MONSTERS FROM THE VAULT #24!

Started by EDITOR MFTV, January 02, 2008, 07:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDITOR MFTV

The final line-up for Monsters from the Vault #24 is set and the contents are listed below. The issue will be going to the printer on Monday (1/7/08), and should start shipping to subscribers by the end of the month (in a perfect world). I'd like to apologize to some of my writers for having to cut their reviews (and articles) due to space limitations. Many of the articles in the new issue are longer than normal (as was many of the reviews) so the 64 pages filled up quickly. Unfortunately, due to the high cost of printing and shipping it's no longer possible for me to go past 64 pages. To get all of the reviews in alone would have added at least an additional 10 pages (not to mention the pages required for the articles). Here's the list of people (with the review that was cut in parentheses) whose reviews had to be cut this issue: Anthony Ambrogio (The Dinosaur Filmography [this will definitely run in the next issue along with an article by the book's author, Mark Berry]), Steve Kronenberg (Universal Horrors, Second Edition [I held this out because I didn't have room for John Clymer's interview with the authors and I want them to run together.]), Gary Prange (The Creepy Cruds CD [I really need to get this in somehow]), John Rozum (Bob Tinnell comic books [I may make this a Web exclusive.]). I also didn't have room for some of Mark Clark's DVDs reviews, Steven Thornton's reviews of the Arkoff Collection double feature DVDs, and Marty Baumann's Crypt of Terror DVD reviews. Hopefully, these will all make it into the next issue. These reviews (and articles) were cut simply because the ones that appear in the issue fit the limited space better. Unfortunately, 64 pages fills up really quickly when you have some long articles and lots of photos (which we pride ourselves on). Now to the contents:

MONSTERS FROM THE VAULT #24 CONTENTS:

-VIEW FROM THE VAULT

-LETTERS TO THE VAULT

-MEXICAN MONSTERS INVADE AMERICA! Fans Rejoice! by Bryan Senn. Bryan goes south of the border to look at some of Mexico's best loved horror films of the 1950s and '60s recently released by CasaNegra Entertainment on DVD.

-EL VAMPIRO SPEAKS! An Interview with Mexican Horror Star German Robles by Bryan Senn, Richard Sheffield, and Jim Clatterbaugh. Monsters from the Vault caught up with Mexican horror star German Robles at Monster Bash and talked with him about his career and what keeps "El Vampiro" busy today.

-SPECIAL EFFECTS WIZARD JOHN P. FULTON by Joanne Fulton Schaefer (As Told to Tom Weaver). Universal Studios' special effects wizard John P. Fulton is remembered by daughter Joanne and longtime contributor Tom Weaver. The article features many rare photos from Fulton's personal scrapbook.

-CHANEY TALKS! A Tantalizing Glimpse at What Might Have Been by Scott Berman. Lon Chaney's two Unholy Three films are examined in detail by Scott, and he ponders what might have been had Chaney's career continued into the early days of the talkies.

-SUMISHTA BRAHM REMEMBERS HER FATHER, JOHN BRAHM by Marty Baumann. First-time contributor Marty Baumann (The Astounding B Monster) interviews Sumishta Brahm, daughter of renowned cult-film director John Brahm, whose credits include The Lodger, Hangover Square, The Undying Monster, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Thriller, and The Outer Limits.

-FILMS FROM THE VAULT
DVD Reviews by Mark Clark

-The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection
-The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection, Volume 2
-Universal Horror Classic Movie Archive

-BOOKS FROM THE VAULT
Reviews by Steve Kronenberg

-Bela Lugosi: Dreams and Nightmares by Gary D. Rhodes with Richard Sheffield
-Good Night, Whatever You Are: My Journey with Zacherley, The Cool Ghoul by Richard Scrivani

Also, a big thanks to Terry for the MFTV banner at the top of this forum, and hopefully there'll be an article on the UMA's traveling museum in the next issue of Monsters from the Vault, which should be out in time for Monster Bash in June.

Jim Clatterbaugh
Editor/Publisher MFTV
www.monstersfromthevault.com

typhooforme

Beautiful cover, Jim, and the John Brahm article calls to me. I'll be on this issue like a duck on a junebug.
Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

fmofmpls

Great looking cover! Great content! Great monster magazine! Great editor!

Mandatory reading for all UMA members!
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

EDITOR MFTV

Quote from: fmofmpls on January 04, 2008, 10:53:36 PM
Great looking cover! Great content! Great monster magazine! Great editor!

Mandatory reading for all UMA members!

Thanks Terry, the check is in the mail!
Jim Clatterbaugh
Editor/Publisher MFTV

The Drunken Severed Head

The first issue of my subscription, and it's a beaut!

EDITOR MFTV

The new issue is being delivered today and all subscriber/contributor copies will go out in Monday's mail.
Jim Clatterbaugh
Editor/Publisher MFTV