Author Topic: The REAL DR. SHOCK  (Read 3276 times)

gracebuster

• Sergeant Major
The REAL DR. SHOCK
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
Yes friends, today I write about the real Dr. Shock NOT some BS pretender like Dr. Shocker!

The real Dr. Shock has finally recieved the kudos he deserved by our very own John SCARESHOCK!

Why he has not made the army aware of his wonderful labor of love, I have no idea- but I will tell you that you MUST BUY THIS BOOK!!!!

Here is the front and back cover side by side.

John has CRAMMED this book with fantastic photos and information. It is a dream come true for fans of , not only SHOCKY DOC, but any HORROR HOST!

Buy it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Frightful-Dr-Shock-John-Skerchock/dp/0984082824/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249080248&sr=1-1

I can't write an Amazon review since I wrote the Afterword. Could one of you write kind words on there about all of John's diligence and hard work, once you have read it..

GAKENSTEIN

• Sergeant
Re: The REAL DR. SHOCK
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Dan!  Just placed my Amazon order.  I grew up in Dover, DE so the good Dr. was my horror host too!  I remember one Monday morning in '74 or so, everyone was buzzing Monday morning at school about how cool Dr. Shock had been on Saturday afternoon.  Apparently he had made a personal appearance at the local theater, hosting a double feature monstrous matinee, doing magic, autographing stills, etc.  A couple kids got Dr. Shock pinbacks!  Arghhh!  I never even heard about it!  Crap in a hat!  I tried to cadge a signed photo off a guy who owed me for lunch money.  Bastard wouldn't budge.

Dr. Shock died WAY too soon.  The airwaves over the Delaware Valley have never been the same.  Poor Bubbles....
"Supernatural perhaps, baloney perhaps not!"

monsterphile

• Sergeant Major
  • UMA member since September 29, 2003
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:53 PM »
I'm definitely going to have to get this book also.  I feel your pain Gak.  I never got to see him at any appearances either.  I did get to meet his daughter Bubbles (Doreen) a few years ago though.

Rob

michblk

• Sergeant
  • Brian K
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:29:33 PM »
Johnny, shame on you.  Self promotion is welcomed around here.  How are we suppossed to support our fellow UMA'ers if we don't know.  Next time let us know!   

Looking forward to getting it and reading it!

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

mike c

• Sergeant
  • A very fine day.
    • The Skull & Pumpkin, est. 1968
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 02:14:13 AM »
EXCELLENT news! Ordering now... and John, congratulations! I can't wait to read it! Why didn't you let us know? Or did Danny just beat you to it?

Way to go man-

Mike C.

kang1960

• New Recruit
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:56 AM »
Wow. Thanks. I remember Dr. Shock on Channel 17 in Philly. I look forward to reading this book too.

Type3Toys

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 07:03:04 AM »
Wow. Thanks. I remember Dr. Shock on Channel 17 in Philly. I look forward to reading this book too.

Yup! I grew up and still live in NJ. Sat afternoon I was always tuned in to Ch 17 to check out ole Shockie Doc.

ChrisW

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
Very cool - Saturday nights with the Doc was a regular event growing up in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Channel 17 came in via Service Electric cable - and hence my introduction to so many monster classics, and some  not-so-classics!
Thanks for the alert!
Dan, are you from the Philly area?

BaronLatos35

• Sergeant
  • "Now's the time for scary things..."
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »
Looks great, congratulations to UMA's newest author!
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Jscareshock

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Folks, Danny just told me abut this post.

I am the author and I want to thank you for the kind words.

This book follows on the footsteps of THE ZACHERLEY SCRAPBOOK which I did a few years back.

If anyone is intersted in buying a signed copy you can contact me and let me know.  The price is $24.95 and that includes shipping.  You can send payment to paypal at scareshock(*at*)comcast.net and in the remarks indicate you are from the UMA.

Dr. Jitters

• Corporal
    • House of Jitters
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
Congrats on putting the book together!  It's great to see individual horror hosts getting in-depth treatment like this.

monsterphile

• Sergeant Major
  • UMA member since September 29, 2003
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »
I got my book from John and it's next up to be read as soon as I finish the book that I am currently reading.  Just flipping through it, I can tell that it will be neat to get further insight into our dear Dr. Shock.

Rob