NEWS OF THE WORLD - Current Events (May Be Disturbing, No Politics Please)

Started by Toy Ranch, July 02, 2009, 05:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fester

Woman trying to addle cop drives into home

RED HOOK, N.Y., Dec. 24 (UPI) -- A New York state woman whose car crashed through the front door of a house, nearly hitting a woman watching TV, was trying to distract police, police said.

Lynn Sarnowski, 47, of Elizaville, N.Y., was charged with misdemeanor drunken driving and reckless endangerment after she drove past a Red Hook, N.Y., police officer on a winding country road at nearly 100 mph, lost control and smashed through the door of the house, narrowly missing homeowner June Lawson, Red Hook town police said.

Sarnowski started driving at the high speed to distract the town officer who had pulled over a friend of hers for possible drunken driving, police said.

Red Hook is in the Hudson Valley about 100 miles north of New York City.

Sarnowski, who had to be extricated from her car, was taken to a Poughkeepsie, N.Y., hospital, where she was charged and issued a misdemeanor drunken-driving ticket to appear in Red Hook Town Court, police said.

She was later arrested and charged with two counts of reckless endangerment, the Poughkeepsie Journal reported.

At the Red Hook home, Jason Lawson, who was on the second floor when the accident occurred, was injured when he fell down the stairs, not realizing they had been taken out by the car running into the house, the Kingston Daily Freeman reported.

Both Lawsons declined medical attention.

The operator of the vehicle originally stopped by police, Gary A. Dodge, 57, of Elizaville, was charged with two counts of felony drunken driving. He was arraigned in town court and released on his own recognizance.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/12/24/Woman-trying-to-addle-cop-drives-into-home/UPI-53901356393532/#ixzz2GE5q8ocV

Paladin

Quote from: Haunted hearse on December 27, 2012, 04:42:26 AM
Actually several do, but often in violation of the law.  The idea it's better to face legalities of protecting one's own life, then being mourned.  Isreal certainly has no problem allowing their teachers involved with Concealed carry.  Frankly, if a teacher has such mental issues, or a criminal background, they aren't allowed or can't be trusted with a firearm, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to teach children.  By the way, the website where our President's children go to school is very clear about having armed guards, so I don't believe we'll be hearing about anything like CT going on at the school where our nation's elite send their children.

I agree, HH.
"Traveler of both time and space..."

Fester

Artifacts help pinpoint key Hatfield-McCoy battle

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The Hatfield clan New Year's attack on Randolph McCoy's cabin marked a turning point in America's most famous feud — the homestead was set ablaze, and two McCoys were gunned down. Hatfield family members and supporters were soon thrown in jail.

Artifacts recently unearthed appear to pinpoint the location of the 1888 ambush in the woods of Pike County in eastern Kentucky. Excavators found bullets believed to have been fired by the McCoys in self-defense, along with fragments of windows and ceramic from the family's cabin.

"This is one of the most famous conflicts in American history, and we've got bullets fired from one of the key battles. It doesn't get any better than that," said Bill Richardson, a West Virginia University extension professor who was part of the recent discovery.

Check out the whole story here:
http://news.yahoo.com/artifacts-help-pinpoint-key-hatfield-mccoy-battle-151057482.html

Unknown Primate

That's really interesting, Dave.  After researching famous Kentucky feuds, I came across The Underwood-Stamper war.  Unfortunately, my namesakes were less than a stellar bunch of lowdown bushwhackers!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Fester

Quote from: Unknown Primate on January 01, 2013, 08:32:24 PM
That's really interesting, Dave.  After researching famous Kentucky feuds, I came across The Underwood-Stamper war.  Unfortunately, my namesakes were less than a stellar bunch of lowdown bushwhackers!

Oh!  Do Tell!
My ancestors were Border Reivers and sort of sub-upstanding citizens.

Unknown Primate

Fester

Quote from: Unknown Primate on January 01, 2013, 09:11:34 PM
LOL!  Well - no pressure on you, eh?

Yeah.   
But nobody ever named a war after us--or even a feud.

After the border between England and Scotland finally settled down to a more or less peaceful status, most of my folks emigrated to America--some actually willingly.  Apparently Australia had some standards when it came to immigration. Convicts, YES-- Scots sheep shaggers--No thanks.

And, NO!   I wasn't involved with this story! 
Spokanistan is on the other (Idaho) side of Washington. . .

Kent man attacked by coyotes in his own backyard
By Kristen Drew Published: Dec 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM PST

KENT, Wash. - A local man was attacked by coyotes in his own backyard and spent most of Friday night in the emergency room.

Now he is now warning others to be on the lookout - and he's especially worried for pets and children in the area.

Faron Scarberry says he moved to Kent about two weeks ago and he's already facing an unexpected danger in the neighborhood.

"I love wildlife," he says, "I like looking out the deck, looking at them. But when they're starting to threaten the animals and people in the neighborhood, it's gone a little bit overboard."

Scarberry says three coyotes attacked him Friday night while he was walking his dog in the backyard.

"They come up toward my face, and I kind of blocked them and pushed them away, and that's when the one grabbed me by the leg," he says.

Scarberry spent most of the night in the emergency room - diagnosed with a coyote bite and scratches. He got 24 rabies shots in his leg and two in his hip.

"It didn't hurt me bad, but I don't want any of the neighborhood kids to get hurt," he says.

