Author Topic: Pages from an old casting directory...BORIS!  (Read 3273 times)

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
Pages from an old casting directory...BORIS!
« on: November 10, 2007, 02:19:45 PM »
Picked up a few pages from a circa 1930-31 casting directory at Bash a couple years ago, and this is one of the ones I like best.  Sara K. said she had never seen this image of her dad before and had me make copies of it for her.

Robert in Ohio...aka typhooforme
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:25:20 AM by typhooforme »
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

gracebuster

• Sergeant Major
Re: Page from an old casting directory...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »
Wow, probalbly a page from an old ACADEMY PLAYERS DIRECTORY, if thats what it was called then.

As for Karloff, the actor, did you all know that he was one of the founding Members of the SCREEN ACTOR'S GUILD.

I believe he had card #9 or something amazing like that.

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »
Wow, probalbly a page from an old ACADEMY PLAYERS DIRECTORY, if thats what it was called then.

As for Karloff, the actor, did you all know that he was one of the founding Members of the SCREEN ACTOR'S GUILD.

Dan, Checked the pages I have, and they're from the Standard Casting Directory, dated between Sept. 1930 and Aug. '31.  I'll try to post the photos on the other pages, too--there's a great horrific makeup for his role as "Cokey Joe" in YOUNG DONOVAN'S KID.
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

The Drunken Severed Head

• 2013 Donator
  • Friend...GOOOD!
    • The Drunken Severed Head
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 01:37:49 PM »

Yep, he was interested in actor's working conditions. He had not liked his experiences at Universal, which he once described as a "toilet".

Bela Lugosi's membership was around #24, if I recall correctly.

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 08:25:40 PM »
Here are the other photos from the casting directory pages (and the first one again, in a new scan) in my collection.  Sara K had never seen the two handsome shots, nor the Cokey Joe one.  That profile shot is a stunner, isn't it?   Look out, John Barrymore--there's another Great Profile in Hollywood!  Please pardon the pixillation--the scanner and the dots in the printing process had a disagreement!

Robert in Ohio

gracebuster

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meek

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 09:48:12 PM »

Elder Robert: What lovely bone structure younger Boris presents in these head shots; what year is "Young Donovan's Kid", before or after the Monster?

"Meek"(me Father always told me to get a head)
"I am like a Unicorn in a racing stable. Beast doesn't fit."   T.E.Lawrence

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »
   Elder Robert: What lovely bone structure younger Boris presents in these head shots; what year is "Young Donovan's Kid", before or after the Monster?

"Meek"(me Father always told me to get a head)

Dear Meek, Here's the lineup (according to Gifford) of movies in order of CHRONOLOGICAL PRODUCTION  (with copyright dates): 
YOUNG DONOVAN'S KID 22 May '31
THE PUBLIC DEFENDER 22 July '31
SMART MONEY 3 June '31
I LIKE YOUR NERVE 2 Sept. '31
FIVE STAR FINAL 8 Sept. '31
THE MAD GENIUS 27 Oct. '31
GRAFT 8 Sept '31
THE YELLOW TICKET 7 Oct. '31
THE GUILTY GENERATION 4 Nov. '31
BUSINESS AND PLEASURE 30 Nov. '31
TONIGHT OR NEVER 26 Dec. '31
FRANKENSTEIN 18 Nov. '31
Quite a few between Cokey Joe and The Monster! 
Robert in Ohio

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 08:56:19 AM »
Guys-

Boris knew the plight of struggling actors well, and was VERY active in the formation of SAG (which shoulda been "Motion Picture Actor's Equity," but we won't go there...)

As were folks like Jimmy Gleason and Alan Mowbray - and this was in the days when tires got slashed.

Gary Rhodes' excellent scholarship seems to prove that Bela was active too, as he had been in this field back in Hungary; but, having been burnt there, and perhaps fearing he would paint them too "pink," he was more of a a Silent Partner.

Happy Holidays,
-Craig W.
(SAG/AFTRA/AEA)

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
Re: Pages from an old casting directory...BORIS!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 10:38:07 AM »
Boris never left the building until he was sure he was no longer needed--and like Chaney Sr. (who encouraged him so much early on), was forever interested in the lives and work of the stagehands, electricians, costumers--the people who made the movies possible.  That was a fine post, Craig, and a beauty of a photo.  Any chance we can i.d. everyone in that picture?
Robert in Ohio