Author Topic: Restoration services  (Read 2001 times)

roddmatsui

• Private First Class
Restoration services
« on: December 30, 2007, 01:57:56 PM »
I did want to mention, this this is a toy and prop collecting forum at its core, that I have been restoring movie props for some time now, creature, mask and puppet items specifically.  This can be done to improve a piece for a private collection or to make a piece more valuable for auction sale.  My movie special effects background allows me to approach this type of work with modern materials.  I don't have an entirely open schedule but I can fit the odd job in here and there, so feel free to PM me if you have something that needs restoring.  Thanks!

Rodd

Toy Ranch

• Army Administrator
  • d
  • Monster Geek
Re: Restoration services
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 02:29:23 PM »
Cool Rodd...  do you have any examples of your work to share?

roddmatsui

• Private First Class
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 02:45:24 PM »
Yes, I do have some.  I reconstructed a Ray Harryhausen miniature from "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms," and created a backdrop for it.  In most cases, I repair things on a private basis, so I can't post photos of all the things.   

In this instance, the surviving section of the roller coaster miniature had been slowly coming apart over several decades and there were numerous breaks--it was in many pieces.  So putting it back together was very much like doing a puzzle.  I analyzed the breaks to figure out which part went where. 

The monster was flat, just a digitally manipulated publicity photo with parts rearranged, and the tail is newly added.  It was printed out large size to be about the same height as the coaster.  It went behind the roller coaster model to give a sense of the scene in the movie. 

The roller coaster wood was all balsa wood.  It was scary working on this piece because it was so old and delicate!  But such a rare opportunity and lots of fun.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:01:33 PM by roddmatsui »

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for sharing the info and pix, as well as your services.  It's pretty cool that you got to work on the Rhedosaurus.

sts
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!