Scarberry's property in the Arbor Village neighborhood off Kent Kangley Road backs up to a wooded area and Horizon Elementary School.

The attack wasn't the first coyote sighting at his property this week. His son saw the coyotes a day before. Scarberry says they're coming into the neighborhood at all hours, and got into his backyard through a hole in the fence.

Sgt. Kim Chandler of the state Department of Fish and Wildlife says urban coyote issues are "pretty constant," especially this time of year as they go out looking for food.

"They rely heavily on fruit. All the fruit is gone now, so they're now in scavenging mode - cats, little dogs are a treat, and they'll eat them," Chandler says.

Chandler advises people dealing with coyote problems to keep garbage away and pets inside.

As for Scarberry - he still has appointments for more shots over the next three weeks.

If there's a coyote attack in your neighborhood or one showing aggression, you are urged to contact the Department of Fish and Wildlife. In some cases residents can pay to have the coyotes trapped and removed.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Kent-man-attacked-by-coyotes-in-his-own-backyard-185180232.html

Fester

Just need to keep everyone abreast of the latest developments . . .

Jan 7, 2013 10:42am
Stone Breasts Miraculously Survive Lightning Strike

In what seems like a precision strike, a lightning bolt crashed down from the skies over Australia into a voluptuous Venus de Milo statue, with the breasts the only part of the torso surviving intact.

On Jan. 4 Tom Finlay, the stonemasonry head at Finlay's Stonemasonry in Yarrawonga, Australia, was standing in the courtyard when the white flash came from the sky, striking the nearly 5-foot-tall statue he had hand-carved.

"There was a clap of thunder and the sculpture blew up like a rocket-launcher had hit it," he told the NT News. "The lightning looked like a serpent. Everything disintegrated but the breasts –all that's left is what's under her hips."

The statue's 66-pound stone breasts fell over 26 feet from the steel column it was perched atop, but miraculously did not shatter. The NT News reported that only one nipple was damaged.

Finlay said that he isn't sure what to do with the surviving bosom.

"It's still a bit raw," he said. "I'll leave the statue the way it is to show the force of nature ... I might mount [the breasts] and hang them in my office."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/stone-breasts-miraculously-survive-lightning-strike/

Therin . . . Have you been playing with your phasers again? ::)

Paladin

Quote from: Fester on January 07, 2013, 06:27:53 PM
Just need to keep everyone abreast of the latest developments . . .

Jan 7, 2013 10:42am
Stone Breasts Miraculously Survive Lightning Strike

In what seems like a precision strike, a lightning bolt crashed down from the skies over Australia into a voluptuous Venus de Milo statue, with the breasts the only part of the torso surviving intact.

On Jan. 4 Tom Finlay, the stonemasonry head at Finlay's Stonemasonry in Yarrawonga, Australia, was standing in the courtyard when the white flash came from the sky, striking the nearly 5-foot-tall statue he had hand-carved.

"There was a clap of thunder and the sculpture blew up like a rocket-launcher had hit it," he told the NT News. "The lightning looked like a serpent. Everything disintegrated but the breasts –all that's left is what's under her hips."

The statue's 66-pound stone breasts fell over 26 feet from the steel column it was perched atop, but miraculously did not shatter. The NT News reported that only one nipple was damaged.

Finlay said that he isn't sure what to do with the surviving bosom.

"It's still a bit raw," he said. "I'll leave the statue the way it is to show the force of nature ... I might mount [the breasts] and hang them in my office."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/stone-breasts-miraculously-survive-lightning-strike/

Therin . . . Have you been playing with your phasers again? ::)

Ah, the mystery of the stone breasts.  Cool story .  :)
"Traveler of both time and space..."

Unknown Primate

Hmmm?  I noticed the nipples are hard.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Fester

Quote from: Unknown Primate on January 07, 2013, 07:26:36 PM
Hmmm?  I noticed the nipples are hard.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

I know - it was almost impossible!

Here are some even better lines regarding this story:  (More pictures too!)

Lightning blasts boobs off statue

A SERPENTINE lightning strike has "blown the tits" off one man's iconic tribute to Territory women. Literally.
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2013/01/07/316468_ntnews.html

Lightning blows breasts off NT's iconic Venus de Milo statue

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/lightning-blows-breasts-off-nts-iconic-venus-de-milo-statue/story-fndo20i0-1226548881543

Haunted hearse

The aforementioned threads are why I check in on this.  I feel it very important to keep abreast of the news.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Fester

All I can say is:  Nanook, A No-No! Don't be a naughty Eskimo . .

January 11, 2013
Discolored Slopes Mar Debut of Snow-Making Effort
By LESLIE MACMILLAN

After a decade of legal battles, a ski resort in Northern Arizona recently became the first in the world to make artificial snow totally out of sewage effluent. On Dec. 24, Arizona Snowbowl fired up its snow guns for the first time, and to everyone's surprise, the snow that blasted onto the mountain was yellow.

The discolored snow has sharpened an already fraught conflict.

Snowbowl's manager, J. R. Murray, said the problem was caused by rusty residue in the new snow-making equipment that carries the wastewater from neighboring Flagstaff, where it is piped directly from the town's sewage treatment plant.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/discolored-slopes-mar-debut-of-snow-making-effort/?hp

CreepysFan

Isn't rust reddish ?  Bet the skiers don't pick up very many dates, with that snowy aroma.   :o
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Unknown Primate