Aurora Prototype Metaluna Mutant...

Started by Mcdee, April 29, 2009, 12:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcdee

Quote from: mcdougall;2808738I just got this in the Mail yesterday...It's the Aurora Prototype Metaluna Mutant, very rare...not many Prototypes floating around...Still looking for the MOTM Godzilla...

The pieces are extremely well cast and the detail is crisp
I don't believe there are any left...
Mcdee

Remember, it's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!

Getter_1

are these currently for sale?  This looks pretty cool!

Mcdee

These were part of the Aurora kits that were made into Prototypes but never produced...
I found this picture and caption on page 94 of Thomas Grahams' 'Aurora Model Kits' book published in 2004

So they aren't being made any more and there never were many made on this  one and only  production run in 2001
Mcdee

Creepazoid

then why does the certificate say 2009??? mcdee are you kit-blocking? ;D i need one
The Creepazoid

B. Kolarik
www.nextonia-arts.com

Mcdee

No Man...No way would I 'Kit Block'...I'm a lot of things ...but not a 'Kit Blocker" ;D
It's kind of a neat story...I'm also a member at the the ClubHouse and HobbyTalk and I've been searching for Aurora Prototypes for a while now...a guy named Pete Molemento mentioned he had the Fay Wray Prototype and was casting 50 kits...So I bought one...here it is...
...Well that was all I needed to go crazy and start searching the other Aurora Prototypes out...When I read that 24 Mutants were cast in 2001 in Thomas Grahams Book I Emailed  Al Reboiro (mentioned in the book) and  it turns out he had a couple left...and that's why the recent date...I took a chance thinking these were long ago sold out and forgotten and my chance paid off...I also got this Aurora Prototype
...and now this...
...and now I'm on the Hunt for this one...
It's the  Aurora MOTM Godzilla destroying the Tokyo Tower...I tracked down everything just by using the computer...google and Thomas Grahams Aurora Book...and I'm still on the hunt :)
Mcdee

Creepazoid

thats pretty cool mcdee. so the mutant was for the MOTM line? it looks like it from the poseable parts
The Creepazoid

B. Kolarik
www.nextonia-arts.com

Mcdee

Yeah...That's right...but all those cool MOTM kits got put on indefinate ice when Nabisco (Auroras' parent company) coward , due to a backlash of protests over the Monster Scenes kits...the rest is history...
Mcdee

hammett1

Awesome score. Thank you kindly for sharing the pictures and the story behind the hunt.  Good luck with the MOTM Godzilla.  David
hammett1

"In front of me stood a GORILLA in a hat"

Wolfman66

Denis good to see ya posting over here and yap that Monsters of the Movie Mutant is a Rare one and one that glad that won aswell.I have number 22 ;D

Clint Eastwood in Tarantula 1955-Dropping Napalm.Follow in Order.

Auroranut

Mcdee

Quote from: Auroranut on May 02, 2009, 12:08:47 AM
BOO!!!!

Chris. :)
[/quote
Whoa Chris....You scared the diapers right off me!!!
Fancy meeting you here  ;D
Denis

Richard

I ran into one of these at WonderFest in 2006. As I understand it, all of the original prototype's pieces were present except for one foot (which was resculpted) and the base/nameplate (also sculpted) . I remember something about this being 1 of 26 castings but I have no certificate (no proof), as Mcdee shows, and so don't know if this is 1 of the 26. I purchased it from Al Reboiro (Python Kits) so assume it's authentic (cast from the original). It was assembled as shown and the claws/arms are quite adjustable. It's great to see the kit's parts inside and out. It's a bit heavy and I had wondered how thick the resin casting was. The resin color on my example is a light blue. I have posed it next to Frankie McNugget for size comparison. The Mutant is about 6 inches tall.
Thanks, mcdee, for posting the certificate and kit pieces!
Best,
Richard

Mcdee

Wow Richard !...I think that is one of the Original 12...These are all very rare with only 26 made in the whole World!
Mcdee

Creepazoid

funny pose, looking down like that -  like he's sayin "LOOK!!! I found a frankie mcnugget on the floor!" or like he is drunk and about to fall down
The Creepazoid

B. Kolarik
www.nextonia-arts.com

Scary Terry

I wish I'd been able to snag one of these -- but  just didn't have the bucks to spare at the time.  Likewise for the Aurora Phantom  (comic character -- not "of the Opera") prototype that was offered in resin a while back.  Oh well -- can't have everything...
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com