Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 11, 2009, 12:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

creaturefan95

I just bought a low-grade copy of Strange Tales #80 from a seller on eBay for $19.99 shipped! I will scan the cover when it arrives ;)

creaturefan95

Here it is just like I promised:

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Wich2 on September 11, 2015, 01:47:31 PM
>I always loved Jack Kirby's art and this was one of my most favorite of his monsters.<

This would be mine (though like many of the best monsters, he was really anything but!):

>Marvel was reprinting a LOT of their pre-hero monster stories back in the early-mid '70s.<

Just doin' what Marvel did - trying to glut the market, and so eat some of someone else's pie! (In this case, Charlton's.)

I love Jack Kirby and that is one cool monster. I can see inklings of early Hulk in that guy.

creaturefan95

Wicked Lester

Just had this arrive a couple days ago. Another quality Precode reprint. So far so good. Recommended. >:D

marsattacks666

Quote from: Wicked Lester on January 14, 2016, 12:41:58 AM
Just had this arrive a couple days ago. Another quality Precode reprint. So far so good. Recommended. >:D

Very cool!!! I bought the Harvey Horror reprints.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Lazarus

The Yoe books usually aren't comprehensive, right?  They just pick the best examples?  I know their Dick Briefer Frankenstein comics was just a selection. 

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Lazarus on January 21, 2016, 12:16:55 PM
The Yoe books usually aren't comprehensive, right?  They just pick the best examples?  I know their Dick Briefer Frankenstein comics was just a selection.

Usually the Yoe books are examples of the best of and quite often pertain to certain artists.. In this case though with COMPLETE VooDoo they will be in a full run over,I believe,3 volumes. Probably why the PS artbooks and Harvey horrors are usually more than 2X the price. Full runs.

Lazarus

Quote from: Wicked Lester on January 22, 2016, 12:48:18 AM
Usually the Yoe books are examples of the best of and quite often pertain to certain artists.. In this case though with COMPLETE VooDoo they will be in a full run over,I believe,3 volumes. Probably why the PS artbooks and Harvey horrors are usually more than 2X the price. Full runs.

I wonder why he chose this one to do the full run?  I would have thought some of the other stuff would do well, also.  We had alot of interest in the Eerie Publications one.

creaturefan95

I bought this from an eBay seller for $16.95 shipped:

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Lazarus on January 22, 2016, 02:36:06 AM
I wonder why he chose this one to do the full run?  I would have thought some of the other stuff would do well, also.  We had alot of interest in the Eerie Publications one.

I so agree,I would love to see the reprint series of Precode to Eerie pubs reprints in their entierty.

Lazarus

Quote from: creaturefan95 on January 22, 2016, 08:28:13 PM
I bought this from an eBay seller for $16.95 shipped:

One day I'll own a good copy of this.  ONE DAY!!!!

creaturefan95

Quote from: Lazarus on January 23, 2016, 04:44:08 AM
One day I'll own a good copy of this.  ONE DAY!!!!

Mine is only in Good/Very Good condition, but it was the only first print listed at the time so I snagged it last Saturday and it just arrived yesterday afternoon.

Lazarus

Quote from: creaturefan95 on January 23, 2016, 06:04:35 AM
Mine is only in Good/Very Good condition, but it was the only first print listed at the time so I snagged it last Saturday and it just arrived yesterday afternoon.

I try to shoot for Fine to Very Fine, if I'm going to shell out the cash for a comic.  It doesn't have to be immaculate, but I definitely want it to be nice.  Yours looks like a fantastic reading copy, though!