Author Topic: Best Nosferatu score ever!  (Read 6461 times)

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
Re: Best Nosferatu score ever!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 12:44:31 AM »
I picked up a VHS copy from 1990 a few months back.  I shall pop it in tomorrow and see what that score sounds like.

SinisterSilence

• New Recruit
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
SinisterSilence, I have the original tape as well as a transfer of it on DVD. Not sure if the tape is better than what's been posted here, maybe even a bit blurrier. But I can try to make a copy to send you.

Thank you, I can PM you my address.
"Your Wife Has A Lovely Neck" - Count Orlok.

Bogey

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 09:22:09 PM »
Interesting thread.  Help me out a bit though.  Was there a score played along with the movie when it came out?

SinisterSilence

• New Recruit
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 09:36:51 PM »
Interesting thread.  Help me out a bit though.  Was there a score played along with the movie when it came out?

Yes if you are referring to its German 1922 release, I can tell you it was accompanied by great music by Hans Erdmann, as far as the American 1929 release, I have no clue.

Bogey

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 09:40:01 PM »
Thanks!  I am surprised that the original has not been redone by someone to go with this classic.  Or has it?

SinisterSilence

• New Recruit
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 09:56:37 PM »
Thanks!  I am surprised that the original has not been redone by someone to go with this classic.  Or has it?

It actually has, check the 2006 or 2013 Kino DVD/Blu-Ray

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »
I picked up a VHS copy from 1990 a few months back.  I shall pop it in tomorrow and see what that score sounds like.

Just found out my amazing VHS copy has NO score!   ;D

raycastile

• Sergeant Major
    • The Gallery of Monster Toys
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 12:04:30 AM »
Having heard several Nosferatu scores through the years, my favorite is the original as heard on the Kino Blu-Ray. It is the "real" Nosferatu score, and perfectly complements the film. Instead of going for constant creepiness, it conveys a sense of awe and wonder, reminding us that we are in the world of fairy tales and legends. If I have to listen to something other than the original score, I'll take the James Bernard version. I love James Bernard.
Raymond Castile

Anthony Caranci

• Sergeant
  • This is place of dead -- we're all dead here.
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »
There was also a 1991 Image release of a "so called" Restored version. I don't know if a VHS video cassette was released, but I do know that a 12 inch laserdisc was. I still have it, and I'm looking at it right now. This version had an organ score by Timothy Howard. Then Image released a DVD with two scores - one organ and the other was by The Silent Orchestra in 5.1. Another audio track contained a commentary by Locke Heiss.

When I first saw the clip at the beginning of this thread; I though it was from the Republic version. It was straight black and white, with no tints. Republic Pictures released a 12 inch laserdisc of it in the early 1990s. The opening credits look as though they are from the same print. I did have this version on laserdisc, but immediately sold it as the film only ran 60 minutes, and the projection speed varied greatly through out. The score was not a synthesized one. It was a generic orchestral track. That was another reason to get rid of it.

The Silent films that were released on the Republic laserdiscs were from the Paul Killian collection. They were inferior to the Blackhawk versions released by Image. Now, the Image versions are inferior as compared to the Kino Video versions.

It's interesting just how many versions of this film have surfaced for one that was NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO EXIST ANYMORE!

P.S. I do remember that version of Metropolis that was broadcast on PBS. I lived in California at the time. I don't remember the name of the composer, but the name was German. It was an awesome track to accompany the film. It was obvious that electronic keyboards were used for that one too.

SinisterSilence

• New Recruit
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
Just found out my amazing VHS copy has NO score!   ;D

If it is the one I'm thinking about, and I have it too, is it the Goodtimes release of which you speak. I have it and While I love scores with the film, imagine just how creepier it is to watch that old scratchy black and white print, without any form of musical accompaniment. I do have to laugh at the blurb on the cover though, it says "Silent Classics - in the SP mode", though the two copies I have are both in LP mode.  :laugh:

SinisterSilence

• New Recruit
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
There was also a 1991 Image release of a "so called" Restored version. I don't know if a VHS video cassette was released, but I do know that a 12 inch laserdisc was. I still have it, and I'm looking at it right now. This version had an organ score by Timothy Howard. Then Image released a DVD with two scores - one organ and the other was by The Silent Orchestra in 5.1. Another audio track contained a commentary by Locke Heiss.

When I first saw the clip at the beginning of this thread; I though it was from the Republic version. It was straight black and white, with no tints. Republic Pictures released a 12 inch laserdisc of it in the early 1990s. The opening credits look as though they are from the same print. I did have this version on laserdisc, but immediately sold it as the film only ran 60 minutes, and the projection speed varied greatly through out. The score was not a synthesized one. It was a generic orchestral track. That was another reason to get rid of it.

The Silent films that were released on the Republic laserdiscs were from the Paul Killian collection. They were inferior to the Blackhawk versions released by Image. Now, the Image versions are inferior as compared to the Kino Video versions.

It's interesting just how many versions of this film have surfaced for one that was NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO EXIST ANYMORE!

P.S. I do remember that version of Metropolis that was broadcast on PBS. I lived in California at the time. I don't remember the name of the composer, but the name was German. It was an awesome track to accompany the film. It was obvious that electronic keyboards were used for that one too.

I used to rent the Republic one from a library all the time, it contained the Peter Schirmann track prepared for a 60s reissue, this score surfaces on the Madacy and Alpha DVD versions, sadly the alpha one is out of sync. The print of Nosferatu on that tape had Janus Films at the beginning of it, I didn't know they had that film in their collection.

SinisterSilence

• New Recruit
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
So surprised no one here brought up the infamous Kartes Video Communications release, which featured a 1974 Thunderbird Films Print and a score compiled of 50's horror movie stock music.

Man Without A Face

• New Recruit
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 11:56:55 PM »
So surprised no one here brought up the infamous Kartes Video Communications release, which featured a 1974 Thunderbird Films Print and a score compiled of 50's horror movie stock music.

I am actually looking for this version. Do you know of anyone who might have ripped it from VHS?

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 12:55:04 AM »
Welcome to the UMA, Man Without A Face!  :)
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Man Without A Face

• New Recruit
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2019, 01:02:19 AM »
Welcome to the UMA, Man Without A Face!  :)

THANKS!