"Famous Monsters" returns!!

Started by Phantom Stranger, January 09, 2010, 12:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monster Bob

For me, Famous Monsters of Filmland and Forrest J Ackerman were synonymous, one and the same, like MAD magazine and Alfred E. Neuman. FM defined a specific time and place in my life that I have longed to find again but cannot. A unique and unusual world, printed into a magazine form, that seemed specifically aimed at me and my fascination with these grotesque and misunderstood beings that visited me every weekend via late night movie showings. And all brought to me at a level I could understand by a very unusual man that seemed like a lost relative, a regular guy who accumulated a house full of mementos that were actually used in these films and were the tangibile relics of these monstrosities that so fascinated me. A fifty year old kid. I truly wish the best for these guys that are going to attempt to resurrect FM yet again. But without the mythos of FJA, that very special magic of FMOF is gone for me. Even in its first reincarnation with Ray Ferry, the magic was still there because I knew somewhere behind those slick covers The Ackermonster still lurked. Mostly only nostalgic memories of days long past, but he was still there. But as I saw him age and as the middle aged man I had known since childhood slipped away, I realized the entity I knew as Famous Monsters was slipping away, too. And of course it was Mr. Ferry that put the final nail in the FM coffin for me, even before Forry had passed. This blighter poisoned the well. And now I can only reminisce with the yellowed pages and decades-old mail order memorabilia I have hoarded all these years- it's the only "real" way I can still reconnect with that time and place I held so dear. Beast Witches to Mr. Kim and his 'new' FM, but for me, Virginia, there just ain't no going back home.

Sean

I loved FM as a kid.  But like when Bugs Bunny stopped being done by THE Mel Blanc, it was lost for me.  I, too, wish them well.  I'll buy an issue and give it a shot.... but I understand Monster Bob.

Gasport

Yeah, i'll probably check out the first issue. Monster Bob summed it up best about the magic being gone. For me the closest thing to the original FM is Scary Monsters. Dennis Druktenis obviously does it out of love for the genre and while it may not be as slick as some publications i always feel like the overall spirit of the mag is the closest thing to the old Forry driven FM available today. I'm looking forward to the new year book coming out soon. More attention is always given to people's nostalgic monster memories in these issues and that's the kind of stuff i enjoy the most. If you haven't ever read one, i highly recommend it.

BlackLagoon

I was born too late to enjoy FM in its heyday glory, but I get it. I also have been collecting back issues. Growing up a comic book fanatic, I can remember when certain titles would change hands and writers and what once was magical just seemed deflated, cheap and an imitation of what it was only a short time ago. I can totally understand what the FM and FJA fans that grew up with it went through with this whole debacle.

With that, IDW has been a publication co that breathed new life into a some great comic book titles that other companies wouldnt touch....now taking on FM, the least I can do is pick up a copy and see what its about.

To the 1st generation monsterkids...who knows maybe they will just be honest and NOT try to be FM in its FJA glory days, but be FM now and put forth a good effort in respecting the fans and the FM name.

Hopefully...it wont suck.
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

Illoman

Did anyone see this at the bottom of the IDW article:

FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND (words and distinctive lettering design) is a registered trademark of Philip Kim. Reproduction or use of the FM name or logo in any manner, including but not limited to internet "tribute" sites without express prior written permission from the trademark owner is strictly prohibited. All contents of website ©2008 Philip Kim.  For more information visit: www.famousmonstersoffilmland.com.

I don't know, maybe Mr Kim is trying to cover his butt, but not allowing the logo to be on a "tribute" site? Isn't that the gist of a tribute site, to pay tribute? The logo is what triggers those warm fuzzies from childhood.

Mike

hammerfan

With outr Forry why bother?  Ray Ferry f##ked things up so bad I doubt this will be able to weather the storm.  If you want a great horror mag try Rue Morgue. Best thing out there by far.
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

fmofmpls

Quote from: Monster Bob on January 09, 2010, 02:34:56 AM
Beast Witches to Mr. Kim and his 'new' FM, but for me, Virginia, there just ain't no going back home.

