your number 1 famous monsters cover

Started by ICEMANN333, June 03, 2009, 01:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICEMANN333

mine is frogs cover...............big j........whats yours.....no2.....frank vs wolfman.........

MODERATOR'S NOTE:  I've modified some of these posts that did not include pics by adding pics (when I could) to help everyone visualize what cover you're talking about.  If I get the wrong cover or you want the image removed (for some unknown reason) let me know and I'll remove it.  Rob (monsterphile)

Monster Bob

poseablemonster

I think it's #9 - the first Gogos cover with the Vincent Price portrait...love that one.

LundyAfterMidnight

Wow, that's hard! Just one?   #82 HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS cover. Aside from being a die-hard DS fan, I feel it's a very dynamic cover, graphic & colorful, just grabs you!

After that, probably any Basil Gogos, Ken Kelly or Ron Cobb cover.......& FM #1! Like potato chips, hard to stop at 1!

"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

BaronLatos35

The first ones that come to mind:

Ingrid Pitt from Vampire Lovers #122 (Who can resist hot, sexy vampire women!)

Wolf Man #99 (one of the best paintings of the Wolf Man, with a House of Frankenstein byline)

Dracula # 30 (Powers of Dracula headline just sounds cool)

"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

hammerfan

I love the Gorgo cover by Gogos.

Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

CreepysFan

My favorite is the cover of the first FM I owned, FM 102, with the Lon Chaney Phantom cover.

" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Dr.Teufel Geist

Elizabeth

(Glad you are going to add pics, Rob, because I can't remember the issue number on one of my selections, and I loaned out my Gogos art book and my FM list to a friend, and I could not find it on line... )

My number one favorite for the artistry is #56, the Karloff memorial issue, with the elegant, haunting and touching oil portrait of Karloff in Frankenstein monster make-up, by Basil Gogos.  I think Gogos captured so much in that painting-- the pain Karloff's suffered enduring the make-up and costume (that made him a star), the pathos of the Creature, the strength and dignitiy of the actor, and the grief that fans felt at his passing.  That cover is, to me, one of the most emotional pieces ever produced.

A runner up though is a quirky one-- it's a very impressionist-looking Frankenstein monster (green face on a white background), also by Gogos.  (An unusually simple cover.)  It's almost a bit shocking, it's so brief and raw.

For sentimental favorite... #117, a Ken Kelly rendering of the Seventh Voyage of Sinbad-- which was my first FM.  :)  (It was a real treat to meet him at Wonderfest.)  I think this cover is like a snapshot of the movie, and captures so much of the joy of the world of Harryhausen.

Dr.Teufel Geist

Dr.Teufel Geist

Elizabeth

Quote from: Dr.Teufel Geist on June 03, 2009, 04:38:56 PM

for you Elizabeth.

Thank you, Dr. G!  Beautiful!

That Karloff cover never fails to stop me in my tracks.  And only Basil Gogos would capture a moment of sadness so eloquently, but bathe it in a warm, orange background like that... an affirmation to the legacy that will live on!

And you just can't beat a Harryhausen skeleton for action/adventure in my book.  They are the best.   I think Kelly's covers were like capturing frames from the movies. :)

BaronLatos35

Thanks for the pics of these great covers. Makes me want to pick up some more FM!

Never seen the skeleton warrior one, definitely looking for that one now as well as the Dark Shadows one.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."

BaronLatos35

I forgot:

Fear Book 1970 with a great pic of Lugosi on the cover. (sorry no pics)

Cinemacabre

I have to go with #56 too. Love Karloff and 56 has alwaysa been my lucky number. I was born in '56... 1956, not 1856!
D'Entre les Morts,

Cinemacabre