neglected to put the contrasting colors behind each mask--I told myself it gave better contrast to the "masks" to leave the background white.  I see now that this must be remedied, so I'll be adding color background for each of the heads.  Anyhoo, here it is as it stands today:

Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Mike Scott

That was one of the coolest ideas, ever!

Any other ads that would make a nifty model kit (of fun way of displaying an actual item)?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Toy Ranch

I love that kit.  It's really cool....

Eliot Brodsky of the Rubber Room website has been using masks to create 3-D displays with plexi graphics in front of them lately...  some of the coolest stuff ever...

Toy Ranch

That Verne Langdon zombie mask and the Monster Scene cover are also masks in 3-D displays.

Toy Ranch

There is one fellow, who is known as "Evil Wilhelm", who has the vintage Don Post masks from that ad and has created a 1:1 scale dispaly with them.  You can see part of it in this shot.

I know someone else who is planning a similar display.  It'll be hard to do, as some of those mask are extremely rare (2 or 3 known to exist rare)

For most of us, that resin kit is as close as it gets, so that's a great thing to have.  Nice piece Robert.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Toy Ranch on February 29, 2008, 07:42:06 PM
Eliot Brodsky of the Rubber Room website has been using masks to create 3-D displays

LOL Earlier I was thinking it would be cool to do a monster mag (front) cover using a mask or toy or whatever and that MONSTER WORLD #6 would be an easy one, as it feature a DP Frank mask. Love the Zombie mask ad, too!
CREATURE FAN

Mike Scott

Quote from: Toy Ranch on February 29, 2008, 07:50:20 PM
Don Post masks from that ad and has created a 1:1 scale dispaly with them.

Day-um! That is cool!
CREATURE FAN

HMAEA

"I like parades, but this one is different."

Dr.Terror

I plan to do something very similar with my masks.  I'm going to try to replicate the later mask ads from the 70's.  Still have some pieces to find and restore before it happens.

Elliot's and Evil's displays, especially Evils, He's one of the reasons I collect masks, have been a huge inspiration.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

gracebuster

Although not an exact display. These ORIGINAL 800 line masks  on the top 2 shelves, are in the correct order of the mid 70's ad.

Dante told me when we were setting up the museum that he, "canted the mask like the ad!"

I said, "did you just use a word that had been excised from the vernacular 3 decades ago?"

He replied,"yes!"

I said, "some people could, Some people couldn't, Dante cant!"

Toy Ranch

hahahahaha! 

That 800 line display of yours is amazing, Dan.  I don't think anyone else even has all of them, do they? 

Minion

Here's my copy of the Terry Prince kit

Creepy

I love all these displays!  Being a mask collector I am always impressed with cool display ideas.

The mini-mask display is a really cool kit.  The 800 line display is nuts!  What a fantastic collection!
Check out my Vintage posters and Masks at The Haunted Cinema

poseablemonster

Man, what an AMAZING thread!  I love the idea that the displays are getting so involved with some collectors; I've always felt that a big part of what makes a collection special is the presentation.  Someone that knows Evil well enough needs to talk him in to posting some pics of that 1:1 display of his.  I'm not sure that my 'ole heart can take it, but I'm willing to chance it. :o

gracebuster

Dr. Shocker's as painted by the great John Gilbert.