What is your favorite Vampire movie?

Started by Dr.Teufel Geist, June 17, 2009, 04:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Teufel Geist

I know alot of people will  probally say "Dracula" with Lugosi or even Lee,
but my favorite Vampire movie is "Salems Lot".
The original with David Soul, not that crappy remake with Rob lowe(no offenese Rob,but that movie sucked)

I've read the book a few times, and watched the movie several hundred times.

LundyAfterMidnight

LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT. I know, technically it's a murder mystery & the slideshow/reconstruction isn't exactly a "movie". Still, I'm thrilled to have this, & Chaney's London vampire is, IMHO, the screen's most unusual, original vampire, AND my favorite monster. This vampiric image has stirred my Monster Kid soul since FM #69, almost 40yrs ago.

My favorite vampire movie proper is HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS.

Next, all Lugosi's vampire portrayals.

A special nod to Max Schreck & NOSFERATU: one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. IF vampires were real, this is what I believe they'd be.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

hammerfan

Near Dark for me.  Lance Henriksen kicks ass (as usual) as a nasty Hillbilly vampire. A nice change from the Goth wannabes out there  LOL
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

Minion

Queen of Blood. Space Vampires count, right?

artistguy

Nosferatu (silent) and  Dracula Prince of Darkness ... well any Lee Drac pick ...:)

Big Bad Wolf

As far as sentimentality goes, I'd have to honestly say the Lugosi Dracula. That's the film that introduced me to classic horror. If I hadn't seen that film as a tot, on a cheap VHS tape out of the bargain bin, I would have never learned to appreciate these films as rapidly as I did. After I saw Dracula, I had to go out and find Frankenstein and The Wolf Man, and I did. I actually dressed up as Dracula that same year, in fact.

However, right up there with it would have to be Shadow of the Vampire. It feels like the classic horror films to me. DaFoe's subtle makeup as Max Shreck's vampire imposter seemed like something right out of the 30s or 40s to me. Plus, there are long periods of the film that go without any music, and I'm reminded of Dracula and Frankenstein, which only had music at the opening, and the ending.

But, for me, above both of those, I'd have to say the original Nosferatu. It was the first true vampire movie (Dracula's Death doesn't count...heh...count...), and without it, the vampire genre would probably be very different today, if it would even exist. The true testament to it's role in the genre is, of course, the "sunlight rule", even though it was all a misunderstanding of Orlok's death.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

BaronLatos35

Man, too hard to nail down:

Classic:

- Nosferatu
- Dracula (1931)
- Dracula Has Risen From the Grave
- Scars of Dracula

Modern:

- Jess Franco's Count Dracula
-'Salem's Lot (1979)
- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- 30 Days of Night
- Let the Right One In
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Creature Features

Could never narrow it down to just one favorite...top 5 in no particular order:

Dracula (1931)
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Fright Night
Salem's Lot (1979)
30 Days of Night

I CAN tell you that Salem's Lot scared me the most as a kid, and 30 Days of Night freaked me the hell out for literally MONTHS after i saw it. (my job requires me to be outside in remote areas  in the wee hours of the morning, lol   ;D  )...
"It's Alive...oh, It's Alive! It's Alive, It's Alive...IT'S ALIVE!!!"

BaronLatos35

Quote from: Creature Features on June 17, 2009, 02:29:10 PM

I CAN tell you that Salem's Lot scared me the most as a kid,

I hear you Creature Features, when I first saw that movie, I had a crucifix under my pillow for a week! (then I read the book, because I didn't learn my lesson the first time. Youth. lol.)
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Creature Features

Quote from: BaronLatos35 on June 17, 2009, 02:31:59 PM
I hear you Creature Features, when I first saw that movie, I had a crucifix under my pillow for a week! (then I read the book, because I didn't learn my lesson the first time. Youth. lol.)

Lol, i wouldnt leave the house at night without a crucifix!   ;D
"It's Alive...oh, It's Alive! It's Alive, It's Alive...IT'S ALIVE!!!"

ChattyLMS

I don't have a favorite but I'd sure like to see Nosferatu. 
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

avenger

Horror of Dracula with Christopher Lee scared the heck out of me when I was a kid.
My favourites are basically all Christopher Lee's portrayals of the count.
Also Dracula 1931
       Nosferatu
       Salem's Lot
       Dusk til Dawn
       Fright Night

Once again, very difficult to choose one .

Unknown Primate

Original SALEM'S LOT & HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS come to mind immediately.  A recent modern one I thought was interesting was THE ADDICTION with Christopher Walken.
Lugosi & Lee are in a class by themselves and NOSFERATU is awesome, too.
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Phantom Stranger

Horror Of Dracula
House Of Dark Shadows
Fright Night
Dracula (1931)
Son Of Dracula
Curse Of The Undead
Dracula 2000 (yes. I liked it. So sue me)
Salem's Lot (original)
From Dusk Till Dawn

FACTO2

How'd I miss this thread?

Can't pick one but here's my list:

Brides of Dracula
Horror of Dracula
The Night Stalker
House of Dark Shadows
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
The Lost Boys
Fright Night
Innocent Blood
Life Force
Count Yorga, Vampire
Blade 2 (best of the series IMHO)
Dracula (1979)
Dracula (1931)

I have watched all of these multiple times probably having watched TNS & Brides the most times.
John Tucky
X-O Facto
http://www.xofacto.com/
"If you go through life without any expectations, you'll never be disappointed."