Whats the last song you listened to today??

Started by Dr.Teufel Geist, June 22, 2009, 11:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on August 19, 2019, 06:09:26 AM
  I'll continue tomorrow. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but I'm horrible at typing. Please have patience, and I'll continue with the backstage shenanigans. Hope I didn't bore anyone.

Please do and not boring at all.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

Part chain_saw IV  - Backstage

The Stooges finished their set, and we have to meet them. We ran up the stairs, past the bar and theater seat, thru the narrow hall and right up to the hospitality room door. We knock and the door swings open. Some scruffy guy asks, "What you want?" "Can we meet the band?" He retorts, "You got a dollar to buy Iggy a beer? "Sure", I said handing him a crumpled bill. It was as easy as that. Inside was a sofa with Iggy sprawled out head on his chin (resting? Sleeping? Dead?). We didnt want to disturb the beast..

We decided to start with the rest of the Band. First up, guitarist James Williamson. He had just finished a conversation with some other fans. After a little mindless chit chat, I asked him to sign my folded paper. He was very rockstar-ish, cool, detached, but accommodating. Next, drummer Scott "Rock Action" Ashton. More small talk, autograph and go. Guitarist turned bassist, Ron Ashton was the friendliest. He treated us like old friends. I asked why they didn't play the older songs and he gave an honest answer. Columbia Records requested that they concentrate on promoting the new album. After all, they were financing the tour. Also, Williamson wasn't part of those albums, so it wasn't fair to him. In the middle of all this, someone (who was looking out the open window) said, "Hey, man, it's JETHRO!"  Iggy comes to, "Jethro who?" The dude replies, "Jethro Bodine, man!" Being a "Beverly Hillbillies" fan, I realized he meant actor, Max Bear Jr. Iggy says, "Go get him!"

With Iggy fully conscious, we make our move.  I tell him how great the show was, and he said, "Thanks, man" and signed the final square of my paper (not a man of many words, at least that night). The door opens and there's Jethro f***in'  Bodine. The photogs and press people clamor around him. He makes a hasty retreat. At this point, Rufus have finished their second set, and all were asked to leave.

We scrambled downstairs to wait for Iggy' s second set. The two of us wormed our way to the middle of the dance floor. The place was really packed now. 20 minutes later, The Stooges started their set (same songs, same order, roughly the same energy). I looked around for our waitress and right behind us, near the back wall...Jethro! He had his arms folded and suppressed a smile. Yeah, he was into it (but too cool to let on). Set finished, everyone a sweaty mess and headed out to Sunset Strip. Quite an evening!

Next week or so, we would be back for New York Dolls, then Suzi Quatro, then Silverhead, then Stooges again...and on and on. I have to tell about the Specials with the Go Gos opening. Short story, but I'm done for the night. Thanks for reading.

marsattacks666

Hepcat

Quote from: Mord on August 20, 2019, 05:31:27 AMShort story, but I'm done for the night. Thanks for reading.

Good stuff! Thank you for posting your account.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

Mars & Hep, thanks for the nice words. I'm not so great at writing. I'd rather tell these stories around the campfire.

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on August 20, 2019, 03:20:35 PM
Mars & Hep, thanks for the nice words. I'm not so great at writing. I'd rather tell these stories around the campfire.

Fantastic story, recollections of a really groovy era. You are extremely lucky, my friend.

marsattacks666

Mord

Another Whisky-a-go-go story (Short, I promise).

In 1980 (or '81?) I saw the Specials there on their first tour. The opening act was The Co Gos (Belinda Carlisle was dating their singer, Terry Hall). We went to the front of the stage, as usual. The Go Gos started thier set. Belinda was right under us wearing a long sweater, with nothing underneath. I got a beautiful view for their entire set.

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on August 21, 2019, 02:59:46 AM
Another Whisky-a-go-go story (Short, I promise).

In 1980 (or '81?) I saw the Specials there on their first tour. The opening act was The Co Gos (Belinda Carlisle was dating their singer, Terry Hall). We went to the front of the stage, as usual. The Go Gos started thier set. Belinda was right under us wearing a long sweater, with nothing underneath. I got a beautiful view for their entire set.

I wish I could like this post more than once  8)

geezer butler

These stories are great Mord. I love vintage Hollywood and vintage rock stories. I would seriously listen to you and some other veteran rockers share these stories on a podcast. Would be cool to hear you all reminisce and actually have guests on like Iggy, Alice, Ronnie Wood etc.

I visited LA last Oct. I took these pics. Most of the time  when I'm in Cali i visit my old stomping grounds in San Diego. So that was first time in yrs I made it up to LA. Great fun.

2019-08-18_09-14-58 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-18_09-15-17 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-18_09-15-29 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-18_09-15-41 by geezer2014, on Flickr

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on August 21, 2019, 05:48:04 AM
I wish I could like this post more than once  8)

Tell me about it. Sadly, it was long before the invention of cellphone cameras. I just have to rely on my memory for a playback.

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on August 21, 2019, 05:53:56 AM
These stories are great Mord. I love vintage Hollywood and vintage rock stories. I would seriously listen to you and some other veteran rockers share these stories on a podcast. Would be cool to hear you all reminisce and actually have guests on like Iggy, Alice, Ronnie Wood etc.

I visited LA last Oct. I took these pics. Most of the time  when I'm in Cali i visit my old stomping grounds in San Diego. So that was first time in yrs I made it up to LA. Great fun.

2019-08-18_09-14-58 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-18_09-15-17 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-18_09-15-29 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-18_09-15-41 by geezer2014, on Flickr

Man, I was at Amoeba last Saturday. Next time you're in town, PM me.

marsattacks666

Metallica-Whiplash
James Brown-The Payback
Gary Newman- Metal
                           Complex