Author Topic: NEWS OF THE WORLD - Current Events (May Be Disturbing, No Politics Please)  (Read 79077 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: NEWS OF THE WORLD - Current Events (May Be Disturbing, No Politics Please)
« Reply #735 on: January 30, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »
The needle, measuring 408 feet tall, was more than enough to confirm Chicago is the Second City when it comes to tall buildings.

With the needle, 1 World Trade Center is a symbolically important 1,776 feet tall. Without it, the building would have been only 1,368 feet tall — well short of the 1,451-foot Willis Tower.

Cheat! I say the Willis Tower is still the tallest then.

>:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957

Weird Newz:

Mystery Surrounds Mummified Woman Found in Car at Michigan Home

For at least six years, a woman’s body sat undisturbed in the backseat of a Jeep, parked in the garage of her suburban Detroit home.

No one reported her missing. The grass was cut and the mail was collected. Bills were paid automatically from her bank account.

Her macabre — and unknown — demise was discovered Wednesday after the home in Pontiac, Mich., had fallen into foreclosure and the bank hired a worker to patch a hole in the roof, the Detroit Free Press reported.

The woman’s mummified body showed no signs of trauma, although the internal organs had decomposed, the Oakland County medical examiner said Thursday. Dental records will likely be needed to verify her identity, although she’s believed to be about 49 years old, Oakland County Undersheriff Michael McCabe told The Detroit News.

A cause of death was still unavailable.

“No one has seen the woman for years, so it was assumed she just moved away and the house was vacant,” McCabe said.

The case remained under investigation Friday, and authorities were still trying to understand how she ended up in the backseat of the car — with the key halfway in the ignition — and why it took so long for anyone to find her. McCabe said she lived alone and may have been self-employed, at one point having about $54,000 in her bank account.

Neighbors told police they believed she was from Germany, and often went on extended out-of-town trips. Some people thought she had moved back permanently, and one neighbor continued to mow the lawn for her.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
ADAM

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Fascinating!

:)

Fester

• Sergeant
US Navy 'game-changer': converting seawater into fuel

Washington (AFP) - The US Navy believes it has finally worked out the solution to a problem that has intrigued scientists for decades: how to take seawater and use it as fuel.

The development of a liquid hydrocarbon fuel is being hailed as "a game-changer" because it would signficantly shorten the supply chain, a weak link that makes any force easier to attack.

The US has a fleet of 15 military oil tankers, and only aircraft carriers and some submarines are equipped with nuclear propulsion.

All other vessels must frequently abandon their mission for a few hours to navigate in parallel with the tanker, a delicate operation, especially in bad weather.

The ultimate goal is to eventually get away from the dependence on oil altogether, which would also mean the navy is no longer hostage to potential shortages of oil or fluctuations in its cost.

"We are in very challenging times where we really do have to think in pretty innovative ways to look at how we create energy, how we value energy and how we consume it.

"We need to challenge the results of the assumptions that are the result of the last six decades of constant access to cheap, unlimited amounts of fuel," added Cullom.

"Basically, we've treated energy like air, something that's always there and that we don't worry about too much. But the reality is that we do have to worry about it."

US experts have found out how to extract carbon dioxide and hydrogen gas from seawater.

Then, using a catalytic converter, they transformed them into a fuel by a gas-to-liquids process. They hope the fuel will not only be able to power ships, but also planes.
That means instead of relying on tankers, ships will be able to produce fuel at sea.

- 'Game-changing' technology -

The predicted cost of jet fuel using the technology is in the range of three to six dollars per gallon, say experts at the US Naval Research Laboratory, who have already flown a model airplane with fuel produced from seawater.

Dr Heather Willauer, an research chemist who has spent nearly a decade on the project, can hardly hide her enthusiasm.

"For the first time we've been able to develop a technology to get CO2 and hydrogen from seawater simultaneously, that's a big breakthrough," she said, adding that the fuel "doesn't look or smell very different."

Now that they have demonstrated it can work, the next step is to produce it in industrial quantities. But before that, in partnership with several universities, the experts want to improve the amount of CO2 and hydrogen they can capture.

"We've demonstrated the feasibility, we want to improve the process efficiency," explained Willauer.

Collum is just as excited.

"For us in the military, in the Navy, we have some pretty unusual and different kinds of challenges," he said.

"We don't necessarily go to a gas station to get our fuel, our gas station comes to us in terms of an oiler, a replenishment ship.

"Developing a game-changing technology like this, seawater to fuel, really is something that reinvents a lot of the way we can do business when you think about logistics, readiness."

A crucial benefit, says Collum, is that the fuel can be used in the same engines already fitted in ships and aircraft.

"If you don't want to re-engineer every ship, every type of engine, every aircraft, that's why we need what we call drop-in replacement fuels that look, smell and essentially are the same as any kind of petroleum-based fuels."

