Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 11, 2009, 12:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

Love the giant seahorses! Wow!  As a kid, I wished that I could ride one ..  :D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Count_Zirock

British author Kim Newman has announced he's developing an "Anno Dracula" monthly comic book for Titan Publishing. No other details, but Newman has commented, "I can't reveal anything about the AD comic except that there will be one eventually.  I can say that I personally hate comics spinoffs of fantasy series that are just adaptations of the book you already read." So, it sounds like these will be new stories, possibly covering the gaps between the stories in the four books. They are: "Anno Dracula" (set in 1888), "The Bloody Red Baron" (set during WWI), "Dracula Cha Cha Cha" (set in 1958), and "Johnny Alucard" (set in the 1970s & '80s). So, there's plenty of time in there to play with!
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Hepcat

Quote from: Flower on December 20, 2014, 10:24:58 PMLove the giant seahorses! Wow!  As a kid, I wished that I could ride one.

Aquaman was portrayed as doing precisely that in his cartoon show:

His steed's name was Storm.

:laugh:
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Here are scans of five more of my Demon comics:

8)

horrorhunter

A couple of my Bronze Age Marvel 1-shots.

Giant-Size Chillers became Giant-Size Dracula with #2, and then there was another Giant-Size Chillers title which ran 3 issues and featured Marvel pre-hero reprints.

Giant-Size Creatures became Giant-Size Werewolf with #2 (Jack Russell, Werewolf By Night).

Love that Bronze Horror from all the comic companies... including Marvel, DC, Charlton, and Gold Key.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

For monsters and aliens, DC's Aquaman title rivalled the Wonder Woman title in the Silver Age:

The oceans it seems were chock full of horrors.

hmjfym

Flower

Love the 10 cent Aquaman covers.  I'll buy them all from you at the cover price, even if they are used ..  ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Hmmmmm, I dunno. Somehow I have an emotional attachment of sorts to these old used comics.

:-\

Hepcat

Here are scans of a few more of my Swamp Thing comics:

cl:)

horrorhunter

It's very hard to beat early Wrightson work. Those first ten issues of Swamp Thing are excellent.

When I first started collecting comics in 1975 I was constantly on the hunt for cheap back issues in used book stores, flea markets, and yard sales. Those Wrightson Swamp Things were my #1 priority. I finally found them all and got to read the great stories and enjoy the art. Years later I upgraded most of them at comic cons. Comics fandom was really cool back then with undergrounds, fanzines, The Buyer's Guide (later Comics Buyer's Guide), and lots of conventions even in small towns. The market has mostly recovered from the '90s crash, but fandom is really still just a shadow of it's former self. It will never be like it was back then.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on December 29, 2014, 12:37:27 AMComics fandom was really cool back then with undergrounds, fanzines, The Buyer's Guide (later Comics Buyer's Guide), and lots of conventions even in small towns. The market has mostly recovered from the '90s crash, but fandom is really still just a shadow of it's former self. It will never be like it was back then.

I certainly miss both the friendly local conventions and the Comics Buyer's Guide, particularly when it was a two section newspaper!

But to my knowledge there was never a crash in the price of the Silver Age and older comics that most interest me. Sure, the speculators who stocked up on the Death of Superman and the #1 X-Comic du jour got burned, but I'd hesitate to say that there was ever a market for those. Oh sure, you could buy all you wanted just like those cases of the latest baseball card release, but....

:-\

Flower

When it comes to collecting anything.  My motto is to buy what you like and cherish, this way you'll never get burned. 

Hepcat

Hepcat

Here are scans of some great Adventure Comics covers featuring the Spectre as an avenging spirit:

hmjfym

jimm

Beauties all Hep...just wish you had pre-hero Marvels too