Wow. Bob, you just nailed it on the head like no one else could. I completely agree with your assessment 100%! FM has left the building. And there will be no more encores. It's done. As it should be too in my opinion. Best of luck nonetheless to Mr. Kim and his magazine.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

mike c

I like that the title is still around, but hope the product is totally different. I agree with the sentiment that there's no going back; I've written before of FM having ended in many ways even before the end of its original run; nothing published after can ever replace it.
But it's cool that there will be a quarterly mag with the old title. Just hope it's not trying to be anything but new.

Jim Bertges

The original Famous Monsters was the "perfect storm" of elements converging at the right time. It was the Warren/Ackerman element, the sense of rediscovering the films of the 30s and 40s, the innocence of the time period in which it was produced and the youthful sense of wide eyed wonder on the part of the readership. It seemed we were all discovering this stuff together and on a grand adventure. Even though that adventure continues today, nothing can replace that sense of newness and discovery we felt back then.

I, too, am very glad that the name Famous Monsters is still around and that someone cares enough to try to make a go of it again. It can never be the same as it was, so it's time to make it into something new and relevant to us as older fans and to any new fans that will come along. It can not exist merely as a shadow of its former self. I welcome the revival and look forward to seeing what they bring us. I hope for the best.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

LundyAfterMidnight

Quote from: Gasport on January 09, 2010, 04:33:21 AM
Yeah, i'll probably check out the first issue. Monster Bob summed it up best about the magic being gone. For me the closest thing to the original FM is Scary Monsters.
My feelings exactly, well said.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Mike Scott

Quote from: Illoman on January 09, 2010, 02:39:19 PM
FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND (words and distinctive lettering design) is a registered trademark of Philip Kim. Reproduction or use of the FM name or logo in any manner, including but not limited to internet "tribute" sites without express prior written permission from the trademark owner is strictly prohibited.

It's the exact same words that Ferry had on his site for years.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Fester

I'll believe it when I see a copy.

I am seriously afraid FM will go the way of  Mad after William Gaines died.  Mad used to be the bold little magazine that satirized and lampooned anything and anybody.  Gaines published a black and white mag on the cheap and refused to advertise because "you can't advertise Coke and knock Pepsi."  Now it is glossy and full color and almost as much advertising as content.

Forry is gone, and the likes of whom we shall never see again.  If Famous Monsters is an attempt to "recreate"  4-E's mag, it will be a sad, pale imitation at best.   

I would like to see it succeed.  The world needs another good Monster Mag.  Fangoria and Rue Morgue don't do much for me.  I mean, there are some good articles and interviews, and reviews.  But the focus on gore and splatter--meh.  I'd rather subscribe Chainsaw Accident Monthly or Better Autopsies Journal.

It it is something new, well there is a chance it will succeed.  I'll give it a few issues to find itself and then decide.

Jscareshock

Latest update----IDW will publish it.  AFter some discussion Phil Kim decided he wanted more creative input to the magazine.  IDW planned to do it all themselves with no input or contributions by fans (thing of Marvel's efforts with their monster magazines in the 1970s and how they failed).  So Phil, at the urging of Monster Kid Robert Aragon, is trying to give it a little more personality.
However, the way the discussions are going is that it will be aimed at a younger audience more on the Fangoria side of horror and Fango is hurting right now.

BlackLagoon

Quote from: Jscareshock on January 10, 2010, 01:48:43 PM
However, the way the discussions are going is that it will be aimed at a younger audience more on the Fangoria side of horror and Fango is hurting right now.

Thats exactly what I dont want. I dont need another Rue Morgue, Horror Hound or Fangoria...I dont read them to begin with. All I was hoping for was magazine that had a classic title with updates. Updates being glossy pics of classic movies. I dont need another magazine for B Rated gore.

Honestly I was excited about a new FM only because I thought the content would be what the old FM was.

I guess I just wanted glossy reprints.
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"