Author Topic: Michael Thomas has died  (Read 5242 times)

Wich2

• Sergeant
Michael Thomas has died
« on: August 24, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »
Per Tom Weaver:

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/25650

Michael Thomas has just died, just short of his 60th birthday, at home after some medical procedure.

I just screened THE DEVIL YOU KNOW at our mini-UMA meet last weekend; Mike did my appliances for that one.

I also shared several I-Con panels with him, courtesy of Prof. Kinema; he was truly a unique guy - and could be hoot to be with.

Rest to him, and comfort to his loved ones,
-Craig

toysoldierman2001

• Sergeant
Re: Michael Thomas has died
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »
That is truely very sad news.May he rest in ever loving peace and his family find comfort knowing he is now with our Lord in heaven.

CreepyJeff

• VP of Merchandising
    • CJ Classics
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
What horrible news.  He was so talented on so many levels (make up, acting, voice, etc etc) and so very nice and approachable at Monster Bash (the only convention I had seen him at).  RIP, Igor. 
"Work...Finish.  Then sleep!"

ProfGriffin

• Corporal
  • Horror Historian
    • The Midnight Shadow Show
Michael Thomas
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
I just read that Michael Thomas has passed away...not sure if this is old news or not.
I loved Michael Thomas...he was always at Monster Bash as "Old Ygor" and made quite a name for himself in Monster fandom for his Lugosi impersonations.  (He's been Dracula, Dr. Vornoff, Ygor, etc. )

It will be sad to think of the Bash without him.

Did anyone here know him well?  Was he ill?
Not trying to be morbid, but I did not know if this is a shock, or not.

Regardless, my condolensces to his family and many many friends.

He was a great fan and a heck of a Monster Kid.

Sincerely,

Joseph Fotinos
(Prof. Griffin)
Rest in Peace,

Prof. Griffin
Horror Historian

RockyNelson

• New Recruit
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 05:33:27 PM »
R.I.P., Bela "Dracula" LuGosi imitator & actor, fiend & annual guest of The "Monster Bash" Classic Movie Convention, Michael Thomas. I met him many times at "Monster BASH" Convention, videotaped him as IGOR & he appears in cameos in some of my recent "Monster" comedy movies. Here's what I just said of him, in full & posted. -"ROCK"! Here is what I said on Mr. Michael "BELA" Thomas. See a photo of him, as Dracula in the new movie, "House of Wolfman" at "Creepy Classics", Home of "Monster BASH"(at: www.CreepyClassics.com)! David ROCK Nelson just said:
Today I just read at "Monster BASH" website(www.CreepyClassics.com) that Bela "Dracula" LuGosi imitator & actor, fiend & annual guest of The "Monster Bash" Classic Movie Convention, Michael Thomas passed away this weekend. I met him often at "Monster BASH" (I've attended every the 1st one in '97), even videotaped him, as he's been in cameo scenes of some of my recent "monster" comedy movies, on dvd. He was fun to meet & talk to. I saw him dressed as "IGOR" on Martha Stewart's "Halloween" show in 2004 or so. May Mr. Michael Thomas rest in peace. Your "Fiend", ROCK, a.k.a. "ROCK 'MONSTA'(Monster)"! David "ROCK" Nelson, Monster comedy movie maker, actor, former Marine Corporal('76-'80), former Chicago Golden Gloves Boxer('76, '88-'91), etc. Now, see what ROCK's "Fiend", Monster Bash attendee & photographer told him on Mr. Thomas. Karl also visited "Okeefenokke Swamps" last week & played IGOR's song cd to & from the swamps! Ironically, Sat. David ROCK Nelson was helping at the "Chicago All Star Wrestling" show Sat. & began doing his own "swamp-type" monster flick, about an Aligator monster(dna turns a beauty into the monster) titled, "GATOR Gal"! Yesterday/Sun. Rock did the "mad dr." scenes in his "dungeon"(his
basement). Today, I heard the sad news on Michael "BELA" Thomas. Here's what "Monster Bash" attendee & photographer, Karl SPISSAK just said on Mr. Thomas:
Rock,

Igor is dead? That's terrible! He did the best monster impersonation that I've ever seen. He WAS Igor! That's one more of our Monster Bash family gone. Of course, we knew Forry wouldn't be around long, due to his age. But Michael was young, at least relatively young, wasn't he?