Drawbacks? Only one, it seems: researchers warn it will be at least a decade before US ships are able to produce their own fuel on board.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-navy-game-changer-converting-seawater-fuel-150544958.html

Remember Cold Fusion, anyone?
Perpetual Motion?
Special carburetors that gave 200 MPG?
It would be an amazing advancement if this pans out. 
However, I'm not convinced it is real.

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
US Navy 'game-changer': converting seawater into fuel

Washington (AFP) - The US Navy believes it has finally worked out the solution to a problem that has intrigued scientists for decades: how to take seawater and use it as fuel....

You celebrate the 1st a week later than everyone else?

Next week:  Ron Popeil presents the Ronco Mr. Fusion.
ADAM

Fester

• Sergeant

Noah movie: Exeter cinema confirms real life "flooding" incident on opening night

An Exeter cinema was forced to close due to flooding - on the same day Noah opened on the big-screen nationwide.
Those wanting to attend the first viewing of the latest blockbuster at Vue cinema in Exeter on Friday could have been forgiven for thinking they got a little closer to the action than anticipated.
Staff discovered the excess water when they arrived for work just after 7am. The venue had to close to the public until 2pm - meaning the first showing of Noah at 12.15pm had to be cancelled.
The scale of water may not have been as biblical as it was on the big screen - and it is unclear if any animals had to be rescued from the confines of the cinema – - but the irony wasn’t lost on cinema-goers.
One tweeted: “#Irony. The day Noah was released Exeter Vue was flooded overnight."
The film starring Russell Crowe is expected to become one of this season’s biggest blockbusters and opened across the country on Friday. It tells the story of Noah’s vision of Earth destroyed by a flood and he decides that The Creator wants him to build an ark to protect the world’s innocent animals.
A spokesman for Vue cinema said: “We can confirm that there was flooding at Vue Exeter on Friday 4th April due to a fault with an ice machine.
"We are open for business as usual and are working with engineers to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible.”

Read more: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Noah-movie-Real-life-flooding-affects-Exeter/story-20923450-detail/story.html#ixzz2yMibbuFe

Hepcat

• Sergeant
The ultimate goal is to eventually get away from the dependence on oil altogether, which would also mean the navy is no longer hostage to potential shortages of oil or fluctuations in its cost.

The predicted cost of jet fuel using the technology is in the range of three to six dollars per gallon, say experts at the US Naval Research Laboratory, who have already flown a model airplane with fuel produced from seawater.

So much for OPEC!

Fester

• Sergeant
So much for OPEC!

Of course, it will also damage the oil export industries of Canada (2.3 million bpd in 2012) and the US (3.6 million barrels per day--despite the "ban" on exports)

Provided it actually works. ::)

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
Of course, it will also damage the oil export industries of Canada (2.3 million bpd in 2012) and the US (3.6 million barrels per day--despite the "ban" on exports)

Provided it actually works. ::)
And the cost can be brought down to under $4.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

bigbud

• Sergeant
I seem to remember, as a teenager, being told of a revolutionary carburetor that would give an automobile extreme gas mileage. But it's secrets were being suppressed by the oil industry. There was also a traveling town forum of guys that came through our area several years ago asking residents to buy-in to a revolutionary community power supply that would cut electric rates to near 0...in fact the members of the community that bought this technology would pay nothing and could even profit by selling electricity back to the electric co.  And I believe, during my entire life, there has been a miracle process that would enlarge a certain part of the male anatomy...all these and more for the right price! I personally now add fuel from seawater to the list of "yea, I'll bet...ha!"

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957

Every time I see a story like this, I remind myself:

If this were true, it would be the HEADLINE ON EVERY NEWSPAPER IN THE WORLD and the first subject on every newscast on TV.

So...  Why ain't it?
ADAM

bigbud

• Sergeant
Exactly Adam! Exactly!

Fester

• Sergeant
And the cost can be brought down to under $4.

Yeah, sure it will. ::)

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
Re: NEWS OF THE WORLD - Current Events (May Be Disturbing, No Politics Please)
« Reply #749 on: October 28, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
A southwest Florida woman was arrested after deputies said she assaulted her 71-year-old common-law husband after he complained about her cooking. A Lee County Sheriff's Office arrest report shows 66-year-old Meredith Hart Mulcahy was charged with battery on an elderly person Tuesday night.

Deputies said the man got into an argument with her about undercooked potatoes and burnt bread. He went to the bedroom and began eating, and authorities said the woman then threw a phone at him.

Deputies said Mulcahy became belligerent in the back seat of the patrol car and told them that she "burned the bread she was cooking because she was so intoxicated." She was in the Lee County Jail on Wednesday pending a $1,500 bond.

>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know if you just made me feel better about my own marriage  ::)... or if you just scared the heck out of me with regards to what I can expect. ;D

Isn't "burnt bread" just toast?