Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 11, 2009, 12:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: creaturefan95 on January 11, 2015, 10:17:14 PMDoes anyone think this Headless Horseman cover is worth upgrading to a nicer copy?

Comics are always worth upgrading to a nicer copy.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on December 16, 2014, 11:16:31 PMI really love the over the top take on dinosaurs back in the Monsterkid days. For all their size and natural weaponry they were just animals, but in the Monsterkid '60s those dinos became Dai Kaiju Weapons Of Mass Destruction.

Here then are scans of five more:

8)

horrorhunter

Quote from: creaturefan95 on January 11, 2015, 10:17:14 PM
Does anyone think this Headless Horseman cover is worth upgrading to a nicer copy?
It all depends on what type of collector you are. If you only buy the books to read then all you need is a complete copy. Many comic readers prefer to buy cheap copies of the originals over the new reprint compilations to own the original with the letters, ads, old newsprint smell, etc. Also, it's oftentimes cheaper to buy low grade original copies than buying the new reprint editions. Most collectors are condition conscious and prefer their comics in as nice a condition as they can get. And then you have the "slabbers" who entomb books in plastic slabs with number grades to crow about.

I prefer books to look nice but I don't need NM copies, just nice looking comic books in the FN to VFN range are cool with me (accurately graded FN to VFN comics look pretty nice). That way it doesn't devalue them when read carefully, and it doesn't cost a fortune to complete a run.

If it were me I would upgrade that Supernatural Thrillers #6. Those Bronze Age horror comics are very cool, and worth upgrading to whatever grade range most appeals to the collector.

Afterthought: Always check those mid '70s Marvels to make sure the Marvel Value Stamp isn't cut out. For awhile Marvel had one Marvel Value Stamp per comic (usually on the letters page or "Marvel news" page) and those could be cut out and put in a stamp album for some Marvel promotion at the time. Many a Marvel comic was rendered incomplete because of those stamps. The stamps were in the later 20 cent cover priced Marvels up through the 25 cent cover priced ones. Those caused many more incomplete comics than clipped coupons. http://www.mvstamps.com/
http://comics.keneriksen.com/index/posts/0/51

According to the MVS checklist Supernatural Thrillers #6 didn't have a MVS, it started with Supernatural Thrillers #8. Anyway, just some info to keep in mind.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on January 12, 2015, 04:53:36 PM
Cool dino covers, Hep. It was a pleasure to be a Dino/Monsterkid... and it still is!  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Flower

I love Star Spangled War Stories .. numbers 124, 128 and 130 are absolutely fabulous!  8)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

creaturefan95

Quote from: Hepcat on January 12, 2015, 04:53:36 PM

8)

128 is my favorite out of those five.

creaturefan95

Can anyone please tell me what condition my two issues of Supernatural Thrillers are in?

Here's a bigger scan of Spider-Woman #32 courtesy of ComicVine  ;)

Hepcat

I'd say the top one is perhaps VG/Fine while the bottom one is no more than Good.

:-\

creaturefan95

Don't own either of these issues and the scans are from GCD 8)

Flower

Very nice artwork!   ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

creaturefan95

Here is my scan of Ghostly Haunts #58 that is not showing up in Reply #224 of this thread because I stupidly deleted it from my tinypic album ::)

creaturefan95

Quote from: Flower on January 14, 2015, 02:35:12 AM
Very nice artwork!   ;D
Want to own Luis Dominguez's original artwork for the cover of Adventure 427? It'll only set you back four grand :P

While i didn't find a scan of Dick Giordano's original artwork for the cover of Adventure 409,
I did find this image of Art Saaf's unused cover for said issue:

Flower

I would love to own the artwork but there are too many other factors involved.   :(

If I win the lotto this weekend (I only play on Saturday and not on Wednesday) then it's another story.

Hepcat

Here are scans of two good monster covers from the mid-sixties I've not yet posted:

8)

jimm

Where do you get them bigarse jars? :O