Author Topic: Monster Comics  (Read 78334 times)

creaturefan95

• Sergeant
  • Twentysomething Creature and comic book collector
Re: Monster Comics
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »

Lazarus

• Sergeant
  • Monster Kid Forever
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2017, 08:30:54 PM »
Elmer, from Sub-Mariner Comics #35

Poor Elmer exploded.

Fantomah

• New Recruit
« Reply #497 on: March 12, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
Some great comics and incredible art here--thanks for posting. I'm a comic book fan, interested in Golden through early Bronze Age, but I'm not so well-versed in horror comics so I love seeing these covers and art.

Just curious, where do you folks usually buy these older comics? Online comics vendors (which ones), eBay, your LCS, local yard sales, elsewhere?

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #498 on: March 12, 2017, 04:35:56 PM »
Just curious, where do you folks usually buy these older comics? Online comics vendors (which ones), eBay, your LCS, local yard sales, elsewhere?

I'm nearly out of room so I've been doing more selling of books I no longer collect than buying. When I do buy it's almost always on eBay but you have to be very careful and know what things are selling for and how to grade. You can do an eBay search for SOLD listings to get an idea of fair market value for a given book, as well as check other sources online such as price guides and major dealers' lists. Most of the prices in print guides like Overstreet are too high on common books and not high enough on keys. Unless I can get a book really cheap I won't buy from a vendor unless good scans are posted of the front and back covers, or I've dealt with the seller enough before to trust them. Most eBay sellers over-grade by at least a full grade and then price the book a bit below that which means you're still over-paying. Learn to see through the BS. Everybody sells on eBay- big dealers, small dealers, collectors, and people who don't know anything about comics. There are good deals to be had but it takes knowledge and work to find them in all that chaos, ineptitude, and sometimes downright dishonesty.

When I went after my Turok run I bought a few cheap eBay lots including a near full run with many that needed upgrading. The remaining issues I needed to upgrade I saved eBay searches for those particular issues and waited for auction listings to bid on instead of using Buy It Nows which are usually more expensive (but not always). With this approach you end up with a few duplicates which can be sold or traded later, but I've found this is the most economical way to complete a title if you don't mind going to some extra trouble and waiting awhile for the auction listings to come up. I'm happy with accurately graded VG-FN older books, or even G-VG expensive older books. Many of my older Turoks are in the G-VG range, but I upgraded the ones in FAIR (those are just too ugly). I don't have a lot of money to throw around and I don't buy slabbed books. If you can grade and know what you're doing you can build a nice collection without going the slabbed route. But, if someone chooses to collect slabbed books then that's their business. It's just not for me.

I recently bought a copy of Weird Tales Of The Macabre #2 from an eBay seller who actually seems to grade accurately by the scans/descriptions of this book and some of their other offerings. Here's a link to their listings: http://www.ebay.com/usr/andymac2570?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754 I haven't received the book yet but from what I can tell this seller seems a cut above most on eBay. They had that book in FN listed at $20 on a BIN with Make Offer and when I offered $15 it was immediately accepted. They offered a choice of shipping with fair prices. If the book checks out okay when it arrives this dealer will be the first place I check when I (rarely) seek more books.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

creaturefan95

• Sergeant
  • Twentysomething Creature and comic book collector
« Reply #499 on: March 12, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »

Fantomah

• New Recruit
« Reply #500 on: March 13, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
I'm nearly out of room so I've been doing more selling of books I no longer collect than buying. When I do buy it's almost always on eBay but you have to be very careful and know what things are selling for and how to grade. You can do an eBay search for SOLD listings to get an idea of fair market value for a given book, as well as check other sources online such as price guides and major dealers' lists. Most of the prices in print guides like Overstreet are too high on common books and not high enough on keys. Unless I can get a book really cheap I won't buy from a vendor unless good scans are posted of the front and back covers, or I've dealt with the seller enough before to trust them. Most eBay sellers over-grade by at least a full grade and then price the book a bit below that which means you're still over-paying. Learn to see through the BS. Everybody sells on eBay- big dealers, small dealers, collectors, and people who don't know anything about comics. There are good deals to be had but it takes knowledge and work to find them in all that chaos, ineptitude, and sometimes downright dishonesty.

Many thanks for the details and tips, hh. Very, very helpful!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #501 on: March 13, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Many thanks for the details and tips, hh. Very, very helpful!
You're welcome, Fantomah.

I get a little long winded sometimes when I discuss something that really interests me. I've collected comics since 1975 and have been reading them since I was 4 years of age in 1963. Horror/Monster comics and mags are my favorites, and are the focus of my collection.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #502 on: March 16, 2017, 12:23:27 AM »

\

Great stuff! Always enjoy looking at Marvel Horror covers.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #503 on: March 16, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Picked up a copy of SWAMPMEN: Muck-Monsters And Their Makers! (Twomorrows Publishing, 2014) from an eBay seller.

Twomorrows always does good work and this is no exception. It covers Swamp Thing, Man-Thing, The Heap, and all the rest of the Muck-Monsters from comics and monster mags. The only one I believe they overlooked is Sludge from Malibu Comics, but man they sure included every other obscure swamp dude from the world of comic book monsters! Recommended, especially if you grew up loving these slimey characters.

8)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
  • You won't hear me until it's too late!
« Reply #504 on: March 18, 2017, 05:38:01 PM »
This one of my all time fave Sci-Fi covers. Very Mars Attacks like. Love to have a poster minus the title

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #505 on: March 18, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
I bought all of those Russ Jones comics as they came out.

But I've kept only a few, as the stories tend to all run together.

-Craig

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #506 on: March 30, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »
Classic Horror Hotties by Dan Brereton:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Lazarus

• Sergeant
  • Monster Kid Forever
« Reply #507 on: March 30, 2017, 02:27:19 PM »
I would kill for a new Addams Family sitcom.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #508 on: March 30, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »
This one of my all time fave Sci-Fi covers. Very Mars Attacks like. Love to have a poster minus the title

Oh yeah! Great cover.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #509 on: March 30, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
Got these Atlas issues from an eBay seller- Tales Of Evil #s 1-3 (VF-NM range):

Atlas/Seaboard was a short lived company who published 61 total comic books in 1975 and 11 total magazines in late 1974 through 1975. They turned out some pretty good stuff along with their share of mediocre books as well. Some of the top comic guys then working for Marvel, DC, and Charlton, did work for Atlas/Seaboard including Neal Adams, Steve Ditko, Wally Wood, Boris Vallejo, Tom Sutton, Ralph Reese, Dick Giordano, Pablo Marcos, and many others. Here's a link to a cool website which gives the scoop on all things Atlas/Seaboard: http://www.atlasarchives.com/

I have most of the Atlas comics and all of the mags except for Gothic Romances which is scarce. The Atlas books have a fond place in my heart due to my buying them in flea markets, yard sales, used book stores, and quarter boxes at comic cons back in the '70s. I started collecting at the end of 1975 so these things were all over the place for those of us who sought out comics through second hand market sources. I recommend them for anyone who enjoys that 1970s comic/monster mag vibe. They're still relatively cheap for reading copies but high grade examples have been creeping up in price the last few years. As with any older comics buy them sooner rather than later and save some bucks. Now I have all of the Bog Beast appearances...yay me!  :laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...