Calvin Corpse: The Dead Doll: He's passed away but wants to play!

Started by Anton Phibes, June 05, 2010, 09:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

OK, while out at the flea market, a dealer in ghoulish goodies had an item behind the counter he wanted to show me. I bought it because it was neat and I had never heard of it before. His tag says 1990, which is waaaay before all the collectibles scene really took off, and parents were still hollering about Matchbox's Freddy doll. Anyone know if he's got any value to him or what the story behind his production is?

marsattacks666

Really cool. btw. But, I have never seen it either. I tried Google too.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

The Creeper

Long live the UMA!

Monster Bob

For some reason, my memory is telling me these were sold at Hallmark Card stores for Halloween.

gracebuster

Bob, that is so funny. My initial mental recall was also Hallmark. Looks like the kind of thing they would have out for seasonal shopping. ALthough the NOOSE might have been added "after market."

Whatever the case it very cool. the screen printed rats burrowing into his body is very gross. :)

Scatter

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Anton Phibes

I would say that once Seth sees it, its gonna be in his collection and not mine, lol! ;D

draculafan

great doll anton reminds me of the cryptkeeper from the cartoon tales from the cryptkeeper here some more info i found out about it let me know if you ever want to sell it ;) http://jgroman.blogspot.com/2009/04/sketch-o-rama-vampirella.html
everybody shout time for the goolies get together

Anton Phibes

Quote from: draculafan on June 07, 2010, 11:22:21 AM
great doll anton reminds me of the cryptkeeper from the cartoon tales from the cryptkeeper here some more info i found out about it let me know if you ever want to sell it ;) http://jgroman.blogspot.com/2009/04/sketch-o-rama-vampirella.html

Ahhh--mystery solved! Thanks. I will let you know if I ever tire of it.  or rather if Seth does as its already in his collection for now. ;)

zombiehorror

I knew something about Calvin looked awfully familiar.  It was bugging me all weekend!  It finally dawned on me yesterday...I have a 2D version of him!  I couldn't look until this morning since I was at the in-laws for the weekend.  Spent a little while this a.m. looking for him since I knew that I had just come across him somewhere in a box and sure enough here he is, along with a mummy...Melvin?!!  Marvin!?!  These are obviously part of James Groman's Calvin Corpse and the Cryptville Characters line and I'm pretty sure these were either from the late 80's or early 90's.

Oh, before I forget and someone has to ask, they're 15" long.

Elizabeth

James Groman worked with the American Greetings company, a competitor of Hallmark.  (Sorta like Burger King to McDonalds.)

gracebuster

I see that I was wrong about the Noose being "after market".
Very great toy. Zombiehorror, Thanks for finding the flat versions.

jgroman60

Hello1
I know that this is an older post, but just could not help but comment.
Yes, this is a doll that I produced for a short time that was part of a product line called " Calvin Corpse and the Cryptville Characters'. I sold them myself at Horror movie conventions all over the U.S. during the early-late 1990's. I eventually licensed the characters to Topstone Industries who produced a large quantity of product. They did over 20 rubber character masks, 4-6 articulated cardboard figures, 4 inflatable yard decorations, and a few other items. We even tried to sell it in as a Halloween T.V. special. We produced a 13 minute video using puppets and sets to sell the concept. What ended up happening is that Tim Burton's 'Nightmare Before Christmas' came out at the same time and people seemed to see Calvin as a knock off, when in truth he was released at the same time! Anyway, great to see him getting some attention.
Thanks, Guys!

Scatter

jgroman, thanks for popping in on this thread!! Have to say, you did some inspired work there. Do you have possession of the 13 minute concept video?? THAT would be awesome to see!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

seed_murda

Quote from: Scatter on October 12, 2011, 09:16:41 PM
jgroman, thanks for popping in on this thread!! Have to say, you did some inspired work there. Do you have possession of the 13 minute concept video?? THAT would be awesome to see!

YES !! I want to see the video !!! Jgroman60, please post it !!
"A man who limits his interests limits his life."
— Vincent Price