GUESTBOOK New Members Sign In Here - We are who we are!

Started by gracebuster, January 02, 2008, 11:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: Farley Flavors on October 12, 2016, 01:56:02 AMJoe Bob Briggs was the closest thing I had to a horror host with Monster Vision on TNT... but they never showed anything pre-70s.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=26041.0

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

daymon1234

Evening all.  I just joined up tonight.  Happy to know such a place exists.  I was always a HUGE fan of the Universal Monsters.  Scared me silly as a kid (I'm 46 now).  Frankenstein kept me up for weeks after I saw it the first time as a kid. 

There used to be a place called Castle Dracula on the strip in Myrtle Beach, SC.  I bought a Woflman, Frankenstein, and Dracula piggy bank there as a kid.  I wish I still had them now.  Long gone with so many other childhood memories of these great characters.  I spent all my allowance money as a kid buying those awesome model kits too. 

I found this site while trying to find information about the Legacy Collections of DVD's. 

Happy to meet you all.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: daymon1234 on December 29, 2016, 01:15:45 AM
Evening all.  I just joined up tonight.... 

Welcome, New Blood!

Be sure to use the SEARCH option at the top of the page to find threads & posts about your favorite collectibles.  There are years of discussion and you might want to post/ask question on one of the older ones.

ADAM

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Sir Masksalot

Hi, fellow monsterkids!

I'm happy to be a new member after years of lurking. My avatar depicts the first scary face
with which I became obsessed during boyhood. It adorned the front of a dark ride at our
local kiddie park. I've surrounded myself with scary faces ever since and look forward to
many enjoyable visits on these forums.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on February 20, 2017, 09:41:54 PM
Hi, fellow monsterkids!

I'm happy to be a new member after years of lurking. My avatar depicts the first scary face
with which I became obsessed during boyhood. It adorned the front of a dark ride at our
local kiddie park. I've surrounded myself with scary faces ever since and look forward to
many enjoyable visits on these forums.

Welcome, New Blood!

Did you manage to score the face from your childhood ride for you very own collection?

That sounds like a dream come true.
ADAM

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on February 20, 2017, 10:52:11 PM
Did you manage to score the face from your childhood ride for you very own collection?

I wish! It turned up for sale in a local shop not long after the park closed
but they wanted $900 for it. Last I heard, it's overseas somewhere ...  :(

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on February 21, 2017, 12:13:58 AM
I wish! It turned up for sale in a local shop not long after the park closed
but they wanted $900 for it. Last I heard, it's overseas somewhere ...  :(

Aw....

It would have meant more to someone who treasured it as a fond childhood memory.
ADAM

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mypetmonster

Hi, all. I used to be a member here years ago. I kind of lost track of many of the forums I used to visit when my computer died and I started doing my internetting by smart phone.
I can't remember my old username. I was the guy with the robot dog collection. Still got that but I quit adding to it a couple years back.
While I love all things monster past and present. I wasn't around for the 60s monster craze. I was born in 1976. I got interested in creature stuff when I saw ET at the tender age of six. Monsters never scared me. I did not fear the monsters under the bed or in the closet. I would have wanted to befriend them. I had a few monster toys. A rubber bendy Gremlin, Metlar from the inhumanoids line, a Boglins and my namesake, the My Pet Monster line of plush. I had all five that were available in the US. Some of the best memories I have revolved around those. Riding my bike with one of my larger monsters draped over the handle bars, taking one of the smaller ones on a school field trip. Taping the cartoon every Saturday morning and rewatching them over and over. Carrying a My Pet Monster lunch box to school.
I remember taking my Boglins to vacation Bible school. It was more popular than I was. on the rare times I didn't people asked about it.
I didn't know much about the Universal Monsters till later on. But I remember watching Creature from the Black Lagoon and loving it. I missed the 90s Universal Monster revival, something I now regret. But I wasn't collecting toys at the time so they weren't on my radar.
I love the 60s and 70s monster stuff and would love to collect it. But it's all out of my price range. I particularly like the Monster Niks and Great Garloo. Kid me would have been all over those were they available in the 80s. I fear I can only admire these things from afar. At the moment I don't have any monster stuff. I had a few vinyl Godzillas and a My Pet Monster that got destroyed in storage.
Currently the only things I own that are even remotely monster related are my three Draggles. They're part of that Hatchimals line that everyone went nuts for last Christmas. They're wierd dragon like critters with spikes down their backs and tail and bat wings. They are the least popular and thus are the easiest to acquire. Seems par for the course for electronic pets. There was a line of mini electronic creatures in the Furby line. There was one that was blue with big teeth and devil horns. Those ones ended up being shelf warmers. I guess where electronic pets are concerned people want cute. Draggles are still cute despite the bat wings and spikes but I guess anything remotely monstrous turns people away. Which sucks when you like monsters and electronic pets. Because I'd love an animatronic pet that looks like something you'd see in a monster movie. I suppose you gotta take what you can get.
I do plan to start collecting monster stuff. I especially want to snag some more vinyl Godzillas to replace the ones I lost. Wouldn't mind getting some Creature From The Black Lagoon and wolf man stuff. But sadly most of that stuff is out of my price range. Doesn't stop me from loving it though.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mypetmonster on April 11, 2017, 02:08:00 AM
Hi, all. I used to be a member here years ago.....

I have no idea what Boglins and Draggles are (they sound like Muppets), but welcome back, Old Blood.

Post some pictures so we'll know what you are collecting, nowadays.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Welcome back to the UMA, Mypetmonster !

There's lots of nice newer Creature collectibles that are affordable, like the Diamond Select Universal Monsters line, or UM stuff made by Funko. There's still stuff from the '90s that can be had cheap, like the Golden puzzles, Burger King toys, or wind-up walkers. Save a few eBay searches and see what turns up!  :)
CREATURE FAN

Mypetmonster

Thanks.
Boglins are rubber monster puppets released in the late 80s. They came in boxes designed to look like cages.
I wouldn't really say Draggles are true monster collectibles. They're part of the Hatchimals line. They were the impossible to find Toy last Christmas. Robot pets  that hatch out of eggs.There are different species of Hatchimals. I collect Draggles because of the dragon like features.
They're kind of like bird/dragon hybrids with bat wings and spiky scales running down their back and tails. Probably not true monster toys. But they appeal to the part of me that likes dragons and other fantasy creatures. I
I've kind of given up collecting robot pets in favor of monsters and other creature type things.  Many of my best memories revolve around monsters and creatures. Being disabled due to severe anxiety and depression I feel the need to surround myself with things that bring back precious memories. And Monsters and things of that nature do that better than anything.
It's good to know there's affordable UM stuff out there. I'll have to keep my eye out whenever I'm browsing ebay with money to spend.

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."