what was your 1st monster model kit you built..........aurora ???

Started by ICEMANN333, June 04, 2009, 12:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICEMANN333

hello monsters mine was frankenstein..  my dad took me to a small hobby hardware store on milwaukee ave and fullerton ave...in chicago........love at 1st site to see so many kits on a shelf........and yes i still have it ...were you say on my sons shelf in his bedroom.........priceless..........big j..........

Minion

My first monster model was the Aurora glow in the dark version of Godzilla.

monsterphile

I had glow versions of Godzilla and King Kong and a bunch of the Prehistoric Scenes, but I don't remember which one was done first. 

They are awaiting restoration.  Someday...

Rob

poseablemonster

I think mine was the Creature - 70's square glow box.  Around the same time I got Godzilla and Wolfman, so I'm not totally sure which came first - but I definitely liked the Creature best.  I will never forget building those with my dad.

hammerfan

Mine was the original Frankenstein. I was 5 so my Dad helped me build it. When I saw that Bama artwork on the box I was hooked!
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

hammett1

My first monster model kit was DRACULA.  Ah the memories.  I can still smell the enamel paints and the glue.  Mom reminding me to make sure I keep everything on the newspaper.  Great times.  David
hammett1

"In front of me stood a GORILLA in a hat"

lappys22

Gasport

Mine was the long box Franky. I must have been 5 or 6...i built it w/no assistance and did pretty well up until it was time to glue on the head. For whatever reason i decided it needed way more glue than the other parts did. [this was the gool old fashioned toxic stuff] I finished it just before going to bed and when i eagerly got up the next morning to admire my handiwork i noticed Franky's head had completely sunken into his chest due to the melting effect of too much glue... Luckily my older brother helped me with my second attempt and i still have it to this day.

Illoman

Definitely one of the Aurora square boxed ones. Probably Frankenstein, Dracula or Wolf Man, can't remember which one.

Mike

FACTO2

Aurora  Franky here.  And then all the others.  I was hooked!!!
John Tucky
X-O Facto
http://www.xofacto.com/
"If you go through life without any expectations, you'll never be disappointed."

Fester

Well, this is going to date me. :o

All were long box Aurora kits.
Frankenstein was the first, followed by Dracula, then King Kong, and then the Wolfman.

I was in the fifth grade and I recall paying less than a dollar for each.  Testors pla enamel was 10 to 15 cents per bottle and adding a couple of dime brushes and a tube of model cement,  I was investing almost all of my lawnmowing/dog walking/babysitting money.

In Later I added a guillotine, the Phantom of the Opera, Creature from the Back Lagoon, and Dr Jekyll, not to forget the Forgotten Prisoner of Castle Mare.

By the time I was in the 7th grade,I had added the entire line of knights in Armor from Aurora.

Those guys made the best kits.

ChattyLMS

Not a monster kit but a human body that you could see through and take the parts out put them back.  I wait!  I did a model of a human heart and how it pumped blood through the body.  Cool, but neither were scary.  I eventually put a model of the human head together.  That was cool!
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

MDG

Quote from: ChattyLMS on June 04, 2009, 07:01:38 PM
Not a monster kit but a human body that you could see through and take the parts out put them back.
You mean this:

http://www.vintagetoys.com/toy/forsale/classified/107?imgdisplay=1

I had it too. There was also a cow and a dog, I beleive.

My first was a long box creature. I had most of the aurora monsters in original and glow versions, but they didn't make the move when we switched houses.

The other two models I remember having were Lindy Loonies "Road Hog" and one of the 2-piece + hair lindberg monsters.
MDG

Inkfink

Mine was the long box Aurora Frankenstein too but I didn't have glue or paint to put it together. I used rubber bands! I can't remember what happened to that kit. Looking back, my attention span must have been less than two minutes.

OldTimey

Darryl