Bill Lemon's Aurora Frankenstein

Started by roheimiana, January 11, 2008, 07:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eye of Kharis

Thomas Graham and I have exchanged emails in the past - in an effort to help clarify things, I've asked him if he can possibly provide any additional details or insight into this mystery...  looking forward to his response.
"There's a curse upon it - it means death to whoever breaks that seal..."- heard whenever my kids want to open my shrinkwrapped vintage Auroras

fmofmpls

Those pics leave little doubt that the Aurora Frankenstein was indeed patterned, if not strongly influenced, after the Glenn Strange monster. Then again, what Frankenstein monster toy from the 1960s wasn't? Not many, if any at all.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

docplastic

Hello. Tom Graham here. It looks like I may be in error on the connection between the Marx wind-up Frankenstein walker and the Aurora model. Bill Lemon quite definitely did tell me that he was given a "toy" as one of the references for development of the model prototype. For a long time I had no idea what that toy could have been, but then I found an article [which, of course, I can't locate now] stating that the Marx walker was released in the 1950s. I believed the article, having no expertese in Marx toys myself. If the Marx toy was not reliesed until 1963, I think it doubtful that the relationship of the two items is Marx to Aurora, and is more likely Aurora to Marx. I am curious about the rubber Frankenstein with the bunny logo on its back. It would be interesting to confirm if it pre-dates 1960. Thanks for this interesting discussion. There are several errors in the "Aurora Model Kits" book that will need correcting in the next edition.

raycastile

The rubber Frankenstein with the bunny logo is very curious indeed...very curious...

Quote from: docplastic on January 12, 2008, 08:19:25 PM
I am curious about the rubber Frankenstein with the bunny logo on its back. It would be interesting to confirm if it pre-dates 1960. Thanks for this interesting discussion. There are several errors in the "Aurora Model Kits" book that will need correcting in the next edition.
Raymond Castile

Toy Ranch

The Kitahara book Yesterday's Toys Vol 3 "Robots, Spaceships, and Monsters" date the batt op and windup Frankenstein toys as 1950's, along with the first Blushing Frankenstein and the Mons-Turn toy.  That was probably the source of the 50's date.

Toy Ranch

Quote from: raycastile on January 12, 2008, 08:32:25 PM
The rubber Frankenstein with the bunny logo is very curious indeed...very curious...

Raymond, I thought you were joking about that, and that it was one of those rubber casts of the Aurora models from Mexico.  Not the case?

raycastile

As I just told Tom in PM, it is a joke.
Raymond Castile

TomlandMummy

Raymond, I must respectfully object to your "curious" post.  Tom was asking a serious question and you took advantage of the situation by trying to trick him.  You should treat our new members with more courtesy and respect.  Otherwise, they may not bother to join UMA.  I have said my peace.
Tomland Mummy

raycastile

Tomland Mummy, you are just a toy and do not understand the subtleties of human social interaction.  In future, please confine your online activities to conversations with your own kind.  Mego Zé, that goes for you, too.  Save it.  I do not want to hear it.  Toys are for collecting, not for talking.
Raymond Castile

MegoZéDoCaixão

Pobre Sr. Mummy, o humano com o barba é mau a você. Eu pensei que você dito este homem era uma pessoa amável. Ha! Agora, eu compreendo porque você tem sempre um "frown" em sua cara.
Mego Zé do Caixão

Gary D Macabre

And why would an Egyptian Mummy understand Spanish?  Toys, sheesh.  These guys are getting a bit big headed for their shelves Ray.  May I suggest a couple fire crackers or roman candles to keep them in line.
Gary D. Macabre
Phantom of the UMA lounge

Eye of Kharis

HA! And Bill Lemon didn't sculpt either of 'em!!
"There's a curse upon it - it means death to whoever breaks that seal..."- heard whenever my kids want to open my shrinkwrapped vintage Auroras

ProfGriffin

Quote from: fmofmpls on January 12, 2008, 06:11:18 PM
Those pics leave little doubt that the Aurora Frankenstein was indeed patterned, if not strongly influenced, after the Glenn Strange monster. Then again, what Frankenstein monster toy from the 1960s wasn't? Not many, if any at all.

Wait a minute...
I'm, not expert...but the BOX art was obviously influenced by Glenn's photo...AND an earlt Karloff Prototype with the odd 'flesh horns' and while the model's  POSE might be Strange, it's a Bride of Frankenstein KARLOFF model...(burned hair, exposed clamps, burns on his cheek and head...and the tattered burned clothes).
The actual MODEL face is from Karloff in The Bride...not Strange.

Anyone?
Rest in Peace,

Prof. Griffin
Horror Historian

Tom Smith Monsternut

I posted this elsewhere in another thread but when I watched it again I noticed about .010 into it  on the counter is this Wolfman pic . It had to be the one used for Aurora and Bama for the Wolfman model and box art .
I never saw it before now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJelFr0hHj4

Tom
Tom Smith " Dr. Deadly"

Wich2

>the BOX art was obviously influenced by Glenn's photo...AND an earlt Karloff Prototype with the odd 'flesh horns' ...
The actual MODEL face is from Karloff in The Bride<

Yessir, Prof.

Best,
-Craig W.