Author Topic: what was your 1st monster model kit you built..........aurora ???  (Read 7548 times)

Jim Bertges

• Sergeant
Re: what was your 1st monster model kit you built..........aurora ???
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 02:39:45 AM »
This is a great place to post this photo again...

These are most of my original Auroras, circa 1966. My first was Frankenstein and he's the only original one I have left. All the others went to Goodwill when I moved to Los Angeles.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

FACTO2

• Sergeant
    • http://www.xofacto.com
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 04:11:43 AM »
Jim, that pic is too cool.  What a blast from your past.  Very cool.   ;D
John Tucky
X-O Facto
http://www.xofacto.com/
"If you go through life without any expectations, you’ll never be disappointed."

Street Worm

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 06:10:00 AM »
original Aurora Frankenstein was my first, too~

Wolfman66

• Sergeant
  • Right Behind you!
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 06:54:31 AM »
My first kit was the Aurora monsters of the Movies Rodan that built back in 75 and still have it to this day. :)
Clint Eastwood in Tarantula 1955-Dropping Napalm.Follow in Order.

Universal Steve

• Sergeant
  • There are far worse things awaiting man than death
    • Universal Steve
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 12:10:32 AM »
My first model was given to me already built. The Aurora Mummy. The first kit I built myself was the Aurora Frankenstein and I still somehow have them as well as all the original Aurora monster models.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

hhwolfman

• Sergeant
  • Awwww Little Mamby Pamby
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 12:13:33 AM »
Glow Box Mummy, Then a week or two later, Glow Godzilla.

mike c

• Sergeant
  • A very fine day.
    • The Skull & Pumpkin, est. 1968
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 12:33:21 AM »
Glow Wolf Man, as a for-no-special-reason-at-all surprise. Birthday a month or so later, Glow Mummy. Then a Phantom for Christmas.
I was too young to build them entirely by myself (I could hold parts together and follow the instructions but my older brother did the gluing).

Never lost the feeling and had them all growing up, and quite a few of each over time.
I also recall a Rodan and Ghidra (both MOTM?), but they are lost to time.

Mike C.

Creature Features

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 11:12:23 AM »
The first one i ever picked out (mommy bought it for me   :D  ), built, and painted all on my own was Godzilla.

Man, did i ever love that model!!!!
"It's Alive...oh, It's Alive! It's Alive, It's Alive...IT'S ALIVE!!!"

scooke123

• New Recruit
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »
Mine was the longbox Frankenstein. Got all the rest after that as they came out. Only ones I never got were the Munsters, KK Thronester and Godzilla GoCart. Sadly I sold them all at my Aunt's garage sale when I was 18. I think I got less than $20 for them all at the time but thought I was rich then!!! Sure has cost me a lot more to replace them!!!!
Steve

LundyAfterMidnight

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2009, 12:49:43 AM »
Probably the Prehistoric Scenes Sabre-Toothed Tiger. My folks bought it for 50 cents. To this day it's been my favorite prehistoric animal.

The "Glow" Wolf Man was the first proper monster kit I built.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

roymantoyman

• New Recruit
  • roymantoyman
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »
Hello to all humans - My first monster kit I built was the Frankenstein square box from a toy store called 'Karl's Toys' here in Ca.
As a short story go's in my teens I had all the square box monster kits ( glow ) displayed  - on day my brother and I had huge
fight and Phil ( my bro ) walked in to my room and destroyed all my kits to get even w/ me - I can remember it like yesterday -
funny thing is that till this day I have never let him forget what he did to me and my monsters  and I tell him he owes me new
monster kits - ha.. and yes during the years I have replaced all my square box glow monster kits..
You all have a GREAT day and stay kool w/ your family - ha ...
Royman..

lappys22

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »
Long box Frank. What memories!

Creepazoid

• Private First Class
    • Nextonia Arts Model Building Studio
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 11:39:24 AM »
One of my very earliest memories is of my Mom and I building the Aurora Glow square-box King Kong kit, probably in the late 60's, in Miller, IN, in our house on Miami Street. I remember her helping me put parts together, I couldn't have been older than 4. One of my favorite memories of Mom! RIP
The Creepazoid

B. Kolarik
www.nextonia-arts.com

Headless Hearseman

• Private First Class
    • Headless Hearseman / Mad Geppetto
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »
Godzilla. At age 5 in 1972. Glow kit.  Turns out the big guy was my 19 year old sister's fave and she got him for me--she built it and I held some parts as the glue dripped, er, dried.  I recall we used Duco cement!

But my faves were the other monsters. Never had Frankie back then, but my only real fondness for Godzilla comes from the kit experience.

Have built 2 reissue Aurora Revell dinos with my son in the past 4 months (he's only a month into age 4), and he is begging me to do a Revell issue F'stein that justarrived in the mail. We'll be doing this up tonight!
Headless Fritz
maker of monsters
maker of custom kit plates

empty13

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2009, 07:17:23 AM »
frankenstein. also built dracula, mummy, wolfman, creature - square box glow versions (painted all). as an adult, did all of those but creature... plus the phantom of the opera and kong (luminators). we moved, so they are all in a box, still surprisingly intact.

i also built a slew of cars, tanks, ships, planes... not a lot of any category but altogether a bunch. and most comic scenes except never found cap and robin. such was the availability of models in rural south texas in the 70s.

i have so much stuff stockpiled for myself - or really the kids - to build. i did build an enclosed and lighted model workbench to work in. mostly to keep the animals out...