Author Topic: Ignore User Option  (Read 10612 times)

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
Ignore User Option
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:20:18 AM »
This forum now has a new feature available to its members. It's called the "Ignore User" option. I'm sure some members will enjoy using it; especially members who just can't seem to get along with other members of this forum.

The option to ignore somebody may be found underneath the person's avatar of whom you wish to ignore. Look for the word "Ignore". You may also find "Ignore User" settings / options inside your profile control panel.

Please take note that this option will not enable anybody here to continue spewing venom about another member just because they're being ignored. That behavior will still result in immediate termination.

BTW, forum admins and mods cannot be ignored. The ignore option will not work should you wish to ignore the strong arm of the law. Sorry.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:26:07 AM by fmofmpls »
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

CreepysFan

• Sergeant
  • UNCLE CREEPY
Re: Ignore User Option
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »
 Once again Terry, you look after the peace of the UMA Troops.  Sad that such an option should become necessary.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:48 AM »
I haven't noticed any rancor in the ranks.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
"Sad that such an option should become necessary."

Hear, hear, CF.

I recall when the Mego Museum first installed the function; it would be funny, if not so sad, that supposed "adults" can't communicate at a level that would keep such a "nuclear option" unnecessary...

-Craig

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:45 AM »
AMEN Craig!! The UMA for me is a place of fun and escape. Why anyone would want to turn it into a literal battleground is beyond me.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Jscareshock

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:08:46 PM »
Awesome.  Thank you for policing our ranks.  It always amazes me how so many of us forget our origns.  We all came from basically the same lace--a world where we loved monsters but often couldn't speak about it to our friends for fear or ridicule.  Now we have a place to congregate and there are still those who wish to torment and ridicule.  Wow.  Thank you.

Nicole

• Sergeant
  • MALDITO!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »
All I can see is a little question mark box in the area where the ignore button is supposed to be. Is that normal?
"If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly." -Ashleigh Brilliant

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 01:04:40 PM »
All I can see is a little question mark box in the area where the ignore button is supposed to be. Is that normal?

Hmmmm. Most likely not Nicole. The ignore feature with this version of the software is a plug-in which sometimes results in strange behavior for some folks. The next version of this forum's software will be a major upgrade of which the "ignore user" option will be standard operating equipment. When that upgrade takes place (hopefully late 2009), the ignore user option shouldn't act strange any longer. Our members will continue to act strange, but not the "ignore user" option.  ;)

Cinemacabre

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 08:43:35 AM »
Will I be able to Ignore myself, just in case I get to be too much of a pain for my own tastes? I mean, at times, I can be the most annoying person I've ever met?  ;D
D'Entre les Morts,

Cinemacabre

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 05:41:26 AM »
I don't like this function.  If an individual is going to be labeled as being ignored in their profile, then the ignorers should have to own up if they are ignoring people in their profile. If there are relational conflicts, moderators should judge any argumentatives, and issue disciplines or ban accordingly.  I haven't had any arguments with anyone on this site, yet I am listed in my profile as having "ignored" status. So, therefore, this function created to stop in-house fighting (which as I stated should be up to mods to judge on), can now be hit without prejudice. The person being ignored bears the scarlet letter. Nice.

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »
Your point is well taken Anton. I'm not 100% sold on this feature myself. We were just trying it out and attempting to make some options available to folks who can't get along. We will continue to evaluate this option.

I am inviting members to voice their opinions on whether this tool is a benefit, or a detriment to the harmony of this forum. Speak now or forever ignore me.  ;D

toysoldierman2001

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »
I agree with anton.This can cause a lot of unnessary hard feelings.

mike c

• Sergeant
  • A very fine day.
    • The Skull & Pumpkin, est. 1968
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
I agree with anton.This can cause a lot of unnessary hard feelings.

It can if it's not being implemented correctly, and I think that's the case here. It's not a new idea, I've seen it work and work well on a lot of boards, especially when no one knows if they're being ignored (let alone by whom or how many). If that can be done here, I have little problem with it. If it can't be done that way, I say scrap it until it can be implemented correctly.

Mike C.

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 11:59:23 PM »
Well everybody knows my opinion on the ignore button, due to my rantings of being ignored ;D
I'm on the same page as Anton.
No matter how much I disagree with someone or even come to the point that I dislike them, I wont ignore them.
Doc

Elizabeth

• Sergeant
  • FJASND!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 12:23:45 AM »
I don't think the ignore feature in and of itself is a bad idea... many boards have them.  It's especially handy if a forum has a poster who tends towards edgier stuff, and people read at work, and don't want a photo or something popping up on a monitor that might be problematic.

I've never found it helpful, because it leaves gaps in a thread conversation for me... but it should be there for those who might want to use it.

However, I think Mike has raised a VERY good point.  I don't think I've ever been able to see if I was being ignored, or if someone else was ignored.  (I've seen folks post they were going to ignore someone, but that was it.)

Moderators should be able to see that information, but having all of us being able to see that information about someone else feels a bit like peeking in someone's personal file.

When it's a useful tool, it's a good thing, but it's got a double edge right now.

(Heck, it could potentially even go south, with someone who wants to make problems coming on board to see if they could collect the highest numbers of ignores, like people striving for post counts.)

If the function could be changed, to keep that information hidden, that would put this on an even footing with how it is used in other message board communities.

I agree with Mike.