The OTHER Halloween: Walpurgis Night

Started by Unknown Primate, April 22, 2010, 10:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unknown Primate

Walpurgis Night is next week, Friday, April 30, the very night we're staying in our new house for the first time!  My daughter & I have celebrated this other Halloween, for the last several years.  You know, casting spells, human sacrifices, druid chanting, etc.  Just kidding - but we do watch a marathon of some good ol' Monster Movies!!  She moved out last year, but she's coming to spend the night!
Anyway, thought this would be of interest.

http://paranormal.about.com/od/paranormalgeneralinfo/a/aa042505.htm
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

BaronLatos35

Thanks UP!

I've heard about this night in many movies (Naschy's comes to mind). I like the idea of it being midway until Halloween night. I will join you in a monster movie marathon and add the day to my yearly calendar.

An extra day of Halloween midway through the year? Coolness...

BTW, enjoy the new home!
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

LundyAfterMidnight

The firstime I heard it in a movie was in Dracula (1931) in the coach, by one of the passengers.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

charp13

Count me in, too!  I have a Chernabog statue in my fireplace so I am reminded of Walpurgis Night, Disney style, every day :)

Opera Ghost

Quote from: Unknown Primate on April 22, 2010, 10:05:36 AM
Walpurgis Night is next week, Friday, April 30, the very night we're staying in our new house for the first time!  My daughter & I have celebrated this other Halloween, for the last several years.  You know, casting spells, human sacrifices, druid chanting, etc.  Just kidding - but we do watch a marathon of some good ol' Monster Movies!!  She moved out last year, but she's coming to spend the night!
Anyway, thought this would be of interest.

http://paranormal.about.com/od/paranormalgeneralinfo/a/aa042505.htm

Uknown thanks SO very much for sharing this. How cool is that???????????????? I've already pushed the stream around onto linked in, some friends, and co-haunters!

OG
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

charp13

Thanks for the link UP!  I guess I didn't know as much as I thought I did about Walpurgis Nacht. I got most of my info from watching Fantasia, so that would explain it :)  And congrats again on the new house!

Unknown Primate

Here's to all the ghoulies & ghosties on Walpurgis Night!

We'll all be together in monsterous spirit... and thanks to you all, for the warm wishes regarding our move into a new abode!

Opera Ghost

Quote from: charp13 on April 22, 2010, 11:13:31 AM
Count me in, too!  I have a Chernabog statue in my fireplace so I am reminded of Walpurgis Night, Disney style, every day :)

You really need to post a photo of this Charp13

OG
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

charp13

ok    I just put my first photo in photobucket, so I'll try to get it on here.............

Opera Ghost

typhooforme

I've always called Walpurgis "May Eve"--and surely there could be no more appropriate movie to watch at that time than THE WICKER MAN, which is about one isolated community's May Eve/May Day--uh--celebrations!  If someone reading this has not seen the movie, I'll say no more, so's not to present any spoilers.  There are two versions--the best one stars the late Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee (1973), and the remake (gak!) made in 2006 stars Nicholas Cage.  He's not terrible, but the movie is a pale dish of oats compared to the '73 version.
Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

charp13

Oh Sorry it took so long OG, I just got to Valdosta, Ga. with no internet signal for awhile. I got the Chernabog from Disney online within the last couple years, it's supposed to be an outdoor garden statue, but it fit right in with my living room :)

Unknown Primate

Good call, Robert!  THE WICKER MAN is perfect for the occasion!

The '73 one, of course!

BlackLagoon

Cool discussion--if I'm not mistaken  Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" was originally titled "Walpurgis Nacht"--

and yeah, original Wicker Man rocks! (so does the Iron Maiden song!)
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"