Ignore User Option

Started by fmofmpls, June 29, 2009, 12:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycastile

No one should be able to see whether another member is being ignored.  I asked Terry about this several weeks ago.  He said members can see only whether they personally are being ignored, not whether other members are being ignored.  That is the way it is supposed to work.  If it is not working that way, and someone here can see that another member is being ignored, please alert us.  That means the system is not working properly.
Raymond Castile

Elizabeth

We can see who is being ignored.  We've always been able to.  When I click on Dr. Phibes or Dr. G's profiles, I can see how many they are talking about.  It's always been like that.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Elizabeth

No Mike... we can see.  When we pull up someone's profile, we can see what someone else has.

It's always been like this, since the function was installed.

EDITED: Mike or another mod, feel free to delete this post since it repeats information.

Raymond, since I have your email handy, I just forwarded you a copy of what I can see in someone else's profile.

Dr.Teufel Geist

Yep, I've seen others who are ignored, when I look at their profile

raycastile

OK, I've been informed by Elizabeth and Dr. Geist that anyone can look at a member's profile and see how many people are ignoring them, though no IDs are visible.  That was not the way I understood this system operated.  I'm not sure if Terry realizes this, since this doesn't jibe with what he and I discussed several weeks ago.  The mods will talk about this.
Raymond Castile

mike c

Quote from: raycastile on August 10, 2009, 06:00:50 AM
OK, I've been informed by Elizabeth and Dr. Geist that anyone can look at a member's profile and see how many people are ignoring them, though no IDs are visible.  That was not the way I understood this system operated.  I'm not sure if Terry realizes this, since this doesn't jibe with what he and I discussed several weeks ago.  The mods will talk about this.

Thanks Ray, and all the mods. I am not against an ignore feature (which I've said before, sorry to beat a dead horse) but this one needs some work. I think ideally, members shouldn't be able to see if they're being ignored, and no one else should be able to see if another member's being ignored. Members should only be able to see that THEY are ignoring someone. If that can be accomplished, great. If it can't I'm sure you and the other moderators and Terry will find an equitable and fair resolution, no matter if it means scrapping the whole feature or whatever is best.

Mike C.

Nicole

Quote from: mike c on August 10, 2009, 06:28:40 AM
I think ideally, members shouldn't be able to see if they're being ignored, and no one else should be able to see if another member's being ignored. Members should only be able to see that THEY are ignoring someone. If it can't I'm sure you and the other moderators and Terry will find an equitable and fair resolution, no matter if it means scrapping the whole feature or whatever is best.

Mike C.

QFT. Well said.
"If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly." -Ashleigh Brilliant

Nicole

Quick question, Raymond: If you get ignored by a member and that member later gets banned from the forum, does the ignore still stay? And if so, is there any way to remove it? Or is the recipient stuck being perma-ignored by a nonexistant member?
"If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly." -Ashleigh Brilliant

fmofmpls

I am looking into correcting this problem. The ignore information should be kept private to everyone; even unto the member who is being ignored. If this can't be resolved, I will uninstall this feature altogether. What was suppose to assist and appease members only seems to have upset most members. Our apologies. We are working on fixing this.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Wich2

Even better-

We could all be weally BIG boys & girls, & not act jerky so that others want to ignore us!!!

Neato!

Scatter

Or conversely, we could keep in perspective what being "Ignored" by someone on a forum actually means in the larger scheme of life.

Personally, I would like to publicly announce that anyone who gets an irrepressible desire to put me on "Ignore" is not only free to do so, but I actually encourage you to do so, since I would never desire to diminish anyone's enjoyment of this wonderful forum .

Additionally, you're free to email or PM me with the details of who you are, why you felt compelled to ignore me, and what character flaws you feel are so pronounced within my demeanor that my ongoing presence within these threads has become unbearable to you. Or you could simply say nothing at all.

Afterwards, being deeply aware that I am far from perfect and not everyone's cup of tea (and therefore being neither surprised nor offended at your action), I will take whatever criticism I feel is valid and try to learn from it. I will then chuck the rest, and go merrily on my way.

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Scatter

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 10, 2009, 05:20:01 PM

You're a perceptive individual Mike...........Snoopy is my role model.

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Nicole

Quote from: Wich2 on August 10, 2009, 04:20:21 PM
Even better-

We could all be weally BIG boys & girls, & not act jerky so that others want to ignore us!!!

Neato!

This is exactly what I dislike about this feature. Those who have ignores visible are now subject to being labeled as "jerks" by the rest of the community. But we already know that some users randomly received ignores when the mods were testing the feature, and others with no known conflicts have also found themselves being ignored. And what about those who have received "retaliatory ignores" for putting another on ignore? Does that make any of these people bad people? Hardly. A person's ignores (or lack thereof) do not necessarily say anything about their character or their likeability. It just means that someone, at some point, clicked a button under someone else's name.