We just got back from vacation, visiting the Okefenokee Swamp, among other places. We listened to the "Igor" CD, and "Bela Lugosi", both by Michael. On the way down, and back.
The swamp reminded me of Michael playing Dr. Vornoff, in Bride Of The Monster,

"Home? I have no home. Hunted, despised, Living like an animal! The jungle is my home. But I will show the world that I can be its master! I will perfect my own race of people. A race of atomic supermen which will conquer the world! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

"This swamp is a monument to death. Snakes, alligators, quicksand... all bent on one thing: destruction."

What a terrible loss!

Karl     -Karl Spissak, Monster Bash attendee, photographer -& "Fiend" of David ROCK Nelson

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »
OMG---I just discovered him in the forthcoming House of the Wolfman project.  That's terrible!
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

gracebuster

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:30:39 PM »
Love this guy and got to spend a few minutes with him on the HOUSE OF WOLFMAN set.
He was always a gracious presence and so talented.
God Bless he and his wife.

raycastile

• Sergeant Major
    • The Gallery of Monster Toys
Re: Michael Thomas
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 07:33:50 PM »
I enjoyed seeing him at the Monster Bash.  He was very talented and entertaining.  His Ygor was priceless.  My sympathies go out to his fans, friends and family.
Raymond Castile

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 07:40:27 PM »
I loved Michael's stuff in his Seduction Cinema appearances over the years, of which Ygor was but one..I found him to be very funny & talented. My condolences to his loved ones & friends, and may he rest in peace!
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

Wich2

• Sergeant
Re: Michael Thomas
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 07:52:28 PM »
Thread here, guys:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=5781.0;topicseen

(Two topics merged by moderator.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:02:26 PM by raycastile »

michblk

• Sergeant
  • Brian K
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
Wow, this is sad.  He seemed like he enjoyed his work very much!

My condolences to his friends and family!

RIP

Brian
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

Gasport

• Sergeant
  • pull my finger...
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
This is very painful for me, as i am at a loss for words...i've known Mike for many years. We've performed together numerous times at Chiller Saturday night parties. I did all the instrumental tracks for Mike and Joe Girardi [aka Dr. Skull] on their ''Bela Lugosi'' Tribute song...my God, that was already 10 years ago... Great, great times being on stage together with Zacherley performing the latter song and Monster Mash. [twice w/the late, great Bobby Pickett]

So many wonderful memories that i can't gather my thoughts to coherently relate at the moment...  I saw him at the Spring Chiller in the dealers room where we stood right next to each other for like 5 mins looking at the same shelf and i didn't recognize him. We finally turned and pointed at each other, wide eyed. He was unusually thin and was using a cane. He seemed very frail. But then again, there were times during past shows when i knew he wasn't well from various surgeries he'd undergone, yet he'd boldly stroll onto the stage, dressed as Dracula like he owned the place. Every hand gesture & facial expression 100% dead-on perfect. Will post more as i gather my thoughts. Right now i just can't wrap my brain around the reality of a world without Mike. I love you, buddy. It was an honor knowing you and heaven is a better place just for having you in it.
                                                                                   Mike Gilks

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 10:24:44 PM »
After enjoying his performances at many Bash conventions--where I never go to speak to him for very long at a time, he was so busy there--I finally was able to talk to him and his wife at a much more leisurely pace at the very small Kingsport TN convention late in 2008 when they were set up--sort of back to back to us--when I was with Sara Karloff.  Mike was Igor there and was a delight in every way, so funny and kind, as Igor, kibitzing with Sara--and so warm and gracious talking with me, just being Mike.  His passing is a terrible loss to this classic horror fan-world.  He was, in every way, a class act.
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

LundyAfterMidnight

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 10:58:22 PM »
My heartfelt condolences. How fortunate many of you are to have known & worked w/him.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Monster Kid

• Corporal
  • I may look ordinary; I am really a mad scientist.
    • Deborah Painter's Writing News
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 08:49:49 AM »
Wow, this was a sad thing to read.  Michael Thomas always brought a laugh!  I am so glad to have been able to write about him several times over the years.